• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

Iowa DIY 2023

Originally posted by Jim Holtz

So, here is the date and some info about Iowa DIY. I hope you can make it. I't would be great to meet in person.
    @Bryan@MAC said:
    October 20/21 -- save the date!
    Same as prior years -- Ankeny Best Western Premier.
    I'm waiting for a conference room contract and group rate for the hotel rooms. Considering the insane rate of inflation don't bank on any sort of deep discount. I'd suggest looking at all online discount options (AAA, AARP, etc).
    I'll confirm a room block and successful conference room contract as soon as we sign.
    Thanks all. Be back soon with details.

There is also a cluster of other motels within a very short walk of the BW, if that is a help to anyone. Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Ankeny, IA is the unlabelled icon just west of Econolodge.

Iowa DIY 2023 info for those interested in attending.
    Last edited by theSven; 04 August 2023, 15:51 Friday. Reason: Update location to Iowa
    Painter in training
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

The info I sent is Iowa rather than Indiana. The Indiana DIY event is earlier in the year and is already past.

Jim

Comment

• theSven
      Master of None
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
      The info I sent is Iowa rather than Indiana. The Indiana DIY event is earlier in the year and is already past.

Jim
      Thank you for the correction!
      Painter in training

Comment

• technodanvan
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Anyone know where to register for this? I don't see a link in the original post on MAC.
        - Danny

Comment

• theSven
          Master of None
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by technodanvan
          Anyone know where to register for this? I don't see a link in the original post on MAC.
          Did you ping Jim Holtz? Maybe he knows or other midewest members here?

With ticket prices being super high I'm probably not going to be able to attend 😢, and I get back from Europe that Thursday evening. I hope to see lots of photos and chatter about how awesome the event was!
          Painter in training

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Hi Danny,

Here's a paste with the link that Bryan posted for the event. I hope you can make it.

Hi gang. To ensure we have an accurate headcount and in order to plan the presentations for Saturday we are requiring attendee registration. To be clear; whether you are presenting or just hanging out, registration is required.
            Please follow this link to the registration form. Many thanks for your understanding.

​Jim

Comment

• theSven
              theSven commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for sharing this Jim Holtz
          • technodanvan
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Thank you!
            - Danny

Comment

• DaveFred
              • Sep 2018

Two cross boarder speaker events is all I think my wife will put up with in one year...

Comment

• technodanvan
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

I am sitting in a hotel room in Silverthorne, CO as it is the (rough) halfway point between Ankeny, IA and Las Vegas, NV. It's a nice little town up in the mountains and big enough for several hotel choices and, importantly in this case, gasoline. I believe I have less than half a gallon remaining as I pushed it to my destination. In any case, I have some free time so I thought I'd share my thoughts of Iowa DIY 2023.

First off, everyone was very welcoming and inviting, especially JR and Bryan from the MAC forums. I didn't know anyone of course, though I recognized Curt (Curt C) and Jim (Jim Holtz) from previous photos of them. I spoke with Curt for a while about his work for the event and a little of his design philosophy. I think we could have talked for quite some time had we more than the 5-10 minutes during a session break! I of course had not been to one of these events before, so some of my intended goals were just seeing how people interacted and how these things are organized. I'm naturally pretty introverted but several people came up to speak with me.

So, what's my impression of Iowa DIY 2023? Well, I'm definitely bringing something with me for Iowa DIY 2024! Maybe three somethings. Need to talk with JonMarsh about that.

I'm going to try to make it an annual trip. It is, after all, the nearest DIY get-together (that I'm aware of). Plus I have lots of friends and family in the area.

Anyway, I'm uploading photos now so will add those when they're ready. Hopefully this evening.

Edit (teaser):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0714.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	949582
                Last edited by technodanvan; 23 October 2023, 22:25 Monday.
                - Danny

Comment

• DeanP
                  DeanP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I recognize those 2 fellows in the back row! (I think anyways, ha ha)
              • Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Danny,

I'm sorry we didn't connect. I'd love to put a face to a name.

The good news is, Curt is the guy that can tell you all about our projects in detail.

Next time I hope!

Jim

Comment

• technodanvan
                  technodanvan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jim, I'm sorry I didn't make it happen this year. Next time for sure!
              • JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Hmmm. Interesting, very interesting. I haven't done any longer road trips in a while, but maybe this is something to consider next year...
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  JonMarsh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Longer" being more than 650 miles, in only 1 day.

• Jim Holtz
                  Jim Holtz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jon,

I hope you can make it next year and bring some of your current designs to demo. We'd love to have you attend and join in the speaker love fest. :-) There were 37 pairs of speakers this year so lots to listen to.

Jim

• technodanvan
                  technodanvan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jon, I could potentially pick up a set or two of your speakers for demoing next year if you want, then you could fly in if that's easier (though maybe not as cost effective). Just a thought.

Also - I'm technically on the hook for making several of your designs, so if I have a prolific winter I could just bring those.
              • theSven
                Master of None
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by technodanvan

Anyway, I'm uploading photos now so will add those when they're ready. Hopefully this evening.
                Looking forward to seeing some photos!!!!
                Painter in training

Comment

• technodanvan
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

Alright, so I'm back home now and everything seems good to go.

Speakers are shown in no particular order (I'll add my thoughts once all photos are added)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0715.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	949595

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0716.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	949596These featured a pair of RS225s in isobaric configuration and use a Dayton Designer Series PR on the back.​ These sounded really good, but I believe David mentioned they couldn't be pushed too far due to excursion limitations on the PR. Makes me wonder if a Dayton Reference Series PR would make a difference. Really nice set of speakers though!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0717.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	949597

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0718.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	949598
                  Another set by David, these use a 3D printed waveguide designed by Augerpro. Another really nice set!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0719.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.99 MB ID:	949599Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0720.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	949600
                  A freakin' third set by David!​ This one used a Visaton waveguide and, while I really liked the other two, I think these were his best effort pound for pound.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0721.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	949601

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0722.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.47 MB ID:	949602
                  Craig going back to the well with the little SB woofer, but this time with a Viawave ribbon tweeter (as opposed to a HiVi ribbon in the Keramiskas). I thought something didn't sound quite right in the bass section, but admittedly I was rarely in the sweet spot and often off axis at the back of the room. Part of the discussion I had with Curt revolved around the problematic bass in the listening room (he felt there was a boost around 400 Hz, which was generally pretty audible) so maybe it was particularly problematic on some of the test tracks chosen by Craig. I choose to believe the speakers are fine, as ignoring the bass they sounded quite good.
                  - Danny

Comment

• technodanvan
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009

Continued:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0723.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	949604

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0724.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.63 MB ID:	949605

Andy put together an interesting little set that featured a pair of socks in the ports to tame port resonances. I had hoped more people would bring Epique designs but this was the only one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0725.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	949606

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0726.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	949607
                    I really liked these big coax speakers by Scott and may have stirred the pot that is my mind for another build...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0727.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.95 MB ID:	949608

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0728.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.46 MB ID:	949609

I don't know if it's because these were the first speakers I heard Friday afternoon, or if it's just because I heard from these the most (both Friday and Saturday) but I really think these were the best two-ways at the show. I'm sure other speakers did a couple things better, but these were the whole package and quite compact to boot. JR really hit something special with these, IMO.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0729.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	949610
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0730.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	949611
                    This set of three-ways by JR was quite good, which is important because of the drivers used. The MAC forum will be selling these through JuleFidelity (a startup components company by a member of MAC forums) to help fund future events. The tweeter was something cheap from AliExpress (IIRC), but the 4" and 6" drivers (there is a 5" as well) are pretty solid. They have an introductory price going on right now that is hard to turn down.
                    - Danny

Comment

• technodanvan
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009

Continued some more:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0731.jpg Views:	5 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	949613

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0732.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.20 MB ID:	949614
                      These were interesting as they were designed for a specific space in mind, in this case on a shallow shelf next to a TV for Scott's son at college. This necessitated a front port, but I neglected to ask about BSC given the location. In any case, they sounded far and away better than whatever horrible TV speakers he had previously.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0733.jpg Views:	5 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	949615

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0734.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.68 MB ID:	949616

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0735.jpg Views:	5 Size:	3.39 MB ID:	949617
                      These mini towers were stunning in person, I hope my pictures do them justice. The selected drivers were modest but used to great effect.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0736.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	949618
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0737.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	949619
                      The only thing I remember about these was they rattled the ceiling a bit during some bass hits. The combo sounded great, though of course the RS28A is generally NLA at this point.
                      Last edited by technodanvan; 24 October 2023, 20:53 Tuesday.
                      - Danny

Comment

• technodanvan
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009

I took several pics of the below for obvious reasons. Brad was very modest in saying these were constructed with scraps, as if it isn't clear how much effort must have gone into these. Superb work, and while the little Satori might be small, these still sounded quite big.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0738.jpg Views:	5 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	949626

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0739.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	949621
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0740.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	949622
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0741.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.58 MB ID:	949623
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0742.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	949624
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0743.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	949625
                        Last edited by technodanvan; 24 October 2023, 20:55 Tuesday.
                        - Danny

Comment

• technodanvan
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2009

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0744.jpg Views:	5 Size:	948.9 KB ID:	949636

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0745.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	949628

Someone (I don't recall their name) had purchased a set of BMRs for himself back in...April, I think and wanted to give us a chance to hear them. We had an extended listening session later with a couple different amplifiers. The finish was impeccable, with several people marveling at how the seam in the veneer was extremely difficult to spot. They sounded marvelous, of course.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0746.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	949630
                          These little black and purple speakers were presented by Curt Campbell. Someone had shipped him the set for evaluation and crossover tweaking, but he said he didn't need to do anything to them. The cabinets were completely 3D printed. My understanding is they are also well braced, but if you pick one up they feel quite light. That said, I did not pick up any boxiness in the sound, so whatever was done inside was done well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0747.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	949631
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0748.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	949632

I spent quite a bit of time speaking with Clay and his wife about several things, but one thing was clear: his day job is a cabinetmaker. Lots of work went into these and they include a transmission line curled around the 'egg' and exiting at the side. I think the baffle was partly made of stone as well. Perhaps the best feature was the handle he included on the back, making one-handed carrying simple. His wife has been experimenting with a laser etcher of some variety and made the symbols on the bottom. Pretty great stuff, I might need to contact them about making a nameplate or two for my speakers sometime.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0749.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.64 MB ID:	949633

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0750.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	949634

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0751.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	949635
                          Unfortunately, I was not in the room for the presentation of these speakers and I did not hear them. I would have liked to, simply due to the use of the GRS tweeter that I intend to use in one of Jon's designs. I do know some parts (including the ports) were 3D printed though.
                          Last edited by technodanvan; 24 October 2023, 21:08 Tuesday.
                          - Danny

Comment

• technodanvan
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0752.jpg Views:	8 Size:	2.55 MB ID:	949638
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0753.jpg Views:	9 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	949639
                            Unfortunately, I was not in the room for the presentation of these speakers and I did not hear them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0754.jpg Views:	8 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	949640
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0755.jpg Views:	9 Size:	1.57 MB ID:	949641
                            Unfortunately, I was not in the room for the presentation of these speakers and I did not hear them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0756.jpg Views:	9 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	949642
                            I think it may have been Ron that made these little guys for a friend, I think. I guess there was some sentimental value associated with some speakers that no longer worked. These fullrangers had the input wires connected directly to the drivers - no filter included whatsoever. Despite that, these really surprised me with the sound they put out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0757.jpg Views:	8 Size:	2.63 MB ID:	949643
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0758.jpg Views:	8 Size:	1.91 MB ID:	949644
                            I don't recall anything about these...but I'm pretty sure I was there? Maybe I zoned out at some point, it was quite warm in the room as they were having issues with the a/c. In any case, I like the driver choices and how they looked!
                            Last edited by technodanvan; 24 October 2023, 21:16 Tuesday.
                            - Danny

Comment

• technodanvan
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2009

Last set of pics for individual speakers.

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	949646

Name:	IMG_0760.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	949647

Name:	IMG_0761.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	949648

Name:	IMG_0762.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	949649

Name:	IMG_0763.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	949650

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	949651

Name:	IMG_0765.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	949652

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	949653

Name:	IMG_0767.jpg
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	949654

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	949655
                              - Danny

Comment

• technodanvan
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2009

Couple pics of the setup.

Name:	IMG_0769.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	949657

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	949658

Name:	IMG_0772.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	949659
                                - Danny

Comment

• DeanP
                                  • May 2004

Thanks for the photos!

Comment

• theSven
                                    Master of None
                                    • Jan 2014

I second DeanP post! Thank you for the photos technodanvan!!!! The notes you had for these were great to read, I was focused on just taking photos when I was at the PE event. This must have been a fantastic meet up and I'm sorry to have missed it. Thanks for posting to share and letting us see the excitement from the event.
                                    Painter in training

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Thanks a lot for the photos and comments about systems you heard! There's a fascinating variety of system designs and construction efforts- quite interesting!

I noticed a number of CD's on the table in one picture- was there a set program group for each speaker like we used to do for the CA DIY? Or did people bring their own favorite material?

Do you have any idea about the number of attendees, and how wide a geographical area the Midwest Audio Club covers?
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• technodanvan
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2009

So everyone had 12 minutes per set of speakers: four minutes for setup/teardown/and presenting the speaker, four minutes for the 'house' tracks that all speakers played, and four minutes for the designers tracks, hence the number of CDs on that table. Each track was shortened to the interesting bits given the time constraints.

37 speakers in all, and at one point I counted about 30 attendees (include my friends and myself). I'm pretty sure we had folks as far away as Colorado and Indiana present, but it was mostly confined to Midwest states (excepting myself, of course!).

Bryan posted the house tracks on the MAC forum and are shown here as well. I only recognized a couple of them.

Originally posted by Bryan at MAC Forums
                                        2023 IOWA DIY house track:
                                        1. Run Away to Mars – TALK
                                        2. What a Wonderful World – Eva Cassidy
                                        3. Moondance – Van Morrison
                                        4. Pink Panther Theme (feat. Wynn Osborne) - Pickin' On the Movies: A Bluegrass Tribute to Classic Film Recordings
                                        5. Uninvited – Alanis Morrisette
                                        6. Marathon - Rush

To listen, check out this link: https://app.box.com/s/74rmx99odejyh7y51skxq1z78799pq4s

I'll post the other tracks as I find them. It was really great hearing what people chose; personally I got tired of hearing the house tracks after the 20th time or so but I understand there was really no other way to compare speakers fairly.

Originally posted by JR from MAC Forums
                                        My demo:
                                        1. The Beast In Me - Nick Lowe
                                        2. Everyday - Buddy Holly
                                        3. Helen O'Hara - The Mason's Apron
                                        4. Waltzing Mathilda - Deadwood OST
                                        5. Just Like Heaven - Katie Melua
                                        6. Da Som Nu Fur Alltid - Kent

Link:

- Danny

Comment

• technodanvan
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2009

Also, I should provide a link to the MAC forum as there are many more photos and insights of the event.

Hello fellow DIY brethren. It's time to start the planning for IOWA DIY 2023.
                                          - Danny

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                            • Aug 2000

Found them already, but thanks- and thanks for the update on the music tracks- all appreciated.
                                            the AudioWorx
                                            Natalie P
                                            M8ta
                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                            Modula MT XE
                                            Modula Xtreme
                                            Isiris
                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                            Minerva Monitor
                                            Calliope
                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                            Obi-Wan
                                            Modula PWB
                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"