X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taco
    • May 2003

Question about B&W Nautilus 805's without stands

I have 802's up front in my HT. There is a sturdy wall shelving unit behind my seating area. I'm considering purchasing a couple 805's to place on the shelves for rear speakers. Would there be any problem with this? Would they need anchored some how?

Thanks for your help.
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Although these speakers are called "bookshelf", they really are not suited for placement on a bookshelf. Especially when they have no room around them, they will sound quite a lot worse.

When bought together with their original stands, they are actually firmly attached to the stands with screwtype things. This will make the stand become one with the speaker and adding to its stiffness.

When placing such a speaker loosly on a shelf there is a change the vibrations of the speakers go into the shelf, causing additional noises. Decoupling through rubber feet is an option. Although the preferred way is coupling the speakers to something with more mass (like spikes on your concrete floor).

My suggestion, try it out without the stands. You can always decide to get the stands if you can place them offcourse.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

When speakers are designed, room placement is taken into consideration.

Most speakers are 'voiced' for placement away from any significant boundies. As a result placing them in a bookshelf or on a wall, will usually result in muddy midrange performance, because there will too much boundry loading from the adjacent surfaces.

To avoid these problems it's best to choose a speaker that's specifically designed (voiced) for wall placement.

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Scarp
        • Mar 2003

Indeed, if you really need to put speakers against a wall, then I can recommend B&W SCM1's. These are essentially the 805's, but with wall mount brackets and somewhat flatter design. They are a tiny bit more expensive than the 805's without stands, but are designed for wall mounting (brackets included!)

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"