X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Undefinition
    • Dec 2006

DIY Chicago 2011 - mark your calendars

Yes, it's for real. Mark your calendars!

Date: October 29, 2011
    Time: 9-5
    Place: Hyatt Regency Woodfield - Schaumburg, IL

I don't have an official webpage or anything yet (anyone care to help?). And please don't bomb my email address. If you're planning on attending, go ahead and post to this thread so we can start a head count. Oh, and feel free to post this to other message boards.

Some more info on the event...

Format
    I'd like to make this a "show and tell" event. I figure the usual 10ish minutes per speaker should be good. I will have a CD of 5-10 test tracks; not sure what those will be yet. You can opt to use some of the test tracks if you'd like, or bring your own.
    I know I'd talked about a "small speaker shootout" in the past. I still love this idea, but I'm a bit concerned about time for a "tourney" event. However I may make a sort of "silent ballot" for a small speaker event if enough people want to try it. ("small speaker" <= 5.5 Liters)
    I might also like to do an "honorable mention" ballot too, like I did in Iowa last year. Fun categories like, "Best WAF," "Worst WAF," "Best Woodworking," etc.

Playback Equipment
    Nothing special yet. I have decent equipment and various amps of different sizes and wattages if no one offers anything.

Meeting Space
    This hotel has a few different ballrooms, some more extravagant than others. I opted for the one with the 9-foot ceilings, as opposed to the one with 15-foot ceilings, because most of us don't have ceilings that tall in our homes. The meeting room is located near the parking lot, but there is a caveat: it is down a flight of stairs. Yes, there is an elevator, and yes you can bring things on wheels.

Schaumburg Area
    Schaumburg is a sort of "meeting hub" in the northwest suburbs of Chicago--not as congested as downtown, and not as expensive as the O'Hare area. I thought it would make a great place for a DIY event because it is located directly off two major highways. It's roughly 15 or so miles from downtown Chicago. Close enough that one could go sightseeing in their free time, but far enough away that you won't have to battle city traffic. Schaumburg is also home to Woodfield Mall, which is an insane spread of shopping. (So your wife or family could tag along, and would have something to do while you geeked out on speakers all day)

Dining and Hotels
    You are by no means obligated to stay at the Hyatt Regency. There's a bevy of hotels to choose from in the area. There's also plenty of places to eat; pretty much any kind of food you can think of. The franchise restaurants are closer to the mall, where the more unique and authentic eateries may be a mile or so drive. I have nothing definite planned for lunch on the day of the event.
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Ping me. I should be able to help out with equipment, running things, etc. I'll see if I can whip up a webpage on one of my sites for this too, if you like.

Won't be able to bring the big speakers though. Unless someone randomly shows up that morning with a moving van...
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Paul,
      I'm putting it on my calendar. I can help with setting up and stuff. Just let me know what you need help with. I also own a pick-up, so if you need help getting things from your house to the hotel.

If there is space, I'd be willing to bring my large Khans. People got to hear them in Iowa, so if there are other designs that is okay too.

CJD should bring his Ansonica's.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks a LOT for doing this.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Yeah, the Ansonica will make a showing for sure. We'll see if I have anything else cooked up.

Comment

• Rick Craig
          • Jul 2006

Hope to see you guys next Sunday in Racine.

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Rick,
            I saw that posted. I would love to, but am already going to be out of town next week.
            - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Woah. What? Racine? I have missed seeing this entirely. Details? That's probably a half hour drive for me, and I'm pretty sure I'm free next Sunday...

Comment

• Rick Craig
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                Woah. What? Racine? I have missed seeing this entirely. Details? That's probably a half hour drive for me, and I'm pretty sure I'm free next Sunday...
                I'll be showing some of my designs.

Here's the information...

Sunday, August 28th

Noon-5pm

Food and Drinks Provided

Sticky Rice Restaurant
                337 Main St.
                Racine, WI 53403
                Host: Morakat Khampane
                morakotkh@yahoo.com

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Thanks Rick! I'll have to see if I can swing by.

Comment

• Ortheum
                    • Aug 2009

I'd love to make it down to Shaumburg on the 29th, but I have to work and I'm not sure I can get off. I'd love to meet some of you guys in the Chicago/Milwaukee area.

I will be at the Racine meet-up, hope to meet some of you there.

Comment

• dar47
                      • Nov 2008

My wife keeps going to Chicago to shop and I have not left the air port every time passing through. Maybe I can come and bring my Modula MT XT's.

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by dar47
                        My wife keeps going to Chicago to shop and I have not left the air port every time passing through. Maybe I can come and bring my Modula MT XT's.

Ooooh, that would be nice. I would love to hear those.
                        - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Bump just to celebrate the new sticky status.
                          - Ryan

Comment

• Justaguy
                            • Jun 2011

May be a dumb question but can anyone attend? I don't have any original designs to show off but I would love to hear other peoples designs and meet the people who's designs I enjoy reading about. I may be able to lend a hand as I am about 1.5 to 2 hours away.

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

Yup, it's open to anyone. Highly recommended to just come and lend an ear/hand to see what you like and start to learn the lay of the land.

C

Comment

• Justaguy
                                • Jun 2011

Well in that case count me in. If I can help set up or move let me know. I am an electrician\electrical technician by trade. Can't wait.

Matt

Comment

• ---k---
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2005

Paul,

Any updates? Do you have a list of what speakers are coming yet?
                                  - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2004

Well, I can tell you I'm pondering renting a truck for the day - if I get one with a ramp, my living room might just get cleaned out and transported. Time will tell.

I guess my wife has now decided that may be the weekend to be on vacation too :P

Comment

• Chunga
                                      • Dec 2010

I am hoping to head out for the event - I have nothing to bring, but will definitely enjoy listening. I'm hoping this fall will be the time for my first project.

Comment

• Ortheum
                                        • Aug 2009

I'm contemplating taking the day off work to come down. I have no speakers worth bringing though.

Comment

• cjd
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2004

Hmm. Sawdust too. There may yet be a new project to bring.

Comment

• ---k---
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                            Well, I can tell you I'm pondering renting a truck for the day - if I get one with a ramp, my living room might just get cleaned out and transported. Time will tell.

I guess my wife has now decided that may be the weekend to be on vacation too :P
                                            I briefly thought about offering my pick-up. But then I realized that I don't have a lifting ramp and the thought of having to lift those into the bed made me quickly reconsider.

I know at these events, there often isn't enough time to really listen to all the speakers brought. I'll be glad to bring my Khans, but I don't want to crowd out other newer speakers that haven't been demoed.

Maybe I'll see if I can borrow my brother Ochocincos. Those deserve to be heard.
                                            - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Dec 2004

Well... we now have power - and I mean POWER - available. Should be able to handle anything and get it to make sound - up to and perhaps even including a dead short. I don't want to test that though.

1000W into 4ohms is exactly WHAT at 2.8ohm? other than a little scary?

We should get a sign-up going to have a better handle on how quickly to keep things moving. Time to hear everything is a very good point.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2005

The Ochocinco's are home and making an appearance.
                                                - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Dec 2004

fun! I got the box finished for the sub/sat experiment. RS265HO tuned pretty low (20Hz-ish) up-firing...

Comment

• ---k---
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2005

Update posted at PE TechTalk

Originally posted by bkeane1259
                                                    OK guys -- here is the official unofficial website for the Chicago DIY 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	chidiy2011.webp
Views:	29
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	945031

http://chicagodiy2011.x10.mx/

Check back often as it will be continuously updated as we head into the event.

Many thanks to my son, Cory, for putting it together....

Please spread the word by sending the LINK to other interested parties, etc.

Any questions on the site, please hit me up.

Looking forward to the gathering!!
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 10 July 2023, 22:39 Monday. Reason: Update quote
                                                    - Ryan

Comment

• Maklar
                                                      • Jan 2011

I might show up to this but it's about a 6 hour drive. If I do I'll bring the clearwave dynamic 1S RS I'm building.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2005

I've made the drive to Iowa. It is well worth it. If this even is 1/2 as good, it will be worth it. Hopefully, we see you there. I know that I would enjoy hearing the Dynamic 1S.
                                                        - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2005

Just a bump to make sure people are seeing this.

The website has been updated with additional information on who is coming and what they are bringing. I think we're up to 23 different speakers. It should be a good time. If you're anywhere close to Chicago, please come join us.
                                                          - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Nov 2005

If anyone hasn't noticed, Zaph mentioned on his website that a Zaph ZA5.2 kit with cabinets has been donated by Madisound as a door prize. 8O

- Ryan

Comment

• Mark Seaton
                                                              • Aug 2001

Originally posted by ---k---
                                                              Just a bump to make sure people are seeing this.

The website has been updated with additional information on who is coming and what they are bringing. I think we're up to 23 different speakers. It should be a good time. If you're anywhere close to Chicago, please come join us.
                                                              I'm interested in seeing what new things DIYers are tinkering with these days, and being local I'll definitely be there.

Paul, I'll send you a PM as a local company I'm working with and helping with some DIY parts/products might want to join in the fun.
                                                              Mark Seaton
                                                              "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Nov 2005

Very cool. See you there.
                                                                - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Nov 2005

Bump. Only a few days away. Everyone is welcome to show up. The more the merrier. See you all there.
                                                                  - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2004

Car is loaded up and ready to go.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2005

I'll see you in the morning. I'm going to try and get there around 8:00 am too to help if needed.
                                                                      - Ryan

Comment

• Undefinition
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2006

That's a wrap. I had a great time, and I hope everyone else did as well.

I think the event turned out very nicely. I have never hosted anything in my life, nor had any desire to. But I always wanted to see one of these events happen here in the Chicago suburbs (and LOTS and LOTS of people have asked me about it over the years). With the help of Chris (cjd) and Brian it just snapped together! I would not have done it without them.

Thanks very much to our sponsors for the very cool schwag: Meniscus, Madisound, Solen, Parts Express, Cross-Spectrum Labs, HDTracks, and even our own D,Rose donating a pair of waveguides.

Thanks most of all to all the attendees who made the trip, from near and far. It's the people who make these events so much fun.

The turnout was good. My goal for the day was at least 40 people, and that's just what we had. I wish we had had a few more speakers, however as Dan said, the upside to this was that each speaker had more time for listening and experimentation. As for the quality of the entries, well I'm really impressed. It's cliche to say it, but the standard gets ratcheted up every year. There were NO stinkers at this show. And I'm not just saying that to be nice.

The hotel was hit and miss. The room was a good fit for the number of people, and was a snazzy place to boot. Unfortunately, it was so upscale that they thought they had the right to nickel and dime everyone. So I apologize for the rip-off breakfast and the internet woes. AND, in the future, even if they give us a "group discount rate" be sure and ask for AAA or internet rates, just in case--because it turns out they're lower. :M

I could definitely see doing another Chicago DIY next year, and hopefully we'd see even more people and their creations.
                                                                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                                                                        Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2005
                                                                          • 5204

It was a great event. Thanks Paul. I posted a bunch more at PE.
                                                                          - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Nov 2005
                                                                            • 5204

Results are in.

The ---k--- / CJD Ochocinco's won 1st place in "Best speakers to build and give as a gift" and 2nd place in "Best Bang for the Buck."

CJD's Anasonica won 1st place in "I'd sure like a pair of those in my living room"

Awesome showing!
                                                                            - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"