X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brahma
    • Jun 2005

Just auditioned 800D's

It was only a 20 minute session, using a McIntosh MC402. Source material was a test CD called Highway 1.

Simply sensational is all I can say, par-excellence and unequivocally the best sounding speakers I've ever heard.

Without getting into an in depth analysis, (an emotive experience can only be put into so many words and I'm not a proffesional reviewer), I found the sound stage to have a precision and expansiveness and height to it that left me wondering about the marvels of true Hi-Fi that a recorded sound image can be reproduced so flawlessly.

Larger than life sums it up. Bass wise I would have liked to hear a bit more, as I'm used to having my chest thump - but these speakers probably produce more of a natural bass than my ear is used anyway, also the room wasn't ideal for a stable bass floor. Tweeter sweet sweet sweet all the way.

Closing my eyes and forgetting momentarily that there were in fact speakers there and not a live performance took no effort of imagination.

So if this is what a $35k set of speakers sounds like, then I'm proceeding with my plans for a purchase.
    Brahma
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

I demo-ed the 800Ds last saturday. They were hooked up to two Marantz MA-9S1 amplifiers and the source was a Marantz SA11-S11.

Let me start out by saying all frequencies came out beautifully. The highs were by no means too bright, the mids were clear and flawless (limited only by the quality of the recording) and the bass was tight and accurate.

HOWEVER, considering these weer EUR 10.000 speaker, I cannot say I was that impressed... Most obvious to me was the disappointing soundstage. I could clearly point out the exact location of both speakers (come to think of it, maybe even the drivers). Somehow they refused to work together (they were not connected out of phase). Since I know this has to do a lot with placement: they were app. 10 feet apart from one another and the 'toe in' was app. 30 degrees (too much?).

Second the bass. I'm sorry for being rude, but my EUR 450 sub produces lower bass! Ofcourse not as tight as the 800D's bass, but I cannot help thinking the 800Ds will be dissappointing as bassperformers in a HT setup...

I cannot believe I have heard the 800D's up to their maximum potential so I will not draw any conclusions yet. However what I can say is that next time I hear them they'll have to redeem themselves from this first experience instead of starting with a neutral impression...
    Last edited by weijst; 13 June 2005, 09:41 Monday.
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• ti33er
      • Apr 2004

Hi Weijst

You need to hear those 800Ds paired with Classe Omega Mono's - flawless reproduction and balance throughout the sound spectrum IMO. However I do know what you mean by lack of bass because I too thought they sounded a little hollow/bass-light at first but after listening for a while I realised that this was a natural bass that I had not experienced before, not bloated or gut-punching, but balanced (IMO)

Cheers, Paul

PS. I never really thought those Classe Omega’s were worth their salt but I could really hear the difference on the D versions with them.
      "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Brahma
        • Jun 2005

Sound stage wise, the pair I auditioned had a 3 dimensional sound stage that was tall, wide, deep. The image was so pin sharp and un-waiveringly accurate that I could hear each instrument presented in a matrix in front of me in a way I've never even dreamed of before.

Being able to hear where the speakers were located just didn't come into it for me..

So goes to show you, though there are collective experiences in Hi-Fi, it is definately a very subjective thing.

That or the Marantz Amp was lousy..
        Brahma

Comment

• caleb
          • Aug 2004

Just my penny's worth.

800's need to be AT LEAST 1.5 metres away from any surfaces (walls cupboards etc)..

If they are not then buy yourself a pair of cheap and nasties - they just won't work.

In many demo rooms the larger 800 series are not well placed and therefore don't sound their best.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by caleb
            Just my penny's worth.

800's need to be AT LEAST 1.5 metres away from any surfaces (walls cupboards etc)..

If they are not then buy yourself a pair of cheap and nasties - they just won't work.

In many demo rooms the larger 800 series are not well placed and therefore don't sound their best.
            True words!
            The 800D is a large speaker and requires room (space) to function properly. The minimum 1.5M distance from a surface is truely a minimum.

Regarding a powered sub having "more bass" than a floor stander.
            "Well no kidding"

I've heard $300 dollar subs put out more bass than $44,500.00 Maxx Wilsons, at respective volumes.

More Bass or accurate bass, that is the question. Jack Daniels makes more whisky than Knob Creek, so it must be better.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

• caleb
              • Aug 2004

Jack Daniels???

"Jack Daniels makes more whisky than Knob Creek,"

IMHO nothing wrong with Knob Creek - I drink it myself.

But for the real McCoy try Blantons gold - truly nectar in a bottle!! ;x(

By the way th is is not "OFF TOPIC" as I drink it listeing to my B&Ws. :rofl: :rofl:

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                • Apr 2005

Absolutely!

I had a few short glasses of Blantons in (of all places) Columbus Ohio one cool summer afternoon back when i was the Mark Levinson Nat. Sales Manager

you are correct sir,
                Nectar of the Gods

thanks for straightening me out, I kinda dropped the Jack D. analogy into the Mid-Fi realm by using Knob Creek as my Hi-End comparitor.

:T

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"