X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Denon 2900 vs 5900 vs 9000

Any comments from those in the know? Curious.

I'm considering the 5900 for it's dual component outputs. How's the video processing compared to the 9000? I noticed the 5900 has Faroudja, vs another chip on the 9000. Is the 5900 actually more recent technology? I think it is, but looking for some confirmation.

Isolation for dVD audio and SACD may be better in the 9000, that's about it, I am thinking-

lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yes, the DVD-5900 is the latest unit to be released from Denon, along with the somewhat lower-end 2200. (only in comparison) The 9000 has been out for some time now. In terms of price, yes, the order of ascending cost is 2900 ($1000), 5900 ($2000), and 9000 ($3000 or so). In terms of performance, though, I've never seen a 9000 in person, but from what I understand it's performance advantage over lesser units has for some time been compromised as newer technologies and parts come out. Just compare DAC's for one. So to compare the three units on the basis of performance, I think in GENERAL it would go 2900, 9000, and then 5900, although as you point out the 9000 may have one aspect here or there that does better than the 5900, even taking into consideration the THX certification. The 5900 just has way too many awesome specs.

Me personally, if you offered a 9000 and 5900 to me at the same cost, or even the 9000 for several hundred dollars less, I would take the 5900 each time. DVI output with upscaling? BNC component output? Oh yeah, baby...

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Trevor Schell
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The 5900 is on my list.
      As far as I am concerned the 9000 is outdated. It's been out for a couple
      years already.
      List on the 5900 in CDN is $3,300.
      Likely one could get it for $2,500.
      My Toshiba SD-9200 may have to go bye -bye..

Trevor
      My HomeTheater S.E.
      Sonically Enhanced
      C5
      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I agree I wouldn't take a 9000 over even the 2900 as the 2900's a universal and has better video then the 9000...actually the 1600,2900 and 5900 are about as good as it gets for video performance with the 5900 offering DVI out as well. I'll likely end up with the 2900 at some point but only b/c I don't have the funds for the 5900

Comment

• Trevor Schell
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Your right Andrew,,
          The Denon 9000 may make a great cD transport over the others.

The 5900 is the tops for Video.
          At 28 pounds it likely is very solid for CD transport as well.

Trevor
          My HomeTheater S.E.
          Sonically Enhanced
          C5
          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Unless I can trade for a 2900 on something, I'll likely go with the 5900.

Then again, there's a Lexicon RT-10 available at 1000 off new. :twisted:

Lex
            Doug

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Lex
              Then again, there's a Lexicon RT-10 available at 1000 off new.
              OOOOH :P :P How much does that come to with the $1000 off???

If it's even close to the 5900 I think I'd be temted. I'd at least be doing a side by side....

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Well, the RT-10 is a grand more than what I "think" I can get a 5900 for, even a grand off it's that much more, lol.

side by side is unlikely. I may be able to find a 5900 locally, but doubtful an RT-10. The only Lex dealer in this area is a custom install operation that I wouldn't do business with. I contacted them on doing my last Lexicon upgrade with them, received a luke warm welcome on the phone, and was not phoned back when I asked them to return calls. In short, I drove 100 miles and said "f..k" em. lol. I also emailed them telling them what kind of service I received from them, and didn't even get a response. Basically, I get the feeling if your not doing a 30K system, they aren't intersted in talking to you. Amazing.

Lex
                Doug

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I hope the $1000 off deal wasn't through those @#%$'s then...? I'd forward that email you sent to the company to Lexicon as well as mention to them that they didn't even reply. If Lexicon was my company I'd like to know what dealers of mine are jerks and not helping possible customers of mine.... Is the deal from another company?

If you're already going to be spending say $2000 + on the 5900 and were considering the 9000 that's about $3000 which sounds like about what you figure the RT-10 would cost..... I'd definately consider it. Does anyone know how they compare head to head? (I unfortuantely have not the funds to consider even looking at either model...lol) I have to imagine despite the 5900's awesome performance the RT-10 has to out do it. Looks like you've got some homework Lex

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                  Jason

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

oh, no, the 1K off deal is not there. I won't shop with those people period. Since they are basically custom installers anyway, not much chance we'll talk again.

The 1K off is a dealer trying to reduce inventory, he turned to the net.

He could know something that we don't, as in Lexicon maybe introducing an updated model at CES. Very possible. As in a model with DVI, etc...

I don't know that I want to spend that much, and when I considered the 5900, I had a price of 1600. Come to find out, that's vaporware, they don't even have them. According to the guy I talked to, there may be some problems with them, according to him, they've not seen one since. I don't know whether to believe him though. he's at soundpros.com

lex
                    Doug

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Lex, why do you want to upgrade anyhow? I'm assuming it's for slightly improved video and mostly SACD / DVD-A capabilities? From what I remember that Toshiba 9000 of yours got pretty nice reviews and has pretty darn good video correct? So you'll likely only notice a tiny improvement in video (even with upsampling/DVI). From what I've heard it's more like "oh...well that's a little better, I guess" than "wow, that's night and day!" I mean I assume with all that nice gear you've got :P (drool...) that you've got a little more disposable income than myself but I don't think you should throw it away either. I'm changing my vote to the Denon 2200 or 2900 (or something from Pioneer, Yamaha etc) for DVD-A / SACD capability. You never know some of the MSRP $1000 players might or might not meet the video performance of your Toshiba, but I'd be testing it for sure to see which is better. Then if you're still craving better video performance I'd invest in a video scaler which will bennefit more than just one source and will quite possibly outperform any of those upconverting DVD players anyway. So depending on what machine performs best on the video side you'll either have one player for movies and one for multi-channlel music or you'll be able to sell off your Toshiba. Then wait for a player that actually has everything you want. Maybe a nice true HD-DVD player with DVI/HDMI, SACD and DVD-A! :P

Just my 2 cents.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

I don't know Jason the Pioneer's and Toshiba's never score well on the Secret's shootouts esp when it comes to combing and chroma problems so I'd think any of the Denon's would be a nice step up in image quality...esp on a front projector as they'll be even more obvious.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Well there ya go! He could probably get the 2900 and a scaler which would improve the 2900's and the rest of his sources pictures and scale them all to his FP's native display resolution for about the same price as the 5900 and sell his Toshiba to recoup some $.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

My toshiba is not progressive scan, so it went by the wayside as soon as I went FP. Certainly I could try it with the DVDO I-scan I've got coming.

SACD and DVD Audio for me, are just not all that important really. I might say differently if I experienced them. But redbook can sound pretty good on my gear, and the selection is much broader.

My system is home theater first, straight audio second really. So, in the end, I'll do what gives me the best possible DVD picture and take whatever else features it gives me.

Lex
                            Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Best video would be from the 5900 using the DVI connection to your 2HD. As for SACD and DVD-A once you hear some well made titles in that format you might change your mind on them some what...when there's material you like it sounds very very good.

Comment

• KS
                                • Jun 2002

Hi Lex,
                                I'd say get the 5900 when they become available again. Denon sold three times what they expected to. I've had one for about a month and it's outstanding. I had the Lexicon in my system for a couple of days and it just didn't stack up. I know you like the brand but the 5900 is just flat out better. Picture is outstanding and the SACD/DVD-A performance is very good. I had a Sony XA777es in system while I had the Denon and the latter is 95% of the Sony. The picture via DVI is absolutely outstanding. The only caveat is that a few people are reporting problems with the Denon. John Beavers had two, both with problems, and there have been some issues with macroblocking although I haven't seen it. I did have an ISF calibration the day I purchased the 5900 so maybe that has something to do with it. Secrets has their test results published. All I can say is it's the best looking player I've seen.

Good luck whatever you do!
                                Ken

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Ken, is the 5900 not available right now? I wasn't aware of that, whether they sold out of available stock or recalled any due to the reported problems.

CHRIS
                                  Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• KS
                                    • Jun 2002

As far as I know they are sold out. One local dealer told me he had deposits for over twenty of them! I'm sure there will be plenty available in a week or two. From what I've heard there will be no changes as there have been no repeatable problems. Just some bad units, always the case I would assume.

Ken

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

Thanks for the tip Ken. As luck would have it, I'm giving the Samsung DVD-HD1000 a try. I'll report my results when it's landed. Hopefully it will touch down on Friday, and I'll be able to put it in my system that night. I hope.

If it's not what I want, then I may sell it and get back into something else, maybe the 5900 then. We'll see. )

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                      Doug

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"