X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LexiconLogan
    • Apr 2009

802d /803d /805s

Dear All,

First I will introduce myself. My name is Mark and I recently decided to separate my HT and Stereo. Whilst now using one set for both with Lexicon and MartinLogan, I have now decided to built one stereo set using Audio Research and Martin Logan and one HT set using B&W.

My question is as follows; The main speaker in the HT will be the 802D's and I am still doubting if I should use the 803d as rears or the 805s. As I dont know if the 803d are an overkill or not as surrounds/rears.

By the way I will use Classe amplifiers and a Lexcion MC12 or Classe SSP 800 as pre.

Thank you in advance for your input, much appreciated.
  • JargonGR
    • Feb 2009

I am using the 800Ds/HTM1D with 803Ds as surrounds and couldn't be happier. The sound seems so integrated and matched especially when you have moving objects on screen such as helicopters or bullets "traveling". Yet, you get a much better 3D image as if you are in a 3D bubble of sound when you listen to multichannel music where tweeter matching is even more important.

In the near future I plan on getting a pair of 805s for use as back surrounds so I will be able to experiment more. Yet in 1-2 years my main plan is to get a pair of 802Ds for side surrounds move the 803ds at the back.

Bear in mind two thinks though:

A) You need a really wide room so the 803Ds on the sides are not too close to the seats or else any seat than the very central will be ON THEM. Mine is 5 meters wide and I still find them a bit close even on the central seat. Yet, if yo go for 5.1 you can move them behind your seat and experiment.

B) Get the fronts and ask your dealer to let you try a pair of 805s at home so you can see if it is worth it to spend on the much more expensive 803Ds that also need much more juicy amplification and will not be utilized nowhere near their db potential at the sides.

Comment

• KyaDawn
      • Mar 2008

I'm am using 802D fronts and due to space concerns, using 805Ss as surrounds. I think it sounds great, but I have no doubt using 803Ds would sound even better, particularly for multi-channel music. The diamond tweeter on the 803Ds would allow you near-perfect timbre match with the 802Ds, which is important for any front-to-rear pans, etc. Like JargonGR said, you definitely need a suitably large room for a such a set-up. If your use is mostly HT, and you are also concerned about room size and budget, then the 805Ss are more than fine, in my view.

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Welcome to the "Club" Mark

I am using 802D's as fronts and 803D's as surrounds. I am most happy with this. The timbre matching of the tweeters + the extra height of the 803D's is important to me. My room size is about 14" x 20". Of course, good quality hardware to match, as you are planning should help to deliver pure bliss.

Good luck! :T

Comment

• LexiconLogan
          • Apr 2009

Dear All, thank you very much for all the useful input. The size of the room should not be the problem, its 8 meters wide and 14 meters deep.

Concerning the hardware, I am still in doubt. I will either use a Lexicon MC12HD as Pre or would switch to a Classe SSP800. However I doubt if Classe can do the job as well as the Lex. Amplification is a different story. I will either use the Lexicon ZX7 which I own currently or but a Classe 2200 and a 3200.

As this has not been decided yet I will appreciate your thoughts. I will also ask for demo's at the local stores.

Thank you once more.

Mark

Comment

• Antus
            • Apr 2008

for such a big room. u may consider bigger amp for best result. 200W is not enough.

if ur budget allow, u can consider 801D or 800D as front. 400W classe, PassLabs, or Krell all good match for b&w.

Comment

• William
              • Aug 2006

I use 802D's (main), HTM1D and 803D's for rears. If you listen to multichannel music (and most film sound tracks have multi channel music) then you need the 803D's for an accurate timbre match. I tried using 804's as rears but the voice difference was just too obvious. Also you should go with the HTM1D (unless you can use a 802D) as the center.

Comment

• LexiconLogan
                • Apr 2009

Well there is no way back for me in this one as I just ordered the 802 and 803s so that ''problem'' is solved. Classe and B&W is it such a good combination as they want us to believe?

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

Hi LexiconLogan,

well make a HT center and a stereo room is a personal taste.

For the B&W802D with a Htm2D the best was without doubt the 803D.
                  but the 805s make you sure happy too! and with the 803S you have a more as enought......

For the electronict I don't love so much the Lexicon but is MY taste.....I have the Classe and I'm very happy....with your big room and the B&W802D the Classe CA2200 x 2 in bi-amp. make you fly. better as a 2x Classe CAM400.
                  You have a very control from LF & HF and the 802D give you much sound...
                  Personaly the CA2200 in bi-amp. is a very good choice fo the stereo system...

If you think on the combo CA3200 & CA2200 go direct whit a CA5200 and save a little money! if is for a HT with the CA5200 you go have a ampli "really all the same" with a combo CA3200&2200 with the time you go have a
                  ampli (I immagine the CA2200 for the rears) "like new" and the CA3200 for the frontal more used!
                  The combo is a good solution if a second CA2200 is in your head to make a Great 5 channel with the L&F bi.amp.

greetings Style

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by LexiconLogan
                    Dear All, First I will introduce myself. My name is Mark and I recently decided to separate my HT and Stereo. Whilst now using one set for both with Lexicon and MartinLogan, I have now decided to built one stereo set using Audio Research and Martin Logan and one HT set using B&W. My question is as follows; The main speaker in the HT will be the 802D's and I am still doubting if I should use the 803d as rears or the 805s. As I dont know if the 803d are an overkill or not as surrounds/rears.

By the way I will use Classe amplifiers and a Lexcion MC12 or Classe SSP 800 as pre. Thank you in advance for your input, much appreciated.
                    802Ds in Front 803D in back a killer system amp wise give Emotiva monoblocks a try

Lexicon MC12 vs Classé SSP-800 is depends if you want bare bones or features, I love the Logic7
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• LexiconLogan
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by wettou
                      802Ds in Front 803D in back a killer system amp wise give Emotiva monoblocks a try

Lexicon MC12 vs Classé SSP-800 is depends if you want bare bones or features, I love the Logic7
                      Indeed Logic7 is fantastic..

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"