X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Murunga
    • Feb 2005

SCM1 or 805 as rears?

My original design was 805's as rears. My wife then said I could not place 805's and stands on the floor there and that I'd have to go with a shelf on the rear wall. So should I just put my (I already have them) 805's on the shelf or get SCM1's for wall mount? Do the 805's sound better? Are they the same drivers? I am of the opinion 805's would still sound better even against the wall, but I have no evidence for this only speculation. I can use my 805's as surrounds although I was desiring 804's as surrounds (802's front). All are Nautilus line.

Thanks in advance.

Murunga
  • Mark_C.
    • Jan 2003

It seems most recommendations are to position 805s away from the wall. I have 805s as my main HT speakers, and they are positioned about 18 inches away from the wall behind. I'm curious about the SCM1s myself, although I haven't come up with a good excuse yet to upgrade my rears.

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I have SCM1's as my left and right surrounds and I think they sound fantastic. They replaced 603's and seem every bit as full while enjoying the nautilus charactaristics. I highly recommend them!
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• greggz
        • Jun 2002

I have the SCM1's and they sound great. The SCM1's crossover point matches that of the 804, 803, 802, 801, and 800. (4000 Hz). The N805's are crossed over at 3000Hz. The SCM1’s are designed with close wall proximity in mind. The N805’s are not.

When experimenting with placement on the SCM1's, I found that if I mounted them the same height as the N805's would be on their stands, that most of the sound just shot into the back of my couch. (I am using ITU placement guidelines - 0 degrees, 30 degrees and 110 degrees, rather than Dolby placement guidelines) By mounting them higher and angling them down toward the listener slightly I got a much better rear soundstage.
        Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Listen to greggz, he gives good advice. I am in the same boat you are and I choose the SCMS's (very similar to the SCM1's) for these very reasons.
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"