X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jordi
    • Dec 2004

N802 vs 802D

Help Please!

I have found a pair of N802 (2004 models) used models for $5k in excellent condition. I had my heart set on purchasing the new 802D's. Has anyone compared the two. The new 802D's would cost me $10, 800. Is it worth the cost difference. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Jordi
  • luszer
    • Feb 2003

I would be hard pressed if there are $5800 better than the N802.

Another thread here compared 803D to the N802 side by side. Also much theory discussions regarding the 802D.

I sure they are superb speakers, but again that is a large delta in comparison

Comment

• jordi
      • Dec 2004

Listened to the 803D

I listened to the 803D yesterday and I was not impressed. My worry is the 802D is much better than the N802. But I do agree, is it $5800.00 better. Probably not. I think my heart was set on the 802D and I am having a hard time talking myself out of them.

Comment

• Jeff
        • Dec 2004

For the difference between both models you could purchase a killer amp. The question is what amp would you run your new 802D's if you purchased those?

Comment

• james_dmi
          • Jan 2005

Jordi,

What was it with the 803D's that left you un-impressed? What equipment did you listen to them on and had they been broken in properly (i.e. 200 hours of use). The D models have a lot softer treble then the out going range and also then the new S models. If that was your main concern then I wouldn’t worry about the 802D’s as they will have a similar top end.
          James

Comment

• jericho
            • Dec 2004

Went to a demo yesterday in the Netherlands of the new Nautilus 802D and 803D, driven with Classé CAM-2200;First impression the 802D had a better low, better dynamic response.
            The 803D sounded quite nice but the look of the 802D, and the better detail make me choose for the 802D.I think if you can affort, it's worth the difference in price

Comment

• jordi
              • Dec 2004

Jeff: I am currently running a B&K 200.7 amplifier. 200W @ 8 ohms and 375W @ 4 ohms. I also have a B&K Reference 50 preamp. I am also concerned because I found out last night the N802's are 2003 models purchased in March '03.

James_dmi: The 803D's were not broken in at all. I'm guessing they have about 20 hours on them. The equipment was a Denon 100W amp. So I realize the demo was not a very good one, but I also think it could be representative of what they could do with a good amp. What I am trying to say is that if the speakers represented with not so good equipment, it may be an indication of how good they could be. I was just not that impressed with the mid-range in particular. They didn't sound much better than the 703's they were sitting next to.

Comment

• james_dmi
                • Jan 2005

Jordi, You should go back again when they have been run in. I have demod the 803D (and 803S + old 803) against the 703. The reason I did this was because I had experience with the 703 in my listening room. The mid range of the 803D & 803S was night and day compared to the 703 and also a noticeable improvement over the old 803. This was with speakers that had had about 100 hours of break-in so nearly there but not quite. Also make sure you have good quality amps driving the demo.
                James

Comment

• craigdcan
                  • Dec 2002

Without a doubt, I'd be hopping on the year old 802's - unbelievable speaker. If the new D series is better, just how much can they improve on the "old" 802's? I have not heard the new D series, but I just love the 802's. Saving $5800 can buy you a smokin' amp, or a very large dlp, lcd, d-ila screen, or an incredible sub, or....

-Craig

Comment

• KEF
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by craigdcan
                    Without a doubt, I'd be hopping on the year old 802's - unbelievable speaker. If the new D series is better, just how much can they improve on the "old" 802's? I have not heard the new D series, but I just love the 802's. Saving $5800 can buy you a smokin' amp, or a very large dlp, lcd, d-ila screen, or an incredible sub, or....

-Craig
                    While I did not hear the 802 vs the 802D, I did compare the 803D to the old 802 - and the Diamond tweeter is a big step forward. It is very, very nice -

Now, it is $5800 nice - who knows, but it is a very tangible difference IMO.

Cheers,
                    Keith

Comment

• Jeff
                      • Dec 2004

Jordi, I'm sure your B&K amp will make either 802 happy.

Question, do you spend most of your time enjoying 2 channel listening?
                      If so, maybe the diamonds are for you. However, $5,800
                      is a hugh difference if your on any kind of budget. If your passion is
                      HT, go with the old N802. I think most would agree, HT would not
                      give you a $5,800 betterment, not even close. There is then the issue of your center speaker, ect.

It's a tough call to think the 802D's are several steps up from the N802. In the future, I'm sure the 802D reviews will be great. Frankly, the opions of the old N802 are very good as well. If there wasn't such a price jump it would be a no brainer. But you'd be paying twice the price for the diamonds when compared to the N802's. OUCH!!!

Comment

• jordi
                        • Dec 2004

Jeff: I spend most of my time listening to music. My center channel and back surround speakers consist of Bose cubes (Please, no laughing :roll: ). My side surrounds consist of Paradigm speakers I purchased in '93. My main enjoyment comes from 2-channel listening.

Oh well, it's only money.

Comment

• Jeff
                          • Dec 2004

Jordi Jordi Jordi,

I can't help but humor myself a little. After all, we are talking about a possible combination of 802D's and Bose. :rofl: I have to give you credit
                          for mentioning the B word.

If you were to go with the N802 that extra $5,800 would go a long ways in replacing the Bose. The N802 will give back everything you give them. Thus, consider your amp, pre/pro, dedicated cd player, interconnects and wire. If your equipment isn't of an upper calaber, neither speaker will deliver very well. After all, one cannot expect much out of a $300 dvd player as a source for 2 channal.

It could be said the N802's are twice the speaker when compared to the B&W 703 (703=$3,000 Your N802 price $5,000) IMHO the 802D is not twice the speaker of the N802.

I know I've said a lot in favor of the N802's. However, if it's your intent to assemble a very high end two channel system and your first step is the speakers I could see the 802D's being high on your list. They'll be awesome. :T

Comment

• Stockinv
                            • Jan 2005

802d

If I get these speakers, will I need a subwoofer for movies? Which sub in the B&W line would suffice?

Comment

• caleb
                              • Aug 2004

I got an ASW 850 at a bargain price as it is being replaced with the new line - it compliments my 802's perfectly.

Comment

• compuman
                                • Mar 2005

N800 vs 800D's

In a few words, I have auditioned both. I took the D's home for trial run on my system. I'm buying! The difference was well worth it to me. There is good documentation on the internet regarding the technical improvments that is beyond my expertise to advise on. The improvements in the tweeter, first-order crossovers and the new bass cones are significant and discernable.

It's a matter of what your ears tell you. Go hear the D's and decide if the improvements are worth it to you. Good luck..........

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

802 vs 802D

No comparison, I have both and 802D wins hands down better sound over all.
                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"