X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_s
    • Mar 2005

Use of 800D and/or 802D in mix H/T 5 Ch Audio, and Amplifer Perspectives

I'm at a point in life (pretty old) where I hope to make a "final" configuration choice in a audio / video solution. It's also my first venture out of the realm of "receivers" so a lot of new ground and a very different level of investment. Roughly a year ago, i had somewhat decided on B&W, especially the 802 models, and the HTM1 as the center channel option but wanted to wait for the new models, which are now at hand.

My room is 26 feet by 17.5 feet by 9.5 foot ceiling. Use will be roughly 50-50 music and home theater / TV.

Input requested on 800D vs 802D for the front left and right. HTM1D vs HTM2D as the center. For rears / surround, I'm torn between 5.1 with two full range speakers for both H/T and multi-channel audio, or a 7.1 setup, probably with the DS8S and SCMS.

Input also requested on amplification and processor. Complete novice here, but have preliminarily reviewed (not yet heard) the new Classe delta and McIntosh. In the Classe line, it would probably be CA2200 / CA M400 and in McIntosh the MC501 and MC402. I'd like perspective on these and their corresponding matching prepro (SSP600 and CX135 I think). I'm willing to consider other alternatives if I'm missing the boat here, but at some point soon I'll need to be done with the research and move on with the decision, hopefully with no major mistakes given the cost involved.

Any insights on matching to a subwoofer for H/T (new B&W 875 or other ?), or even if a subwoofer would be necessary with these speaker and amplifier choices. Last item, recommendations for cables for these combinations of speakers / electronics ?

Thanks.
  • js24
    • Feb 2005

if you think this is your "final" system, don't hold anything back. Go for the best of best - 800D + MC501
    My old man is just retired and he is probably going for the 800D with MC501 or MF kw750 (not out yet). He preferred the MC402 over the CAM400 with the old 800Sig. (we are just two channel geeks )
    If you look around this forum, you will find lots of helpful discussions.
    Good luck:T

Comment

• peete
      • Mar 2005

peete

Those B&W's are fabulous.
      I use Spectral amp/preamp & MIT cables to good effect.
      Power conditioning from MIT and extreme electrical & mechanical isolation of CD player has been essential to allow speakers full performance to be realized. If I were shopping today I'd want the AC & CD isolation in place for any demo as the noise without it would render it impossible to evaluate the other components true potential.
      Happy hunting.
      Pete

Comment

• joe_s
        • Mar 2005

Thanks for the input. I believe I will be able to hear the 802D / MC501 combo very soon. I'll ask the dealer their timeline for 800D. I haven't found a dealer in this area carrying Spectral, but I appreciate the perspective, and will look around again.

My biggest remaining questions:
        (1) anyone with HTM1D experiences and comparisons with HTM2D
        (2) anyone have experiences with the McIntosh MX135 processor for either
        music or home theater or both
        (3) 800D vs 802D comparison ? (unclear whether I'll be able to hear for myself at this time)

Thanks again.

Comment

• fatcat
          • Feb 2005

mx-135

The McIntosh pre-amp you're referring to is the MX-135. It's basically a marriage between a top 2-channel McIntosh pre-amp and a surround sound processor, and is McIntosh's best attempt to maintain 2-channel-quality audio in a surround sound environment. I've used one for 9 months, and it's a beautiful machine indeed. It is lacking HDMI / DVI inputs and outputs, as are its competitors at this stage, but that's irrelevant from an audio perspective. There is also no multi-channel digital audio in for SACD/DVD-Audio, such as firewire or some of the proprietary solutions offered by Denon and Meridian. If you use a top-quality source player with built-in bass management and quality D/A, this is not an issue either, and frankly both formats are limited moving forward. You can wait 18 months for all these format issues to shake out, but there will always be more on the horizon. I've also noticed that the MX-135 is one of the only top pre-amps to offer Prologic IIx built in (instead of as an upgrade).

Anyway, in all other areas, the MX-135 is king. Extremely quiet (unlike many surround processors), easy to use, easy to see what it's doing at a glance, numerous inputs/outputs, and classy looks.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"