Thinking of upgrading - 802D? 803D? Keep my CDM7se?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • karelm
    • Jul 2005

Thinking of upgrading - 802D? 803D? Keep my CDM7se?

Hi, I'm a new member and have a few questions. I currently own a pair of B&W CDM7se and want to upgrade to the new nautilaus line.

At my local B&W dealer, I auditioned the 802D which looks fantastic but I found the sound stiff considering its intimidating price and design. It is possible the new speaker wasn't yet fully broken in.

I wanted to get some opinions about the 802D compared to the original 802. How does this compare to the 803D which is closer to my price range? Is the improvement of the 802D really worth the extra cost? Is it really worth selling my kidney to afford it - perhaps I should be educated a bit on what makes the sound the 802/802D so much better than the 803 or even my CDM7SE.

My other equipment is a Krell CAST amplifier and Krell 28c CD player and REF subwoofer. I listen to mostly late romantic full blooded symphonic music like Mahler, Rachmaninov, Wagner, and film scores if that helps indicate the type of sound I look for.

Thanks,
    Karim
    Last edited by karelm; 08 July 2005, 13:18 Friday.
  • js24
    • Feb 2005

there are many threads here comparing the speakers of your interest

I'm too considering the 802Ds.. my original goal was the 803D but to my ears, the 802D is better by miles...
    the 803D will sound much more coherant, powerful, and sweeter on upper ends.. compared to your CDMs. But to me, compared to the 802D, it sounded little congested in the middle and not as tight and deep in the bottom

Comment

• RNKC
      • Jun 2005

Here's a link to my thoughts on the 803D: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...t=13500&page=2

For others, do a search on 803D and 802D.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"