X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chuck
    • Apr 2004

Denon 5900 vs 3910

So this is what my local salesman said "the 3910 IS the 5900, plus better audio codecs and HDMI, only in the 2900 chasis."

Does this pretty much some it up? So I'm in between ordering the much-preferred silver 3910 and the refurbished 5900. Should this even be a toss up?

Thanks!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Chuck,

Sorry to muddy the water further, but does build-quality enter into the equation for you? If it's not important I'd go with the 3910, but if it is, then compare this between the two units. Look at the isolation set-up, the quality of individual components, the chassis itself. Then, decide if the differences in construction are basically worth giving up HDMI.

For me, I'd take better quality design/construction/isolation over HDMI.

As always, this is just my 2 cents. Good luck.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

I personally wouldn't touch a refurb with a ten foot pole myself. The 5910 will be better than the 3910. If you want the 5900 series unit, then you'll need to pony up the extra $800. I can only imagine what they will do to the 5910 to make it much superior than the 5900..

Comment

• nyny
        • Jul 2004

Hi guys, here is a link to the comparison review between 3910, A11 (5900), and Pioneer 969 (59AVi) by AVBuzz.com (it's in Chinese): http://www.avbuzz.com/eq/3910/3910a.htm

According to the reviewers, the 3910 has the best PQ among the three players. However, the reviewers were unable to test audio performance since they had to return the test unit to Denon.

Now I am even more interested in the 3910....can't wait!
        Tony

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Shane Martin
          I personally wouldn't touch a refurb with a ten foot pole myself. The 5910 will be better than the 3910. If you want the 5900 series unit, then you'll need to pony up the extra $800. I can only imagine what they will do to the 5910 to make it much superior than the 5900..
          Personally if I can save the money I would prefer a refurb with a 2 or 3 year extended warranty. I have a refurb 2900 and it has performed flawlessly. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with refurbs from Denon as they are supposedly tested to spec before they are sent out for resale. There are several of us here on this forum who own or have owned refurbs and been very happy. Have you had a bad experience with a Denon refurb?

Where have you heard about a 5910?... it's my understanding the 3910 is the replacement the 5900.

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Have you had a bad experience with a Denon refurb?
            No but I do NOT trust them.
            Where have you heard about a 5910?... it's my understanding the 3910 is the replacement the 5900
            Due out Decemberish I heard. This is the replacement for the 5900. Their 3910 is a replacement for the 2900. I'm trying to decide between a 2910 and the 3910 right now.

Comment

• Adz
              • Jan 2004

The 5910 does exist and there is a wealth of information (and speculation) around it on the AVS Forum. What is clear is that the 5910, not the 3910 is the replacement for the 5900 but it will not be out until early 2005. Denon pulled it for now to accomodate "next generation technologies" and speculation is running rampant about the new features including the next generation Faroujda DCDI and Silicon Image technology and maybe even BlueRay /HD DVD support. Expected retail price is $2,500, so start saving now.

I have three college savings accounts. One for Jordan, one for Sarah and one for Denon! :W
              Adz

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Uh-oh ADZ, what was I saying to you a week or so ago that I'd put off upgrading my DVD player for a couple of years?! Yikes....

Jim

:E
                jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Chuck
                  • Apr 2004

Thanks adz. I'm starting to feel a little stupid for buying a Rotel earlier this year. Don't get me wrong, it sounds pretty good, but it doesn't have hdmi or ilink or whatever for dvd-audio which is now a twist in the panties. So maybe I should wait for the blu ray / hd dvds and rid myself of future regret.

Thanks

Comment

• Chuck
                    • Apr 2004

One more question, any suggestions for stand alone Dvd-audio / sacd players? I wouldn't mind putting some money into a seperate player. My current dvd player doesn't support either, but does have dvi out (samsung 931).

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

Chuck,

I recently purchased the Pioneer Elite 59AVI to replace a three year old DVD player. However, I am still breaking it in, but it has both DVD-A and SACD capabilities. I am uncertain of how it will compare with the new Denon line, but I am happy with my purchase thusfar.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                        • May 2004

yup, I bought my 2200 just about a year ago, AND from a unauthorized dealer. It's performed flawlessly this far. I wouldn't pay another $1000+ for a DVD player until HD DVD/Blue Ray comes out in the market. It'll also give most current DVD players a price drop.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                          • Oct 2002

Kris Deering from Secrets just said the 5900 has a better frequency response then the 3910 also. Full Secrets review shoud come out soon.

The 3910 is replacing the 2900, and the 5910 will replace the 5900 around january. The 3910 is a 5900 with slightly different DACs, only 1 power supply (the 5900 has 2 independant powert supplies) and a lesser build quality. So far, reviewers are saying the PQ is a bit superior with the 3910 (with an inferior frequency response?), but audio wise the 5900 is still superior.

Also, the 3910 has a S/N ratio of 118dB and THD of 0.0009% compared to the 5900's S/N ratio of 120dB and THD of 0.0008% This may be partially due to the use of different DAC's.

The 5910 was on display in a show in Honk Kong, and it was roughly 2 times the size of the 3910.

I already pre-ordered my 5910.. :B
                          Last edited by LEVESQUE; 05 October 2004, 10:07 Tuesday.
                          To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Cowanrg
                            • Feb 2004

got a picture of the 5910? im required to keep my 3910 for a year (denon policy), but after a year, its the 5910 for me!

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Cowanrg, what do you mean about the Denon policy? Are you doing testing and eval for them or something? If I haven't said hi already, I grew up in Castle Rock, CO, and will end back there in the state someday, I'm sure.
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                • Oct 2002

Denon 3910 results at Secrets:

There was also the Arcam DV27A and the Denon 1910 in that shoot-out.
                                To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Cowanrg
                                  • Feb 2004

Chris,

its a policy if you are a dealer. i get it at cost, but i have to keep it a year.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"