X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sindhu
    • Feb 2005

Using the HDMI port on Denon 3910

Have heard so much about HDMI so have decided to give it a shot. But .....
    I have a Denon 3910 with a HDMI out and my Denon AVR 3805 is not HDMI. So if I connect the TV HDMI port directly to the DVD player for the video and use the denon link (as I do now) to connect to the AVR for Audio -- will it work?Will the DVD player send audio signals through the Denon Link when HDMI is set up ? Need an expert opinion before I spend big bucks on the HDMI cable.

Sindhu :roll:
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hi, Sindhu, I also have a 3910. It's a very versatile player, and among other things, you can choose whether you send audio over HDMI or not. I personally do use HDMI for video from the 3910 at 720p to my Panasonic PT-AE700 projector. For audio, though, I either use the digital coax or analog multichannel outputs. I do recommend getting the HDMI cable! You're not running a long HDMI length, though, right?

Bottom line, using HDMI for video and denon link for audio will work great.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Sindhu
      I have a Denon 3910 with a HDMI out and my Denon AVR 3805 is not HDMI. So if I connect the TV HDMI port directly to the DVD player for the video and use the denon link (as I do now) to connect to the AVR for Audio -- will it work?Will the DVD player send audio signals through the Denon Link when HDMI is set up ? Need an expert opinion before I spend big bucks on the HDMI cable.
      Yes. I've done it. BTW, why spend big bucks on the cable. Try monoprice.

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• norpus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Sindhu

Yes it works fine on my 3805/3910 combo as you describe. HDMI cable shouldn't be too exxy
        Cheers
        Norpus
        "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

• Sindhu
          • Feb 2005

Thanks Guys. I shall go for it.

Sindhu :lol:

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
            I have done this on my 3910/3805 combo but there is a drawback. In order to view the 3805 set up menus you must create another video path from the 3805 to your TV. This is possible using the SVHS output from the receiver.

So, depending on the available TV inputs, you may not be able to view the set up menus. My Hitachi plasma is very versitile and allows either hookup. I got around this by using the 3805 to do my video switching and interface to my TV thrrough the component outputs.

Some might say that this gives lower video quality (component vs. HDMI). I was concerned about this so I tried both ways and could not see any difference. It is definitely more convenient to use the 3805 video switching because the video paths ae reduced to one. That means you don't have to switch inputs on the TV to view the set up menus from either the 3805 or the 3910 or normal video.

Check it out and let us know if you see a difference between using HDMI directlly from the 3910 or component outouts from the receiver.

Sparky

Comment

• Sindhu
              • Feb 2005

Need some clarification

As recommended by some of you guys I have set up the HDMI connection directly from the DVD 3910 to the TV and the audio I have routed through the DLink to the 3805. I find that I need to mute the TV since the 3910 passes the audio via the HDMI to the TV.

First , I have a question for Chris - Chris you mentioned that I can choose whether I want to send the audio via the HDMI. Need your help here since I could not figure out how to stop it.

Second, I have set the HDMI as enhanced (black), 720p and component format. When playing the DVD I find that the DVD player panel shows D.Mix lit up. The question is what is it down mixing ? Is it the audio which is connected to the TV which is stereo or is it somthing to do with the video ?

Overall the results are pleasing. I think that the edges of the images are slightly sharper, the sweat drops on the faces of the pilots in Black Hawk Down shine a little more. I will go with it, but component is very close.

Sindhu

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Sindhu,
                There is another set of issues with all these crazy interfaces. Namely, where are the digital to analog conversions taking place and when? By using the component outputs from the 3910, (like I am), the video is being converted by the 3910, then is delivered to the TV in an analog form through the video switching in the 3805.

Depending on the TV, the signal may be reconverted back to digital. This is the way a native digital TV would work like a plasma or LCD derivitive. However, an analog TV would use the component signals directly without additional conversion. It seems to me that my scheme is at a disadvantage with the additional conversion taking place in my Hitachi plasma set.

For your situation, the HDMI may be being used without additional conversion. You did not say which TV technology you are using. If your TV is native digital, no additional conversion is taking place. This is good, I think, and may account for the slight advantages you are seeing.

By using the D Link fron the 3910 to the 3805, the audio D to A conversion is taking place in the 3805. So, we must ask, where would we prefer the the audio to be converted? In the 3910 or the 3805? Or better said, which unit offers the best conversion. Personally, I'm very happy with the 3805's converter for HT use.

For stereo music, I have a separate audio path using the 3910 PCM coax output which goes to an outboard tube DAC which delivers its converted output to a separate input on my Krell preamp. For music, the 3805 is not turned on. No need for it. The front L & R channels (and the center for HT), both for HT and music, are driven by my 3 channel Krell power amp. The 3805 power amps are only used for the surround channels. Thus, for music they are not used.

Whew, this stuff requires a SYSTEM INTEGRATION PHD.

Sparky

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Sindhu, unfortunately I'm not at home to dig into my 3910 also, but I'm pretty sure that if you read the manual, it will tell you how to disable audio over HDMI, and that it's one of the functions when you press the "setup" button on the remote.

As for muting the TV, is there a reason you would ever need it unmuted, now that you have a receiver and speakers? Do you not have a separate TV tuning source, or unable to output audio from the TV to the Denon receiver? The receiver will undoubtedly give you better sound, so if you can rout all audio sources to the receiver and just turn off the TV speakers, you'll be better off.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• comeup
                    • Jul 2005

, so if you can rout all audio sources to the receiver and just turn off the TV speakers, you'll be better off.

Chris, this man may have a wife like alot of us who likes to watch tv
                    without the receiver. My wife hates surround sound says its too loud but loves music.

I like to give my system a break sometimes when watching regular tv especially the news or something that has alot of dialogue. just my humble opioion :W
                    Blake

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Blake,
                      I'm the same way. Rather than shutting off the TV speakers, I just mute it. On my Pronto, I have programmed a Mute TV on each major function screen. It can be a bit of a hastle but, like you said, sometimes I just want to watch plain old TV.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"