X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Sony and Panasonic debt

Their debt has been reduced to JUNK bond status. Apparently both companies have big issues. A bit surprising to read really, of these two prior Japanese power houses. I guess now it's Samsung and LG that are the stars. A company that doesn't evolve with the marketplace can find themselves without.

Can they climb back to the top? I guess time will tell.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I hope so, since the quality and feature set of most Sony and Panasonic products are a cut above the rest.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Well I think Sony's quality and features have been lacking for quite a while, and Panasonic banked hard on inexpensive Plasma's years ago and haven't done much since.

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Here's an interesting read on Sony

For some people in Japan, Sony is already dead. The only question they have is how did Sony die, or who killed it, and how long will the spectre of Sony remain haunting Japan. It's a pessimistic view of the company but it's one reality in this island country.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Face
          • Mar 2007

Considering Sony's business practices, I'd be glad to see them go.
          SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

We are now living in sad times my friends , for me anyway.
            For years and years I have Installed both Sony and Panasonic products. I have felt Sony has always been a cut above the rest. They jumped into the LCD business after the plasma boom and I thought that was a mistake. Sony made excellent Plasma TV's. They also made the very best Tubes TV's.
            Their gear in cd players , Blu ray , Receivers have always been excellent for price to value. I always liked their stuff and had a home for their products here.
            Panasonic is the last sole IMO that make a top shelf plasma. IMO they make the best TV's except the Elite which doesn't compare due to it's higher price tag. Even so the VT models hold their own weight.

I sit and watch the world change , not for the better IMO. Companies keep dropping off , and quality goes down. Samsung and LG do not make better products then Sony and Panasonic IMO. But for some reason the general public prefer a cheaper crappier solution then buying a quality product.

So be it.

Comment

• dan87951
              • Nov 2005

I will never buy Sony again after my 60" XBR2 fiasco! Talking to the TV repair man about the issue and he said if Sony went under they would too, as "Sony's TV's are so poorly built its what keeps us in business." He did say he hardly ever works on Panasonic and Samsung. My blu-ray player is a panasonic and his been great for the past 2 years.
              dan87951
              audio guru

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Yeah Sony hasn't been top quality for quite a long while, not just TV's either their car audio and what not was HUGE in the late 80's and early 90's, but then they took cost saving steps and got rid of their ES line and started pumping out crap head units, along with crap speakers and so on. Seems like right around that time their TV's started to take a dive, might of been a bit later. I've owned several Sony TV's in the past but I'd never get one these days.

Comment

• HedgeHog
                  • Dec 2008

I agree that Sony has lost their ways. But the problem is the consumer's entitlement mentality (always the best for nothing) and the rate of technological advance. Why overpay for something that will be outdated in a year (ultra high end items notwithstanding).

Said to see this happening but when a manufacturer misreads the market, these things happen.

-H
                  Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                  Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                  B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                  Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                  Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

I really have mixed feelings. Sony has been around so long, I hate to see them fail. But then I have had quite a few Sony mis-fit products over the years. It's little things mostly. I do have 2 Sony TVs, one is a older 720p plasma. It has been solid. I can't say I am as fond of a 46" lcd I own. It looks pretty good once image comes up, but the set looks aweful when it first comes on, seeing very heavy bulb light from one part of panel over the rest. I do know it will be a throw away TV, I won't ever spend money on it. Let's face is, many TVs today are throw aways. I paid $1000.00 for my Samsung Plasma, would I spend 500 on it when it's 5 years old? Nope, I'll go look for it's equivilent of the day probably.

Panasonic though, I have had several great products over the years, and always had confidence in the brand. I have a Panasonic microwave that has been kicking for at least 25 years! That's amazing. I have had good luck with their toaster ovens as well. However, I can't say that I have bought much Panasonic the last decade anyway.
                    Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I love Panasonic honestly, they make a slew of great products. The only thing currently that I have from them are cordless phones and their cordless phones are the best consumer phones in my opinion. I'd be much more sad to see Panasonic go then Sony.

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Hdale85
                        I love Panasonic honestly, they make a slew of great products. The only thing currently that I have from them are cordless phones and their cordless phones are the best consumer phones in my opinion. I'd be much more sad to see Panasonic go then Sony.
                        Panasonic makes the best cordless home phones IN THE WORLD. Why? Because they are the only phone I've ever seen that allows me to create my own call block list. I keep three sets of Panasonic phones running just to maintain my call block list (so many telemarketers and other bothersome callers that they've filled two phone sets to capacity with blocked numbers and a third of the newest set--that's over 200 numbers).

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Yeah wouldn't be all that sad about Sony other than from a historic/sentimental perspective. Haven't been a big fan of theirs for a couple decades now.

Panny on the other hand makes tons of quality products. Heck even my electric shaver is made by them! We've also invested a fair bit in to their Micro 4:3 camera system that we absolutely love. SLR quality photos in a nice compact, portable package! If I was buying a TV today I'd be looking long and hard at one of their plasmas as well...
                          Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Exactly..... I think Sony Japan makes some amazing stuff, but over here they have been on a downward slope for many years. Panasonic has such a big market share of so many different products it's hard to believe they are having that big of a problem.

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

I'd imagine Panny has one or two divisions dragging it's overall down. I find it hard to believe the ENTIRE company is in that much trouble.

I think Sony's problem was they tried to race to the bottom while trying to cash in on their brand value. Can't have it both ways. I would imagine the PS3 (and I presume it's soon to be replacement) will buoy them a bit though. Isn't there one of those coming out soon?
                              Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

My big things with those two companies are my PS3 and all associated games (my PS3 is still my primary BD player, even after all these years) and I absolutely love Panny projectors.
                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Jason end of next year the new PS and Xbox will be out.

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Still a year away! Holy..
                                    Jason

Comment

• Face
                                      • Mar 2007

Sony supports RIAA, enough said.
                                      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

Because Sony is always so proud of their stuff, (higher prices) and on average, poor quality since they were "Japan electronics", I will say that Panasonic is my personal favorite of the two brands, except for PlayStation 3. I am not a big gamer, but I do like it and xbox 360 every once in a long while.
                                        Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

Well what Sony makes in Japan vs what they make in the US market are completely different. They have some VERY nice stuff in Japan. Panasonic certainly has much nicer quality products in their US market then Sony does though.

Comment

• impala454
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2007

Probably because people are willing to pay more over there. Just a guess.
                                            -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

Yeah, the american mentality on price to quality is quite skewed. It's why our cars have had such crappy interiors for so long. It's starting to slowly change.

Comment

• impala454
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2007

Is ours skewed or is theirs? It's all about point of view.
                                                -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

I would say ours, we are unwilling to pay for quality products, I mean I am but most Americans are not they are only looking for the cheapest possible solution to their needs. So I wouldn't say it's about point of view really, but it's certainly the reason it's hard for us to get some of the stuff that they can get over seas as it just doesn't sell here.

Comment

• impala454
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2007

Dougie, the problem is your definition of "cheap" or "quality" vs someone else's. It's most certainly a point of view. I may be not ok with a $8 pair of bottom tier jeans, fine with my $18 wrangler jeans, and then think that the $75 Levi's are too expensive. Someone else may consider the Levi's cheap garbage and me a hobo for even considering wranglers. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the exact Japanese people you refer to who are buying all this "quality" electronics are wearing $2 jeans made by some chinese kids.
                                                    -Chuck

Comment

• Lex
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Apr 2001

you can buy jeans for $8.00? LOL

I did buy some lounging pajama bottoms for 12 and 16.00 each recently, one was actually Polo though. I also bought a nice Izod windbreaker for $40.00, I mean really a nice lightweight shell. Got to take that back though, I think they forgot to give me my 25% discount. Hey, that's $10.00! I am pretty sure it should have applied too.

I think people are more and more unwilling to pay big prices for clothing. I have noticed stuff sitting at local stores until deep discounts take effect. I saw some Polo sweatshirts, $89.00 each! They just sat there. Finally, they cut them to $59.99, and then are running a friends and family sale with 25% off that. Now they will begin to sell as quality sweatshirts. I guess you can still get some at Target or Walmart for $9-12.00 though. That's not my style personally.
                                                      Doug

Comment

• aud19
                                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2003

Yeah...I consider myself to be a cheap SOB (ok...frugal) but $8 jeans is CHEAP :lol:
                                                        Jason

Comment

• impala454
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2007

Well ok, maybe not $8, but you know what I meant :P

During my year or so of dramatic weight loss I kept buying jeans at the Salvation Army Store, then redonating them back later. Saved me a ton of cash as I dropped from a size 50" to around 38". Still need to lose a couple more inches though.
                                                          -Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"