X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff
    • Dec 2004

N802 vs 803D

I have read all the comparisons between the N802 and the new 803D's. What I can determine, most (not all) feel the N802 have not been beat by the 803D's. Each speaker has it's strong point, but niether is the clear winner. IMO the speaker with the best midrange/tweeter combo should win (for a number of reasons). So far, this has not been the case.

What remaining stock of N802's are now leaving the backrooms and the showroom floors. In my area, prices are reduced 20% for demo's which have been on the floor from 2-5 years. IMO speaker's in the showroom receive 2 to 4 times more play than at my house. Meaning these speakers are well used.

I believe it shouldn't be to difficult to get a 10% discount on the 803D's. So the price difference is about $800 in favor of the N802's. I'm at a point in my life where I'm ready to make a "life time" speaker purchase.

Question 1: do you think the N802 is every bit as good as the 803D's?
    Question 2: Would it be better to buy an unused 803D vs a well used N802?

Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by Jeff; 06 February 2005, 23:28 Sunday.
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

I have not heard the 803D, but based on your theory of the speaker with the best midrange/tweeter combo, the old 802 should win. It does have the Marlan head after all. Personally, I've heard the old 802 and 803, but not the new 803... even though they are the same price, I feel that the diamond series has a lot of "research" included in their pricing and therefore from a pure pricing point of view, I think you get more value out of the 802... and therefore the better overall speaker. That being said, if you can compare the 2 in person somehow, that would be the way to go.

The N802 is one of the finest speakers ever made and I would personally feel comfortable purchasing it "for life" ... it is one of those classic speakers... Lucasfilm uses them so at least you know you're hearing the same thing George Lucas intended for the Star Wars movies . With the 803D, you can't say that... I would go with the N802! :T

Comment

• Lewing
      • Oct 2004

Both N802 and N803D are very very good speakers that's for sure. I listened to the N802 before and frankly, i would choose a pair of N802 not only it sounds really wonderful, it certainly looks a lot nicer - The N802 is like piece of art!
      Live to Eat, Live to enjoy Music :T

http://community.webshots.com/user/lewing79

Comment

• DanR
        • Dec 2004

Have to agree with Lewing 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• DanR
          • Dec 2004

Just another quick note since I have heard both speakers- midrange is superior on the 802 due to the Marlan head and all its advantages. Bass is also better- larger drivers in a larger cabinet and a much larger downfiring flowport on the plinth. As far as the treble- I am not a fan of the diamonds. This isn't a new technology and I have never liked it. And the 802 really does not disappoint above 3000Hz at all. So, grab the better speaker and save $800 for a pair of Sound Anchor stands and they'll sound even better in the bass region!!!!!!

Comment

• Jeff
            • Dec 2004

Your comments about the N802 midrange are interesting. I would think the "signature" technology for the midrange plus the diamond tweeters would make to 803D's sing a little better. It was my impression that was the 803D strong point.

I'm still waiting for a dealer in my area to order the 803D's. I think my local dealer wants to sell his 802's before ordering any diamond technology.

Should I take issue with the amount of action the N802 demos have seen?

Thanks

Comment

• DanR
              • Dec 2004

I would try to get the 802's for roughly $5800. Most reputable dealers won't let people go crazy with their demos. So at worst they are broken in for you. B&W speakers are built to last 25-30 years or more, so i wouldn't worry about hours of normal use. The new 803's midrange isn't much more than a redesigned basket and different magnet material. I didn't feel this made much of an improvement at all.

Comment

• tmt
                • Jan 2005

one 802 please

Jeff, I asked myself the same question a few weeks ago.
                I've heard the 803D. In my opinion the highs and mids did sould terrific, but it still sounded more like the old 803 than the old 802.
                I must admit I don't have that much experience with the 802s (I just got mine a week ago and I need to upgrade some components and cables) so I can't make a direct comparison, but I was a bit disappointed by the 803D.

Like Lewing said, The 802 really looks the part! Stunning design (but that's ones opinion) and better bass.

And I got a deal I couldn't resist at 33% off for a pair 802s that were not even 2 months old...

Comment

• DanR
                  • Dec 2004

I agree with tmt wholeheartedly!! The new series is not nearly a leap in sound as everyone has hyped it to be. Many people are simply caught up in the new terms and descriptions, but the sound is marginally better if at all. Diamond tweeters especially have their own sonic signature and it is not better per se than aluminum. I firmly believe the 802 is a clearly better sounding speaker. And hell yes it looks much better. The 803D is still a basic looking speaker. And the advantages of the Marlan head both sonically and aesthetically can't be underestimated. Put it this way, if 6 months ago you could get the 802's for $5800, you wouldn't have hesitated! And even if you felt the 803D sounded just as good, which it doesn't- THEN WHY SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY!!!??? And I haven't heard a sould dare say the 803D is better than the N802.

Comment

• Jeff
                    • Dec 2004

[QUOTE=tmt]Jeff, I asked myself the same question a few weeks ago.
                    I've heard the 803D. In my opinion the highs and mids did sould terrific, but it still sounded more like the old 803 than the old 802.

My dealer just put on the floor some N803's. Frankly, I thought the mid's were very forward when compared to the N802's. To the extent I would not consider them. They actually made the 802 midrange sound recessed. However, the overall balance on the 802's were superior.

I also auditioned a pair of main speakers with 10" powered subs (power towers). I actually own a pair of these. Given the large size of the showroom I had to turn the subs way up to balance the music. The 802's had no problem with room size. Has anyone thought the low end on the 802's were to much for an average size living room (15x30). If I turned my power tower in my home to the same point as was in the showroom, it wouldn't be pretty. I would like to say the N803 had no low end. They were playing on par with the 704's which were also in the room. I'm tempted to visit another B&W dealer to see if their 802 behave the same way.

Dan, I must admit I would have still hesitated at paying $5,800 for a pair of 802's. It's a big streach for me to spend that much on speakers alone. Once done the animal will be let out of the box. I will need a matching HTM1 center speaker plus a new amp for the center. Currently have have an Rotel RB-1080 amp. This will be running the 802's for a year or until my wallet recovers. I'm not sure what's more expensive, women or high end audio. Maybe we should start a thred on that. :rofl:

Thanks for all the replies!!

Comment

• james_dmi
                      • Jan 2005

Jeff is that the old 803 or the new 803S or D that you are referring to? I have a large room that I need to drive and I was hoping that the 803D's would do the job.
                      James

Comment

• Jeff
                        • Dec 2004

James, it was the old N803's. I have not yet heard the new 803D's. tmt said the 803D's sounded a lot like the old N803's. As I had mentioned before, the old N803 sounded thin. Perhaps they were not run in. My primary issue was with the midrange. Eyes close, I would have guessed they came from different speaker mfr. The 802's midrange was more laid back but did provide a better balance.

Comment

• RobP
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

I had a chance to listen to both the new 802d and the new 803D, I preffered the sound of the 803ds over the new 802. The 803s seemed to have a wider soundstage and a little more depth. The owner of the audio dealer had the same opinion. One thing that I still cannot get out of my head was how deatiled and strong the bass was on the 803d's.There is a definite difference in the new diamond tweeter, they sound a little more open. Now the only thing that made me wonder about this was that they were in two different sized rooms with different treatments which probably had a effect on the sound. The dealer said that he was going to put the 802s in the room where the 803ds were and have another listen. Just remember though when it all comes down to it, your ears, your money.
                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Jeff
                            • Dec 2004

Soundgravy, that's odd the 803D would have a stronger lower end than the new 802D. Considering the technology is similar, the larger bass drivers and cabinet of the 802 should have yielded a strong low end. Like you said the room and placement had something to do with it. But my money would be on the componants which drove them in addition to the room.

The old N802 has substantial amounts of low end, even in a large room. IMO the new 802D should be even better.

Are you considering a purchase of either?

Comment

• james_dmi
                              • Jan 2005

Jeff,

I disagree with the 803D sounding like the old 803. Just considering the base the new 803S had more and faster then the old 803 and the 803D had more then the 803S. This was listening to all three speakers back to back on the same equipment in a medium sized demo room. I have no experience with the 802 old or new and I have yet to hear the 803D in a large room.

Soundgravy,

What size rooms did you hear the 802D & 803D in? And what was the equipment? If you get the chance to hear the 803D in a large room I would be very interested in how its base holds up.

I am sold on the open sound of the new FST and the detailed but never in your face sound of the diamond tweeter. The only piece of the puzzle is how the 803D base will align with my large listening room.

Cheers
                              James.
                              James

Comment

• Jeff
                                • Dec 2004

I've made the commitment and purchased a pair of N802. :B The guys at the dealership are great. They are replacing the surrounds on one midrange (it came damaged from B&W several years ago. It didn't have any impact on sound so it wasn't fixed...until now), ordering all new grills and delivering them for free. :banana: I expect them to be here in a week or so.

I'll have to be content with powering the N802's with my Rotel RB-1080 (200 wpc into 8 olms, 330 into 4 olms) until my pocket book recovers.

My center channel is a Phase Technology Teatro 6.5. I'm not sure how sound will match the N802. It may not be pretty. I don't have an amp for the center channel. It runs off my receiver, a Sony STR-DA777ES. I will say it's one of the best receivers Sony has ever made. I have no complaints about the 2channel anolog direct. My HT experience will be a little "off" for some months to come.

Comment

• Lewing
                                  • Oct 2004

Congratulation on your purchase! As i said before the N802 is a wonderful speaker. If you use the 802 for music listening i suggest you use stereo amp and preamp to drive them. Hope you enjoy your new speakers!
                                  Live to Eat, Live to enjoy Music :T

http://community.webshots.com/user/lewing79

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"