X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Chuck's Statements 7.1 Build

This thread will document my build of a complete 7.1 set of Statements (with sub). Note: This set was started with only my second build ever. Please take all of this thread with a large grain of salt. My motive in posting it was just to give a DIY newbie's experience which might help out other newbies. To the real experts, please feel free to point out anything I did wrong or could improve on. Last but not least, huge thanks to Jim and Curt and anyone else involved in these designs and all their help and late night question answering during my build!

Update 8/5/2012
    So it's been a long time since I built anything, and the apartment gig is lasting a lot longer than I thought! I did, however, recently get a garage! Pretty good sized for an apartment, I can bring over and set up all my woodworking stuff, yay! I decided I'm going to build Jed's Lineup R4s to replace my Monitors on the back two channels, and finally round off and put a finish on all of the speakers. All in an effort to "debachelorize" my place a bit. I know I could rebuild these cabinets better, so for now I'll go with a simple paint (countertop paint or truck bed liner or something that will hide the imperfections ).

Update 10/17/2009
    Just a new update, getting a new apartment (great apartment though), so I'm going to keep putting off the full sized statements and subwoofer. Same with waiting to paint the ones I've already built. Oh well, some day!

Update 10/21/2008
    So buying a house has been put off for a year, as I've signed up for a lease on a great apartment nearby. Huge place, though I still won't be able to crank the sub without bothering people . So the subwoofer portion of the project will have to wait. Although hopefully some time this winter I can get the full sized statements built. I'm still very happy with the current 5 channel Statements setup!

The Plan
    My current living space is limited for my HT, so for now the plan is to build a 5.1 setup, with four Statements Monitors and one Statements Center. Once I get a house I will build the full sized Statements for front LR duty and the four monitors will be surround to make up the 7 channels. To complete the setup, I'd like to build a large, over the top subwoofer . Finish work will be done once I get into the new house and have a "decor" set up, so I can choose a finish appropriately. I am partial to a completely rounded off, painted box, but have seen some very nice veneers too so we'll see when the time comes.

What's Finished ("finished" as in, I'm listening to them)
    The Center and Four Monitors
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TT7O44J.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	933287

What's Left To Do
    1. Full sized Statements for front L/R.
    2. Subwoofer.

Stuff I did that may be of help to others
    1. Center Build: Instead of doing the side supports, I decided to cut a 3rd top/bottom sized piece, and cut it to a '+' shape to combine the side supports with the top of the tunnel into one piece, just for ease of assembly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	lhUXbF4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.4 KB ID:	933289

2. Center Build: In cutting the driver holes, I did two separate circles with the router in order to cut the flush mounting. I screwed the center of the hole to a scrap piece to make sure it stayed so I could re-use the pin hole for the jig. This worked fine, but in building the Monitors, I found it much easier to get a 1/2" rabbeting bit and use that to cut the flush mount. Just be sure to subtract 1" from your diameter when setting up the circle jig.

3. Monitors Build: It dawned on me while sanding these boxes, that the glue that drips down or squeezes out and dries up if you don't wipe it off fast enough is much more easily removed by carefully getting a knife blade under one edge, then simply peel it off! Way easier than sanding which is what I'd done on the Center.

4. All: I found that building the crossover by laying it out, then soldering, then mount it to your pegboard is much easier than trying to tie down the parts and then strip a bunch of short wires to connect them all.

5. All: I found that in routing through 1-1/4" thick baffles, three individual passes with the router made much better results than two. I got a 1-1/4" straight cutting bit, and did all the cutting from one side, rather than flipping over. It worked very well for me.

Mistakes I made so others won't
    1. Center Build: I got the box 75% together, then mis-measured the center of my mid tunnel port by 1". Moral of the story: measure to center from both sides of the box. Then re-measure.

2. Center Build: I attempted to cut the baffle to exact size and ended up a little short on the height. As it sits, the baffle is actually raised slightly (looks almost intentional!). Lesson learned: Cut the baffle slightly larger than the given dimensions.

3. Monitors Build: I made the mistake mentioned in Forum under the above section, I forgot to subtract the 1" from my diameter when cutting the tweeter hole. Luckily, I caught it after the first pass, so I cut it the right size on the other side and it turned out fine.

4. Monitors Build: I properly cut the baffles about 1/4-1/2" larger than the box, so I could flush trim. I got a large, 2" length, 1/2" shank flush trim bit, and it took me some time to get the hang of it. With such a long bit, it was difficult to keep the router base flush to the baffle. This resulted in a couple of small gouges in the side of the baffle (hopefully will disappear with the roundover though). I also highly recommend paying attention to which direction the bit spins, and making doubly sure you're going the correct direction. I made that mistake only once and the router jumped on me and I'm probably lucky I didn't put a huge gouge in the box (or in myself!).

5. Monitors Build: I decided to build the crossover before the box (because of limited access to tools) and thought I'd laid out the board an appropriate size, but upon building the boxes I noticed it was a little too long and I'd either have to rebuild the XO or put it in the box before gluing the baffle (making it not removable). I only did this with two of them though so the other two will have the XO built in two pieces as I did with the Center.

Build Pics
    Center:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	GAd08uS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.9 KB ID:	933290
    Click image for larger version  Name:	c5iEGsP.jpg Views:	1 Size:	23.5 KB ID:	933291
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7SAQkcU.jpg Views:	1 Size:	26.2 KB ID:	933292
    Click image for larger version  Name:	eM3sgQ3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	28.3 KB ID:	933293
    Click image for larger version  Name:	lhUXbF4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.4 KB ID:	933294
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A1ITDwP.jpg Views:	1 Size:	29.2 KB ID:	933295
    Click image for larger version  Name:	aJPvKs6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	27.7 KB ID:	933296
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5lY9zVO.jpg Views:	1 Size:	26.5 KB ID:	933297
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PtxH1Rt.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.6 KB ID:	933298

Monitors:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7SichTO.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.7 KB ID:	933299
    Click image for larger version  Name:	iryLzOd.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.1 KB ID:	933300
    Click image for larger version  Name:	fXToUn2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	933301
    Click image for larger version

Name:	y3JulGH.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	935831
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5Nb60G8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	933302
    Click image for larger version  Name:	hm4TqRp.jpg Views:	1 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	933303
    Click image for larger version  Name:	p5pnt06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	90.4 KB ID:	933304
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0rEpQNj.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.0 KB ID:	933305
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IVN5Vur.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	933306
    Click image for larger version  Name:	RePpnyZ.jpg Views:	1 Size:	130.3 KB ID:	933307
    Last edited by theSven; 03 May 2023, 19:38 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
    -Chuck
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

<reserved for later>
    -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Looking good Chuck :B

Comment

• tabasc07
        • Oct 2007

Nice work Chuck. I'm going to have to invite myself over once it's done haha .

I'm planning on doing the same exact 7.1 build, but I can't decide on whether I should build the dedicated CC or build a 3rd Statement for the center. I'm gonna go with the sealed version of the Statements, but leave the monitors as is with the switchable BSC. I bought a Maelstrom-X not too long ago and I'm hoping to get another one simply because I want to keep things even (I think it's an OCD thing for me).

Anyways, looks good and have fun with your build. Maybe when I start mine, you could help and give me some tips if I run into some problems.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Hi Chuck,

Excellent built thread! These threads are a great help for other builders. :T

Jim

Comment

• FroDaddy
            • Mar 2006

Looking good! Do you mind sharing how you cut your driver holes with the router? I seem to have a tendency to break those bits, and I have a feeling my expensive bit has weakened as well. I don't know if it's my method or maybe the router is a little bit out of balance. What RPM are you using, how fast do you go, and how deep on each pass?

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

I'm using a Craftsman 1-3/4hp that runs at 25k rpm. I use a 1-1/4" depth craftsman bit (1/2" shank). I make three passes for each hole, first pass, about 1/2", second pass about 1/2", last pass I try to get it so the bit barely makes it all the way through (obviously with a scrap piece underneath). Since the baffle is the same size as the bit, I plunge it just beyond the cutter part of the bit (which is fine since that section of the hole is already cut). I used to screw down the center chunk to make sure the pinhole for the jig didn't move around, but I've gotten careful enough where that's not necessary anymore.

The big key I've found is to go very slow, and backtrack over what you've just cut to clear out the dust that sits in the trench you just made (that dust turns into kindling basically if you don't clear it out, I've found first hand ). I'd say one woofer hole took about 8-10 mins for all three passes. I backtracked about every 4-5" of circumference, and gave the bit about 30-45 seconds to cool between passes. The backtracking helps cool the bit somewhat too. Hope that helps!
              -Chuck

Comment

• FroDaddy
                • Mar 2006

Thanks, on the next set I build I'll try the backtracking technique to see if that helps. On my router I can hear the pitch of the bit at high RPMs and it just seems off balance somewhat. I don't have anything to compare it to, so maybe that's how they all sound.

I remember using 19k RPM with a 1/4 shank spiral (I believe upcut) bit, and using 3/8" increments for each plunge. I didn't backtrack nor allow the cool down time between plunges, so I'll try that next time to see if that helps.

How do the edges of your bit look now that you've cut all of those driver holes? Mine don't look so good anymore.

Comment

• impala454
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007

could be the smaller shank that's the problem if you're breaking bits. not sure though as I'm definitely no router/woodworking expert. all of my bits are 1/2" shank. i believe my straight cut 1-1/4" bit is 1/2" shank but 1/4" cutting diameter (to try to cut down on dust). I have not tried any of the spiral bits, but probably need one for flush cutting as I did have a little tearout when flushing up the baffles on the monitors.

If you're using 1/4" shank bits, maybe divide up the cut into even more passes, so you're not chewing too much material at a time. Say maybe 4-5 passes to make the cut instead.

oh and as far as the bit's edges, the edges are fine but yeah they've gotten a little singed tint to them from the heat. I've cut out holes for the center and 4 monitors, so I guess 10 holes for drivers + 5 ports + 5 tunnel pass throughs.
                  -Chuck

Comment

• NateTTU
                    • Jul 2007

Hey Chuck,

Sounds like an excellent plan. The statements truely are great speakers and to have a full setup with them is just something else. We both went full out on our early builds. Mine was actually my first because I was limited on time so I had to go all out or nothing. Let me know what you think of the monitors, they sound amazing from the reviews I've seen.

I only have a 5 channel setup right now but its with the center, full statements, and the mini statements as the rears. If you love the sound of the center you will be blown away by the full statements when you get around to those. I love my center and mini statements, but there is just something special about the full versions that is just awesome. The HT room is amazing now, all I need is to finish up my sub which will be a LLT TC 2k. I don't have room for the monitors, otherwise I might build those for the final two channels. I may just build them anways to use in the living room.

Keep us updated with pics. I will try to remember to post some of mine later. BTW, if any DIYselfer is around the DFW area let me know and I can let you come check out this awesome design from Jim and Curt.

Comment

• impala454
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007

Thanks Nate, yeah I did have a pair of monitors which werent trimmed or sanded, running for the past week or so, without stuffing and without the port mounted and even without all that they still sounded awesome. They sound HUGE compared to their size. I can only imagine how the full sized will sound when I get around to them.
                      -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

So I was thinking of powering the whole setup with an Emotiva UPA-7, but now dougie has me thinking XPA-5 + something else. I do like that the XPA-5 has balanced inputs and seems to be a "nicer" build. Ignoring the price difference, what do you guys think? Is the extra power going to be pretty noticeable with this setup? (UPA-7 185W@4ohm x 7 vs XPA-5 350W@4ohm x 5 + something else).
                        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Ah you are doing 7.1 :B Hmm well I mean if you wanted to spend the cash there is the MPS-2 which each channel has its own transformer and PSU. Although its a little different design I've heard good things about the first version? Class-H I'm not sure if you could tell a difference in SQ or not and its a good bit more but still cheaper then buying a XPA-5 and an XPA-2

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

Yeah I was thinking maybe I could go XPA-5 + XPA-2 or XPA-3. The $200 diff between the UPA-7 and XPA-5 isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather be overpowered than underpowered

Where is the $150 difference between the XPA-2 & 3??

edit: and looks like XPA-5 + XPA-2 still comes out cheaper than the MPS-2
                            -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Well the XPA 2 is kind of a completely different design. Where as the XPA 5 and XPA 3 are modular designs. The MPS-2 is modular as well but a bit different in the fact that each module has a transformer and psu onboard so its a true monoblock design.

Your right it is a little cheaper... I'd probably go that route then get 2 XPA 5's or an XPA-5 and an XPA-3 or even an XPA-2. I would like to get an XPA-5 in addition to my XPA-3 eventually so I can bi amp my front stage.

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

XPA-5 ordered :twisted:

you know the old saying... have money will spend... :B
                                -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Haha :B Well I highly doubt that you'll be disappointed with this purchase

Comment

• Curt C
                                    • Feb 2005

Nice thread Chuck,

I'm sure many will profit from the benefit of your experiences, and perhaps your documented efforts will encourage others to take the DIY plunge.

C
                                    Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                      • May 2008

Great thread, good luck in your endeavours.
                                      I am curently building the minis for front LR and the monitors for the rears.
                                      I built a center channel, CJDS MTM, and was a step up from what I had, I hope it sounds good with the statements, if not, the statement center will be my next build.
                                      I also purchased the XPA-5, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED, very clean and lots of headroom.
                                      I have had people over that are into other name brands and are currently working on switching to the Emotiva line up.

Comment

• impala454
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I got another box flush trimmed and rough sanded tonight, and flush trimmed the last one. I just updated the first post with monitors pics. The last pic shows the 4 side by side, the 2 rightmost are complete (for now) sanded to 150 grit and ready to get stuffed, crossovers and drivers. The leftmost one has been rough sanded but still needs 150 grit. The 2nd one has just been trimmed and hasn't been sanded yet at all. I'm goin to the Astros game tomorrow night but should be done making MDF dust for a while on Thursday or Friday. Then on to build the last two XOs and I'll be finished with the monitors!
                                        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

You might get your XPA-5 this week...better get cracking on those speakers I ordered mine on Sunday and it shipped monday and will be here tomorrow and I think your closer :B

Comment

• impala454
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2007

friggin sweet that'd be awesome to get it before the weekend!
                                            -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

So how are you finishing these cabinets?

Comment

• wackii
                                                • Jan 2006

looking great Chuck. You must having lots of fun to build 7 speakers at one time. Awesome thread. Keep it up. You are almost there... Gloss black finish on all 7 speakers?

Al,

Comment

• impala454
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Oct 2007

Well technically at the moment I'm just building the four monitors, and had already completed the center a few months ago. The full sized pair will come once I get a house sometime in the next 6-8 months.

As far as when I'm going to finish, I'm using the new house as an excuse . I'm waiting until I buy and get settled into the house to see how I want these to end up looking, so I can make them fit in well w/furniture/flooring/walls/etc. For now I'm going to leave them all raw, sanded to 150 grit or so, with no rounding off.

I really like the gloss black, but I just don't think it's going to happen with the crazy amount of work involved. I also really love the completely rounded off box. One finish I was thinking of going with that I really liked was one I saw on this project by augerpro, with the smooth flat black shell look. And of course veneers are definitely in the running too, I just need to research them more and try to figure out what I like. I really like this finish by CBS. either way I have a while to decide.
                                                  -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2006

Yeah that Veneer CBS used is rather expensive Looks like quilted maple or something.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                      Yeah that Veneer CBS used is rather expensive Looks like quilted maple or something.
                                                      It's waterfall bubbinga sourced through Oakwood Veneer. Yes, it was a bit spendy by most peoples standards but Chris is not bitten by the DIY bug. He wanted to replace his rather expensive commercial speakers with ones that were a significant step up and he felt the sealed Statements/sub combination was the solution. I'm happy to say that he's still very happy with his decision. :B

Jim

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

Oh I wasn't saying anything bad about it Just warning its rather expensive veneer. Beautiful for sure...I would love to use something like that but unfortunately my cabinets are 49.5" tall 8" wide and 18" deep and the center is not much smaller then there are the surrounds. I think we were guessing at 3 maybe even 4 sheets of veneer for all the speakers. So spending 200 bucks a sheet sure adds up real fast.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Oh I wasn't saying anything bad about it Just warning its rather expensive veneer. Beautiful for sure...I would love to use something like that but unfortunately my cabinets are 49.5" tall 8" wide and 18" deep and the center is not much smaller then there are the surrounds. I think we were guessing at 3 maybe even 4 sheets of veneer for all the speakers. So spending 200 bucks a sheet sure adds up real fast.
                                                          Hi Dougie,

No worries, I understood what you meant. Actually Chris bought 7 sheets and had them matched so the grain would flow from one to another. It's really beautiful as it should be for that kind of investment. I'd be very surprised if he didn't still have these 10 years from now so it really is an investment rather than a project.

Jim

Comment

• NateTTU
                                                            • Jul 2007

That veneer is certainly awesome. I would love to get some of that quality. However, I may suggest, Chuck, check out ebay for some "exotic" veneers at bargain basement prices. I got some figured makore that looks awesome, haven't placed it on the speakers yet, but it only cost me $40 or so to get enough for what I wanted. Granted, its not as nice as what Chris has and it is usually just the raw veneer without a backing, but for the price its worth at least trying. As long as your careful with the way you place the veneer on and if you don't have too many corners to fold over you will be ok. I'm just placing these on the front face anyways and not around any corners so it should work ok for my application but YMMV.

Comment

• impala454
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I hope to have these speakers for a long time to come, so will probably build a few small test boxes and do lots of testing with finishes. I see lots of component testing threads, i.e. that t-nut thread someone did, might be a good thread to see several different finishes or something...
                                                              -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2007

You might get your XPA-5 this week...
                                                                looks like you were right, just got the tracking email and it says Friday, shipping from Nashville.
                                                                -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Jan 2006

Thats awesome Now hopefully FedEx doesn't screw you over like me! :B Oh well I'll have mine tomorrow. Not like I can actually use it but I still want to touch it And look at it...take nekid picture of it haha! I saw someone do an unpacking log of the MPS-2 and they wrap the amp in like a cloth bag and all sorts of stuff it is quite a good packing job. They said they pack all their stuff the same way even the speakers.

Comment

• impala454
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2007

Ok so against the wishes of my ailing back (I'll probably feel it in the morning) I took advantage of the short work day provided by Tropical Storm Edouard and got all the Monitors finished and assembled. As said before, final finishing work will wait until I get a new place and build the full sized Statements. For now they're just all flushed up and sanded to 150 grit.

It is too late and my back hurting too much to get out the XPA-5 and hook it up, so hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow so I can crank em up! (that is if Edouard lets me have electricity for the whole day :P). Please excuse the several router noobie marks, it was my first time flush trimming and I sucked. Hopefully most of them will go away easily once I do the roundovers and final finishing work. Obviously veneer would cover them up easily.

Here they are, couldn't resist taking an all inclusive pic! (5/7ths done w/the project!)
                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 15 April 2023, 06:08 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                    -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Looking great Chuck! I almost finish my rack for my new amp and other toys Drill died waiting for a quick charge.... Have to take a picture to show it off. I bought some Minwax Polyshades Bombay Mahogany Gloss stain. It's like stain and poly all in one I don't know figured for my rack it would be good enough...although now I'm not sure I want to stain them I probably will though as it wouldn't match anything if I didn't. I also almost purchsed one 1" copper piping to cut and put around the bolts between each shelf but it was a bit pricey and decided to save it for later. I already have like 150 bucks into this darn rack although I must say its much more sturdy and will hold more weight then a commercial unit costing 150 bucks.

Comment

• David_D
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2008

They look great Chuck. I hope your back is OK.
                                                                        -David

As we try and consider
                                                                        We receive all we venture to give

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 16073

Yes try to save the back for the next project Higher some neighborhood teenagers to move the amp for you lol.

Comment

• impala454
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2007
                                                                            • 3814

Yeah I'm payin for it this morning haha. Oh well I was on the back end of the injury anyhow, doubt it set me back much. I just get a lot of pain and stiffness when I wake up. Once I sit upright for about an hour in my recliner it feels 10x better. I'm sure I'll at least get them all hooked up to my Denon if not the amp today. Wimpy hurricane off day, gotta have a sound system!
                                                                            -Chuck

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2007
                                                                              • 1877

#39
                                                                              I feel for ya. I used to have a problem with back spasms, it no picnic. Not as bad as what your going through, I'm sure. Also, Great looking system you built! I look forward to your critique.
                                                                              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2007
                                                                                • 3814

#40
                                                                                Yeah I'll probably feel it in the morning yet again heheh. Oh well hopefully all this work will help strengthen it some. I promised myself that when I got finished w/the monitors I will get back to the gym, so I'll be doing that as soon as my back gets better.

So I finally got everything set up, got the XPA-5 plugged in, all I have to say is HOLY CRAP! This is my first time trying out separates (well, signal still being fed from pre-outs of my Denon) and I have to say I'll never go back. To anyone considering an amp for their Statements setup, this sucker is a real winner. I have never heard detail like this. Definitely two thumbs up :T :T

Now to go listen to a bunch of other stuff.
                                                                                -Chuck

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 3223

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by impala454
                                                                                  Yeah I'll probably feel it in the morning yet again heheh. Oh well hopefully all this work will help strengthen it some. I promised myself that when I got finished w/the monitors I will get back to the gym, so I'll be doing that as soon as my back gets better.

So I finally got everything set up, got the XPA-5 plugged in, all I have to say is HOLY CRAP! This is my first time trying out separates (well, signal still being fed from pre-outs of my Denon) and I have to say I'll never go back. To anyone considering an amp for their Statements setup, this sucker is a real winner. I have never heard detail like this. Definitely two thumbs up :T :T

Now to go listen to a bunch of other stuff.
                                                                                  I have more good news. In 10-20 hours they'll sound better than they do now. I don't know why, they just do. Let them play over night or all day tomorrow and listen tomorrow night. :T

Jim

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2007
                                                                                    • 3814

#42
                                                                                    Listen to them for 10-20 hrs? NO PROBLEM!
                                                                                    -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 16073

#43
                                                                                      Yeah those Emotiva amps are excellent! Can't wait to get mine done. Glad you ended up purchasing it.

Comment

• wackii
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2006
                                                                                        • 226

#44
                                                                                        Good job, Chuck. They look great. Those trim marks should be an easy fix. Sand it flat first then round over. If you are decided to go w/ veneer make sure your round over is wide enough for the veneer to bend without cracking it. Great job. Looking forward to your review.

Al,

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 16073

#45
                                                                                          And rounding over all edges will make it rather difficult to veneer. So I'm guessing your just going to do the top and bottom edge? To cover up your mess ups?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"