X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanR
    • Dec 2004

DO I need a sub with Nautilus 803

Help here! How is the bass response from the N803's? I will be driving them with a Rotel RB-1090 (380Wx2). I only listen to 2 channel music, unfortunately, I listen to everything from jazz to rock to R&B. Anyone have any thoughts as to whether I will need a sub?
    :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Really comes down to personal preference....

I have 804s and like having a sub to fill in the low end, and i can independently adjust it to as how much or little I like seperate from the mains.

Granted the 803s give u some more bass extension....but it could be nicer with a sub.

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I would use a good quality subwoofer, those 7" drivers cannot produce true sub frequencys. And you are missing alot of music. I recommend the ASW850. If you have a good delaer they will have a loaner unit that you can take home and try. Good luck.
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• jericho
        • Dec 2004

I'd take the new ASW875, coming out in the beginning of 2005 :B

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

I'd skip the B&W subs...to me they don't blend seemlessly in with the speakers...but that's just my personal opinion.

I went through 4 B&W subwoofers before I ended up with an SVS sub. You might want to try one of the online sub manufacturers, SVS, HSU, etc...where their subs almost disappear into the sound stage. This way you will only really "think" you are listening to your mains, but have the added extension down into the 20Hz range.

I would also consider crossing over at more like 40 or 60 Hz instead of the typical 80Hz.

I'm a big fan of B&W's speakers, I'm just very disappointed in their subs...especially the prices of them.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Pewter,

have you heard b&w's 800 series subs? They are probably the best subs on the market.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say some of the online manufacturers may make the biggest bang for the buck sub, but not the most musical sub.

Typical "most musical" subs are REL, perhaps Vandersteen. REL has the reputation as the most musical, IMO.

Yes there are other quality subs, such as my Aerial, even DIY Tumult type subs, etc..., but for someone that only listens to music, he owes his ears a chance to hear REL. Also, for music, many times a 10" driver is ideal. Get the driver to big, and they are just to loose sounding to blend seemlessly with music.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Lex,

have you heard b&w's 800 series subs? They are probably the best subs on the market.
                heh. seriously, if your budget allows, the B&W subs in the 800's match seemlessly w/ the nautilus speakers. My 850 is very quick, and can even have characteristics of a punchy 10" at times. It isn't one to be under-estimated.
                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

Yea...I'll 2nd that also. My needs are mostly movies, and SVS PB12plus/2 over achieve my demand for bass in movie sounds tracks. But for pure 2 channel, SVS may not be the best choice. I'd check out REL, since they're are indeed very musical. If you care about looks and design, the Nautilus subs will be the best choice.

Comment

• gostan
                    • May 2003

My ASW-850 blends musically and aesthetically with my Nautilus 803's for pcm stereo. I can go straight bypass for certain music. And for HT the 850 just wows you. I considered an REL and a Velodyne DD15, but their great bass response was not enough too overcome the B&Wsub soundwise and looks wise.

Bottom line, a sub with 803's is an integral part of any audio-ht system. The 803's bass is good, but not low and powerful enough to negate the necessity of a good sub.
                    Stan

Comment

• Miroku
                      • Jul 2004

I think it comes down to personal perference and living situation. I have cdm 9 nt's and no sub, and everyone who has watched a movie at my place has been impressed with the bass performance, not even realizing there was no sub. I know I would get better bass with a sub, but I live in an apartment, and I feel that having my 9nt's cranked up as loud as I usually do is pushing it with the neighbors already.

I'd say if you have a house, and you really like loud bass, go for a sub. But on their own with proper amplification the 803's will put out enough bass for you to enjoy your music.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"