X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonic-x
    • Jan 2005

703 compared to 804s?

I was going to buy a pair of 703`s, but when I saw the release of the new 800-series I am not so sure anymore. Maybe I should spend some more cash and go for the new 804s? Its in the price range I can afford (the 803s will be too expensive..) I havent had the opportunity to compare both the speakers so Im curious if anyone could help me decide if I should wait some more and listen to the 804s. I do have an ASW 750 sub to support the low levels
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

You need to listen to them, I did and chose the 804s but personal preference comes into play. Note, I'm referring to the 'old' nautilus 804s not the new ones that are out now.

Comment

• Sonic-x
      • Jan 2005

Thanks for your reply. I will try to do that, but my local dealer isnt sure if he will get the full range of the new 800-series, so it can be difficult to compare them. But if you chose the "old" 804 before the 703s, could you please tell me what the main differeces were?

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

Honestly, I don't wanna put any preconcieved notions in your head. Cause whatever I may say could point out flaws or preferences. And thereby bias your decision while listening.

After you listen to them yourself (any good dealer should have all these avaialbe!) then I would be glad to discuss my opinion.

Comment

• Jeff
          • Dec 2004

That's some good advise from juniorblue. I would like to add in the U.S. the price for 703 are 3k and the 804 are 4k. Now given the Nautilus is B&W premium line of speakers, you can expect more from the 804. But they do cost an extra 1k.

I'm not sure how you will ultimately use your system or what you system is composed of but for the extra $1,000 you could purchase a Rotel RB-1080 which is a well matched 2 channel amp for the 703's

You should do a search on this web sight about both speakers. There has been much written on them. However, this or any web sight should be secondary regarding you choice. You ears (and pocket book) are primary.

Good luck

Comment

• george_k
            • Jan 2004

I would also like to know if the 804 "sounds" $1000 better than the 703 or is the difference not that big?

Comment

• weijst
              • Jun 2004

Get yourself demo N804 (old model), which are bound to be less expensive than a pair of 703's.
              Last edited by weijst; 31 January 2005, 20:01 Monday.
              Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• gostan
                • May 2003

Better pricing for used Nautilus 804's appear to be showing up on Audiogon. This is another way to purchase an 804 instead of a 703 for the same or better price. My 803's are 6 months old now and are finally broken in. They sound much better now than when I originally took them out of the box.

I for one originally purchased close-out 7NT's instead of the 703's because the 700 series sound was not for me (70% music listener) and I could not afford the 804's or 803's at the time of that purchase, with the full intention of trading up to the 804's or 803's.
                Stan

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

I just purchased my 804 ($1400) for $100 more than I negotiated on 703 ($1300). The $$ difference was woth it to me.

Comment

• js24
                    • Feb 2005

It might sound absurd, but
                    Get the most expensive one that you can afford from the given company (there is a reason for more $$, besides you might go 'what if I did...')
                    the 703s were the best I could afford then thus I got it
                    I did hear the old 804N, it sounded better to my ears, but the 703s were not much worse.. I would have bought it if I could spare 1k more..
                    Price justification is a subjective term and a used or new preference is another story...
                    trust your ears and good luck :T

Comment

• Nigel_Rav
                      • Feb 2005

I did a demo of the 703 vs the old N804 in 2003 and personally thought the extra £ for the 804 was worth it, although the 703 were very good and great VFM.

I thought the main difference with the 804 was that the speakers themselves seemed to disappear. With the 703 you were much more conscious of the source of the music; with the 804 you just heard the music.

Comment

• sugarmedia
                        • Feb 2005

I auditioned them both and there is definitely a noticeable difference. The 703's sound like entry level hifi, whereas the 804's took you to another listening level. Did I buy either of them? No. I ended up choosing Martin Logan & will give my son the BW's I currently own.

Comment

• DrBoom
                          • Dec 2003

Another vote here for the 804's, the 703's aren't anywhere near as musical as their bigger brothers.
                          I listened to the entire 700 series and I didnt really like any of them personally.
                          The instant I heard the 804's I was sold, it's that big of a difference for a very similar looking speaker with identical driver arrangement.
                          But I guess it all depends on what you like and what you're driving them with.
                          800 series is a lot more picky about amps to be honest, so take that into calculation when you audition them.

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

I agree with DrBoom and the others, the 804 sounds better.

It has been 15 years since I had a nice sound system that I could be proud of (listening too). I have been planning a complete system upgrade for the last 3 months and I started my listening tests with the 600 series and went all the way up to the new 800 series. It wasn't until I got to hear the 804S's that I was finally happy with what I heard and the price B&W is asking for them.

Admittedly, they cost far more than I was wanting to spend, but I couldn't justify paying for something else, just because it was cheaper. I would rather save up and get the better speaker, than to just settle.

BTW, the 600's and 700's are good speakers for their class, however, I feel the 800's are some of the finest speakers in their's.
                            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"