X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gostan
    • May 2003

New 805's Surprise!

Last evening was the first night of Hannukah. My wife pushed a somewhat big square low box out of the extra room and said "Happy Hannukah Stan". I was beyond shocked when I pulled off the wrapping paper to find a box containing one Nautlilus 805 loudspeaker. The second one was in the other room.

She went to Natural Sound and purchased these for me to complete my 800 Series I 5.1 speaker se-up of 803's, HTM1 and ASW 850. I will have to deliver the trade-in pair of CDM1NT's to the dealer today. I guess the only reason that the 805's went out the dealer door without the trade-ins' in hand was because of my loyalty in purchases and $$ to Natural Sound.

I removed the 1's from their stands and placed the 805's on the 1NT stands (these stands will have to do the trick for now) and revved up some Ray Brown and Kevin Mahogany sacd's. Late we watched the Chronicles of Riddick. I must say that the 805's offer a much smoother musical transistion with the 803's than the 1NT's did. I did not realize how muddied the 1NT's sounded with the 803's. Now I will have to break the 805's in. That should be a lot of fun - no chore for me.

Sure, I would like to have been able to jump in on the new 800S (more likely the 800D series), but I will be and am very comfortable and happy with the sounds of my series I 800's. I have about 2 1/2 to 3 years to trade up if I decide to, or if I can then afford to.

Interestingly, my wife originally went in to my dealer with the idea of getting me the turntable I have been desiring for some time. However, the idea and price of a good turntable, anti-vibration table, upgraded cartridge and phono pre-amp was too complicated and expensive for her to deal with. I told her that I too have had a problem with all of this.

I am one very lucky surprised guy. I hope that some of you have a spouse or significant other upgrade your audio-video system for the holidays.

Gostan : :lol:
    Stan
  • KEF
    • Aug 2004

Very impressive - my wife would have absolutely no clue.... sigh. :cry:

In any case, I am looking forward to when NS gets the new line in to hear if they are as good as the claims.

Cheers,
    Keith

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Well Stan - that certainly sets the bar high for the next 7 nights!
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• gostan
        • May 2003

Potato latkes, dreidels and maybe a cd or dvd or two for the next 7 nights.
        Stan

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

That's great Stan.

Azeke

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Congrats and definitely enjoy "breaking in" those 805s!!!!!

You definitely give guys like me some hope that someday they can find a girl that cool!

One day, I just keep telling myself. ha ha
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• gostan
              • May 2003

Originally posted by PewterTA
              Congrats and definitely enjoy "breaking in" those 805s!!!!!

You definitely give guys like me some hope that someday they can find a girl that cool!

One day, I just keep telling myself. ha ha
              I have found that the second time around has been better in many ways. The 805's are just another example of how much better.

Stan
              Stan

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

That's awesome Stan! Congratulations. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• will1066
                  • Aug 2003

Congrats, Stan. I wish I had 805s for gifts. I was just looking at your system pic the other day.

Comment

• gostan
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by will1066
                    Congrats, Stan. I wish I had 805s for gifts. I was just looking at your system pic the other day.
                    Will

Thanks to you and all who have offered their congrats. I am going to have to post some new rack and system pictures, as I have rebuilt my Salamander Archetype 5.0 rack with a 42" long top shelf, relocated the rack to a side wall and placed my sub back at the front of the listening-viewing area between my monitor and right front speaker. The sound and aesthetics are all now in their perfect places to stay.

Now the only system segment I need to really work on is my speaker cabling as the rack relocation results in the need of new longer front speaker and center channel speaker cabling. So, my new question of the day is should I stay bi-wire or go with some higher quality regular speaker cables for the front speakers. That also begs the question as to whether I change my rear speaker wires to conform with the new front speaker wires.

Stan :lol:
                    Stan

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

bi-wire. and when you figure the rear speaker wire question, let me know.

Comment

• ti33er
                        • Apr 2004

805's? - the NEW ones!? ...if so, how do they sound!!!!
                        "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• gostan
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by ti33er
                          805's? - the NEW ones!? ...if so, how do they sound!!!!
                          Serie I 805's to match my other Series I Nautilus speakers. From what I understand the new S & D series Nautilus speakers are not available until next year. They do sound great and complement the balance of my speaker system.
                          Stan

Comment

• ti33er
                            • Apr 2004

lol, I am waiting with bated breath for somebody who has properly auditioned the new 805S - I would have sold you my pristine 805's (if you lived in this country, and I had of known your awesome wife of course!) :wink:
                            "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• gostan
                              • May 2003

Believe me, for one brief moment I thought of asking my wife if we could return the series I 805's to the dealer and wait for a pair of series II 805's....but how could I do that - she would have been so disappointed..and so would I...after all of her forethought about this wonderful present.
                              Stan

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

Stan,

I think you are better off keeping your speakers matched to the same series.

Comment

• gostan
                                  • May 2003

Dan

I know that you are correct - my one moment of hesitation was on Tuesday night when I took off the wrapping paper and saw the Nautilus 805 on the box....never a hesitation since.

Now I am into full-bore speaker wire researching, investigations and listening; which I might add is a much more difficult task than speaker auditioning.

Stan
                                  Stan

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

Ya, I ordered my SCM1's last week. I asked my dealer to inventory them for me, but he is pretty nice guy and might let me take them home early if I put a deposit down. I don't have a house yet, so am kind of hesitant on getting good wire for the rear, since the length may change when I buy a house, but am curious about that as well.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"