X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Switching from 5.1 N805 to 2.1 N802/803D

Anyone ever switch from a full 5.1/7.1 setup down to a 2.1 setup?

I like the setup that I have now.
    Nautilus series' 805/HTM-2/SCM-1 and Velodyne sub.
    Right now it's matched to a Marantz SR7002.
    I do have an Emotiva XPA-5 amp that is not being used at the moment. I am about to purchase a Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, but I'm having second thoughts about it.

Lately, even though I watch movies all the time, I've been contemplating about redoing my system to a simple N802/803D setup. The surround stuff is nice, but sometimes I think I don't really need it and that it would be nice to have a more simple setup. Music would of course benefit from a dedicated 2-channel setup. But I'm wondering if I will be missing out and/or regret it with all the movies, especially blu-rays. Or if I should stay with my 5.1 setup??

Any comments? Past experience? Regrets?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

I have also been thinking the same...

A few months ago, I had only my 804s and two 12" subs setup and was watching movies through my Oppo-83SE downmixed to stereo.

It sounded pretty awesome when I sat in the middle.. It definately was not as good when sitting to the side..
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• BlueSander
      • Apr 2008

I switched from a full 5.1 with a pair of 803 front and 805 rear with HTM2 center to 802N front & HTM1 center. I do miss the surround effect a bit but the sound stage you get from 802N is pure amazing.

Comment

• jeepers
        • Mar 2010

I switched in 2 steps; from 5.1 to 3.1 and very recently to a 2.2 setup with a dedicated 2 channel amp. I don't miss the HT experience for a bit. Obviously this is all personal but I am very happy with what I have now.

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Hmmm... reading around the net, I'm hearing 50% of the people saying they miss the surround, the other 50% of the people say they never look back. What to do.. what to do? lol

I've been watching a few BD's this week, and switching back and forth between 2.1 to 5.1. I know the the 805's are not capable of creating the same kind of soundstage that the 802's can, but still... it's just to get a feel of what it would be like with a 2.1 setup. I get mixed feelings.

Comment

• Isaac
            • Jan 2006

If you are more into hometheater and watch Blu-rays, I would suggest keeping the 5.1 setup.

Comment

• BlueSander
              • Apr 2008

^^^+1. Soundstage wise, 805 won't get you anywhere near 60% of what the 802 capable of. The only time I really missed the surround is when I watch my movies. You just completely loose the feeling of sitting inside the action zone. I don't miss it a bit with music, in fact, I normally turned off surround while listening to music. As of right now, a bigger screen and a larger amp for my 802 will totally solve my problem of not sitting inside the action zone.

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Isaac
                If you are more into hometheater and watch Blu-rays, I would suggest keeping the 5.1 setup.
                Yes, well that's a tricky part.
                Yes, I do watch movies a lot (maybe 3 times a week)... but I listen to music everyday.

Originally posted by BlueSander
                ^^^+1. Soundstage wise, 805 won't get you anywhere near 60% of what the 802 capable of. The only time I really missed the surround is when I watch my movies. You just completely loose the feeling of sitting inside the action zone. I don't miss it a bit with music, in fact, I normally turned off surround while listening to music. As of right now, a bigger screen and a larger amp for my 802 will totally solve my problem of not sitting inside the action zone.
                I do have some DVD-Audio discs, but I hardly ever listen to music in anything but 2-channel stereo.
                I only use my surrounds for movies.
                I think the only time I ever really use any surround format is when I have music on during parties or events. Then I just use a 5-channel stereo mode since all the speakers are pretty identical. So I wouldn't really miss the surrounds for music since I only use my surrounds during movies.

The idea is that if I change my setup, I would lose the Marantz, and buy a nice pre/pro combo along with a high quality DAC for my HTPC (since that's how I listen to all my music). So any movie would be converted from 5.1 to 2.1 via the blu-ray player.

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                  I do have an Emotiva XPA-5 amp that is not being used at the moment.
                  How does the XPA-5 sound audioqueso?

Nigel.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bigburner
                    How does the XPA-5 sound audioqueso?

Nigel.
                    It's a great amp. I want to use it again but I can't right now (not enough amperage). That's why I want to get the AV7005 now.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"