X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Undefinition
    • Dec 2006

Chicago DIY -- any interest?

My wife joined me for the Dayton DIY 2008. And hard as it may be to believe, she found it fairly interesting, and said that if I wanted to host an event that she would be willing to help. I don't actually know how many DIYers there are in Chicagoland, but I know there are a ton of us in the midwest. It may also be a good chance to bring some people out of the north (you know I'm talking to you, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan!) to meet the rest of us.

I've been thinking about locations for a while. I wouldn't have it in downtown Chicago, but rather probably in the northwest suburbs. Schaumburg is ideally located and has a lot of very nice hotels and meeting space. I was also thinking of asking my alma mater, Elmhurst College (also ideally located), if they would let me use their recital hall to host. There are lots of possibilities, really. I'm not too worried about that.

My main concern is WHEN. I don't really know when would be a good month to host an event. Iowa happens in October, Shawn's event was in April, Dayton was July... any other good ideas? I know we can set our watch to Iowa, but I don't know about InDIYana or Dayton for next year.

Oh also, one more thing: Wolf (from the PE board) and I have been talking about a "small speaker shootout." Entries would have to be smaller than 6x6x9 (~3 liters max). I'd like to have this as part of the event... even if it's not a contest per se, but just for fun.

So what do you all think? Any comments, suggestions for a date? Who might be interested in attending?
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I'd likely attend if it's at a time I can make it. I was asked to emcee the last one that never happened - Dave Ellis was trying to set it up.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I'm definitely interested but it depends on my employment situation. I think later September after vacations and the kids get back in school is the best time. It also gives some breathing room between Chicago and Iowa.

Jim

Comment

• CupCak3
        • Oct 2007

I also interested. I agree with Jim for sometime in the fall... the "full schedule" summer is over and the weather would still be decent to carry around speakers.

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

I would definitely attend - though I think that Naperville is the "ideal" location. :P

I would even be interested in a smaller "get together" with just a few people and a few speakers, if that is easier.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• CupCak3
            • Oct 2007

party at k's house

Comment

• Rolex
              • Mar 2005

Depending on when the date is, I would probably be interested in attending. I'm in West Michigan.

Comment

• mmoeller
                • May 2006

I would defiantly be interested in this, and would be willing to donate some of my time to the process.

Comment

• JonW
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Interesting idea. How about the spring time, like maybe March-ish? That way it's staggered a good ways from Iowa. And after the winter, when more of us might get more speaker work done. Whereas we might be spending more time outside in the warmer months.

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

Defiantly, eh?

I can haul my monoblocks/pre and such, should be a solid foundation. If I rent a van and some movers, I might even be able to bring the big monsters so few folks have heard.

Prizes, categories, and food options should all be considered.

Venue, best results are going to be in a somewhat acoustically dead space. A cafeteria would potentially work better than a recital hall, which tends to be fairly live.

I'll be busy for most of the next two months, if that makes even the least bit of difference.

C

Comment

• Undefinition
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by JonW
                      Interesting idea. How about the spring time, like maybe March-ish? That way it's staggered a good ways from Iowa. And after the winter, when more of us might get more speaker work done. Whereas we might be spending more time outside in the warmer months.
                      <raises eyebrows>
                      Actually, March sounds really good. As much as I'd love to do one in September or November, it's too soon, and I wouldn't get around to it until next year. But next March, that IS doable. June might be fun, too. Okay, I'm liking where this is going.... I'm also really pleased with the folks who are willing to make the trip. Thanks, guys. Sounds good so far.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

If someone close to my area was heading out there I'd be happy to tag along if they were willing to take on a hitchhiker :B

Comment

• maynardg
                          • Jan 2007

Darn! I was hoping for Sept 27 this year. I would have attended with speakers.

MG

Comment

• chasw98
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

March would be nice. I can put that in my far ahead calendar.

Comment

• Doug Lockwood
                              • Mar 2005

I would be interested in attending.

Comment

• Mudjock
                                • Sep 2005

March sounds good to me, too. I got my fill of Chicago for a while this week - sitting on the Tarmack at O'Hare for over 3 hours Monday during the severe storm only to have my flight cancelled anyway. :M

Given that Iowa already has enough/too many speaker entries this year, it would be a opportunity to run some of the designs that didn't make it in time. The small speaker shootout sounds fun, too.
                                Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• ---k---
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2005

Hey, I got to sit on the tarmac in Atlanta and Tampa last Thursday for 4 hours! :P I finally got to ATL around 12:30 am. There were so many people in baggage claim waiting for their bags, that you seriously could not move. After waiting about an hour, I said screw it. I got my rental car and headed to my hotel. I got my bag the next day when on my way home. Worked out pretty well, except for the fact that the hotel has all personal hygiene products other than deodorant - not good for an outdoor meeting in Atlanta.

After 200,000 flight miles, I've found all commercial airlines / airports suck. ORD and ATL get a bad reputation only because they handle a disproportional number of flights. Sorry for the tangent. I'm a bit protective of ORD and UAL. I'm the oddball, but they've treated me much better than anyone else.
                                  - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2004

Milwaukee is so different - last time I flew from there, Security was waiting on ME to get my shoes off, laptop out, etc. :P

March could work, to be sure.

C

Comment

• timmay1969
                                      • Dec 2005

I would love to attend anytime. I could bring my aerial 7b's so everyone could show me why I just need to build my own mains and sell the aerials.
                                      Sub is finished and my center(statement) is in the works.
                                      BTW, the emotiva xpa-5 blew me away at how good it sounds. My rotel amp will be for sale shortly. Your advice has made my system ROCK!

Comment

• Mudjock
                                        • Sep 2005

In my case, the main problem is the commuter flight from the Quad Cities to Chicago. At the first sign of any kind of trouble, which O'Hare has no surplus capacity to deal with, they begin cancelling the commuter flights. Often, if we have a late flight home, we will book a one-way car rental in advance as a contingency to avoid being stranded at the airport overnight.

Other than that, I didn't have any particular complaints about O'Hare until this week, when they rolled us out into a severe storm and left us sitting out in the open in a tin can full of jet fuel even though they thought the problem was serious enough to evacuate the terminal (not to mention that their press release stated that they evacuated the planes).
                                        Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• John_E_Janowitz
                                          • Jan 2006

I could probably make it for a Chicago meet. Would be able to bring down some woofers and things were working on as well. Hopefully everything will be in full production by that point.

John

Comment

• Quwiksilver
                                            • Apr 2007

I'd likely attend an event in Chicago. Sounds like fun! :T

Comment

• ---k---
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by John_E_Janowitz
                                              I could probably make it for a Chicago meet. Would be able to bring down some woofers....
                                              John

Did I just hear an offer of door prizes. :P

Hahhaha
                                              - Ryan

Comment

• mpotoka
                                                • Sep 2007

I'm in for a Chicago event, especially since I just moved downtown. Think I could take some speakers on the L?

Comment

• ---k---
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2005

Was that tongue in cheek? I don't have anything against the L, but the suburban venues will likely not be near an L or Metra station.

We can probably find you a ride when it gets closer.
                                                  - Ryan

Comment

• mpotoka
                                                    • Sep 2007

Yah I have a minivan to haul some stuff with

Comment

• cjd
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Dec 2004

I might have to rent a van and haul the big speakers out... I'd need loading help on the home side though.

Comment

• pres589
                                                        • Jun 2008

If you hold it in May I could make it, as I was planning a motorcycle trip to Toronto from here in Wichita KS, so obviously the biggest speakers I bring might be earbuds. But I'd love to check this kind of thing out. Chicago could be a good middle stopping point for the trip.

Comment

• Undefinition
                                                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                                                          I might have to rent a van and haul the big speakers out... I'd need loading help on the home side though.
                                                          Yes, Chris, the world needs to hear those monsters! (They're worth the listen, everyone. I've heard them. They have a sound that just makes you want to say, "Oh yeah. That's the stuff.")

By the way, CJD, are you still serious about bringing the monoblocks and CD player? I don't have much fancy playback equipment (unless you count pro audio amps and mixers).

I'm gonna have to make some phone calls today. See where/when I can set this up. Boy you all got me psyched!

Comment

• cjd
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Dec 2004

Yup, I'm serious about providing equipment. I have it all, it's got lots of pretty clean power minus an odd spot or two on the pre, and is low-impedance stable. I can bring the Face amp as well if we need even more power, not sure how the SQ will be different than the Outlaws. Should have final pieces to finish my DAC today, and may finally have ordered a pre for the old TT I have (will do a decent budget pre, and if my wife decides it's worth it, i'll look at new stylus for the TT - it's an old but I think rather good Technics...) The player is a Universal player, does MP3, SACD, DVD-A, you name it.

C

Comment

• ---k---
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Nov 2005

Chris,
                                                              I recently bought a Honda Ridgline. If Paul insist on having this up near him instead of in Naperville I could probably help out.

For equipment, I think your Outlaw monoblocks would work great. Not sure what you were offering for the preamp, but I would prefer it to not be your DIY unit. While it is great, there were some minor problems with a DIY preamp at Iowa last year, and several people grumbled. Funny, DIY speaker = great, DIY Preamps = Junk.
                                                              - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Dec 2004

The DIY pre-amp is what I run every single day. It's all I have. Well, I probably have a 2 channel that might have pre outs I could use, don't have much cable to support that since most of what I normally run is balanced. My DAC wouldn't work with it... Got time to figure it out.

C

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Nov 2005

Yeah. It's not a big deal. I just shake my head, but you know there are people who like to find reason why their speakers didn't perform up to expectations. I would hate for your preamp to get blamed.

I'm sure we can find something if you don't have it. There are lots of people interested, someone must have a decent preamp. If nothing else, I could always bring my Outlaw RS2100 receiver (if it ever gets fixed!) and not run fully balanced.

I'm not sure we need an outboard DAC. Your CD player should be fine. Or I could bring my Denon 2900. I don't think people could complain about it.
                                                                  - Ryan

Comment

• timmay1969
                                                                    • Dec 2005

I could bring my anthem d1 if needed.

Comment

• cjd
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2004

Eh, if people complain about the pre, they're smoking something. I mean, at one time I had one that even I complained about, but this one's been solid. Let's just go ahead and put it in a nice box, I'll add some official looking logos, nice wooden knobs that get the audiophile seal of approval, fancy schmancy expensive isolation blocks, some sort of "god" figurine on top for good vibes...

C

Comment

• timmay1969
                                                                        • Dec 2005

Can we glue some tubes on the back? It'll remind me of my marshall half stack.

Comment

• cjd
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2004
                                                                          • 5570

Mmmmm, tubes. I'll add some big weights and a space heater, and just put it in a really big box, plus a low voltage light bulb in there...

The attenuator actually takes up more space than the pre-amp part(s)

Comment

Working...
                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                          Search Result for "|||"