X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

My impressions of the Sony AW15

Hope this isn't considered spamming but I thought I'd put this here where it might generate more discussion than my original post did.

I spent about an hour "auditioning" the Sony earlier today. I was in a light controlled room and was left to my own devices (the sales guy installed the projector and handed over the remote, left the room and told me to call him when I needed him--not the kind of treatment one usually gets in a store these days).

The projector itself seemed well-built. I ran through a series of DVDs I'd brought along (I have a staple of discs I use to test for different things--colour, black and white, fast movement, lesser quality transfers, 4:3 mode). The projector was hooked up to a Sony Blu-Ray disc player (the first one they released) via HDMI. I did not tweak the image (except to select "Cinema" mode--I did not have my copy of DVE on hand and I did not have time to do major tweaking. I also think that if a display looks relatively good with one of the presets (like "Cinema"), it will look better once I have time to use DVE).

Impressions (all from out of the box settings, with Cinema mode selected, 11 feet from a 92 inch diagonal image--roughly proportional to distance/size I would use in my room, though my setup will be smaller [and, presumably, a bit brighter]):

Good Night and Good Luck looked very good. Unlike some reviewers, I did not notice any colour issues (no pink or green tinting, for example). The movie looked as good as it has on any display I've seen it (and I've looked at SXRD RPTVs, plasmas, LCD flat panel and DLP RPTV and front projectors with this disc).

Serenity also looked very good. Space scenes were black enough for me (I know LCD will never satisfy the "pure black" aficionados, but it was still very good). No hint of motion blur (not that I've ever seen it on an LCD front projector--even the four year old business PJ from my wife's office). Colours looked good. Shadow detail was much better than the business projectors I've had on hand.

Cars looked fantastic. Almost HD-like. Colours were great. No complaints there.

Lawrence of Arabia--not great. Appeared more VHS like than HD like. My release is a two disc edition that came in a case that resembles a hardcover book. It is not the first DVD release (I believe that one was not anamorphic and mine is) but there have been more recent ones. It's always looked good on my TV (but the image on my TV is a 29 inch widescreen 16:9, so flaws would be far harder to detect). It was not unwatchable, by any means, but it was not a showcase disc. I do not know if the player or the PJ had difficulty making it look better, but I was disappointed a bit. The BenQ W500's HQV REON processing might do a better job, but I can't seem to find one to try it out.

Guilty by Suspicion--unfortunately only available in 4:3 pan and scan. I use this film in a class I teach--otherwise I would not have purchased it. The PJ did not show any "bowing" of the image with this film (unlike some RPTVs I've tried with this and other 4:3 films) but, like Lawrence of Arabia, the PQ was not great.

On the subject of SDE--with the screen size and distance I was using, it could be seen on some bright scenes, but only if I looked for it. It was more apparent on the two films with a poorer PQ. It was also a bit present (though less so) on the black and white Good Night and... On Cars I had to stand about 6 feet or fewer from the screen to notice SDE to an unacceptable level. With Serenity, it was about 8-9 feet where SDE became bothersome.

Overall impression--very nice. Lens shift was generous horizontally (which is important to me--vertically it is quite flexible as well but that has less importance in my particular case). I've seen the Panasonic AX100 as well and the Sony is more impressive to me (except in light output, but in my room, that's not really an issue) and the Sony's retail is about 55% of the Panasonic's retail on this side of the border. So the Panny is right out owing to budget.

If only the W500 were readily available for the same kind of viewing I did with the Sony. If the Sony MSRP was the same (adjusting for the exchange rate) as it is in the States, I might have simply purchased the machine today. But the BenQ is 400$ less at MSRP and because of that, I'm still hesitant. The Z5 is even more expensive than the Sony (I've seen it for less, but that was a few months ago and lately, it is not so inexpensive).
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

Thanks for your impressions of this new projector.
    Here's another review as well:
    The AW15 has excellent contrast in Cinema mode, a long 1.6x zoom range and generous lens shift capability which means it can be easily installed in a variety of locations.

It definitely hits a good price point for 720p projectors.

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I'm about 95% decided on it. I'm giving myself another week to ten days to try and find a W500 (the new BenQ--my other finalist) that I can see and examine. It has a Silicon Optix REON chip which is very attractive as a feature but in every other measure that I've been able to research, the Sony is either equal or better. Besides, I figure if I never see the BenQ in action, I can't miss what I've never had (and the Sony was quite impressive).

Comment

• draganm
        • Jul 2005

$1300. for that THING? 8O Sounds crazy to me. I would be especially leary of the fact that it's a sony product and comes with this expected lamp life of "unknown" Lamp Life: No official quotation.
        A 720 bulb burner shouldn't cost more than $700. new. I just bought a brand new 1024 x 768 DLP for our lab classroom at work and that's how mcuh it cost. the W500 also seems like a much better way to go at $1k if your set on LCD and can live with the motorized Iris and 720 screen door. xx)

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by draganm
          $1300. for that THING? 8O Sounds crazy to me. I would be especially leary of the fact that it's a sony product and comes with this expected lamp life of "unknown" Lamp Life: No official quotation.
          A 720 bulb burner shouldn't cost more than $700. new. I just bought a brand new 1024 x 768 DLP for our lab classroom at work and that's how mcuh it cost. the W500 also seems like a much better way to go at $1k if your set on LCD and can live with the motorized Iris and 720 screen door. xx)
          I'll take "screen door" over "rainbows" any day of the week and twice on Sundays. And I'll take a 16:9 projector over a 4:3 one.

I also know (even from my limited time here) that you're "not fond" of Sony projectors--so excuse me if I take your view with a grain or two of salt.

I don't know where you get price quotations for projectors, but the number of 700$ 720p projector models available in the US is miniscule (and not one of them is a recent--last 6-9 months--release). 800$ starts becoming attainable for some (DLP only, as far as I can tell) and even then, the choices are limited to projectors with inflexible placement options. The BenQ retails at 1000$ US, but is seemingly rarer than a twelve-fingered piano player. It was, fleetingly, available in Canada at almost the same price, but now seems to be equally rare. The Sony street price in the US flirts with 1000$ (+/- 50$) which makes it competitive.

I'm not buying a 1080p projector (from ANY brand) so I'll "settle" for 720p. And my placement issues are such that lens shift is a MUST--so it's LCD for me. Panasonic and Sanyo are the other two options, but they are both quite a bit more expensive than either the Sony or the BenQ.

And as for Sony products, I own several (two TVs, a combo DVD/VHS player, a mini-disc home deck) and I've had no problems worth noting (only one problem at all, with the combo player, and it was promptly replaced with no issues since), so I'm not all that concerned. With BenQ, I have no experience and they are new to LCD projectors--so I would be a bit more concerned.

Comment

• draganm
            • Jul 2005

Well I think LCD has fewer pic quality problems than DLP too but the screen door is pretty bad, I can see it from 13 feet away. To be honest, there's nothing at the $1k price point in digital projection I consider acceptable for a home theatre. AFA sony, yeah I have a 15 year old Sony TV that's still running too but stuff they build today is in a different category.
            If you can accomodate a CRT, you might want to look into that as well. At least you'll know then what a great pic CAN look like. There's a couple of hobbyists in Quebec who are this list and willing to help newby's

Home Theater sales, calibration, service, and discussion forum. Hundreds of free manuals and setup tips!

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Screen door doesn't bother me as much as rainbows (easier for me to "ignore" a static thing than to ignore randomly appearing rainbows) and, at my screen size, I think it won't be a problem. Right now I'm using a 4:3 LCD 1024x768 in 16:9 mode (so it's resolution is a bit less, IIRC) and, because it has no lens shift, I have it mounted directly behind my chair and I've had to move my chair about 18 inches closer than it would normally be to the screen. If I stand where the chair would normally be, I can barely make out the SDE, so I imagine a 1280x720 16:9 from the same distance would be even less noticeable.

A CRT would be too big in my particular situation. I'm not making a true "theatre" as my room simply isn't that big. My screen size will probably be 65 inches diagonally initially (and perhaps 75-80 inches next year). I don't have the room for a 100+ inch diagonal screen. That said, a projector, even if only entry level, allows me a bigger picture than any other format at a fraction of the price. I'm no videophile (my particular "obsession" is on the audio side of the equation--I already have my current TV in a less than optimal position as it better accommodates optimal speaker placement for my hi-res audio MCH set up) and so while I can appreciate that there are options that would give me better, even much better, picture quality, none of them can give me the size/price ratio I have budgeted. Besides, this is my first foray into projectors (save the 4 or so weeks, scattered over a few months, with borrowed business projectors from my wife's office) and I'd rather "dip my toe" in the inexpensive end of the pool before committing to costlier, if better, options.

I'm still hesitating between the BenQ and the Sony, but I've managed to make price a non-issue, so the deciding factors remaining are the flexibility of placement and, perhaps, warranty. On both fronts, the Sony comes out ahead (each pj has the lens to one side of the "box", but at opposite sides--the Sony's lens would be closer to centre in the spot where it would sit in my room than the BenQ--I'm not sure the BenQ's lens shift would be sufficient to make up for the 8 inch difference in lens placement at the short distance from the screen it will be. Also, the BenQ's zoom is 1.2, while the Sony's is 1.6. Lastly, the Sony has a 2 year warranty vs 1 year for the BenQ (lamps are each 90 days, though). Decisions, decisions, decisions.).

One final thing in Sony's favour (as a personal thing for me) is that I've been able to see one in action. I've not found a BenQ dealer in the area (indeed, I can't seem to find ANY anywhere that are not online only) and I am hesitant about buying a display device sight unseen.

Comment

• draganm
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
                A CRT would be too big in my particular situation. I'm not making a true "theatre" as my room simply isn't that big. My screen size will probably be 65 inches diagonally initially (and perhaps 75-80 inches next year). I don't have the room for a 100+ inch diagonal screen. and so while I can appreciate that there are options that would give me better, even much better, picture quality, none of them can give me the size/price ratio I have budgeted.
                a CRT projector can project a screen as small as 4 feet wide , will easilly do 720P or higher, and can be had for about $1K with warranty (re-furbished). however, it sounds like your really set on the Sony LCD and it's probably not a terrible place to start (at least it's not an Infocus) Enjoy, hopefully you get a few good years out of it and then upgrade.
                BTW, I also enjoy hi end audio and I'm into vinyl (which is always expensive) but the HT has brought just as much nejoyment and a lot less frustration for me. Not only that but the family really likes it too :B

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by draganm
                  a CRT projector can project a screen as small as 4 feet wide , will easilly do 720P or higher, and can be had for about $1K with warranty (re-furbished). however, it sounds like your really set on the Sony LCD and it's probably not a terrible place to start (at least it's not an Infocus) Enjoy, hopefully you get a few good years out of it and then upgrade.
                  BTW, I also enjoy hi end audio and I'm into vinyl (which is always expensive) but the HT has brought just as much nejoyment and a lot less frustration for me. Not only that but the family really likes it too :B
                  Actually, I meant the projector would be too big (I presume it cannot be table mounted and my ceiling is a drop ceiling with acoustic panels--I did not want to start a major project to mount the projector). Unless, of course, CRT projectors are not nearly as big as I think they are.

I do agree the HT (as the current 32 inch CRT SD TV is the BIG TV in the house, the room is already the "theatre" room) brings joy to more people than my hi-res audio collection (for that, I'm on my own :lol: ).

Comment

• draganm
                    • Jul 2005

Actually, I meant the projector would be too big (I presume it cannot be table mounted ).
                    well sure you can, you simply invert the image by flipping a few connectors. I had my CRT on the floor for the first year of my HT but I don't really recomend it. Some people build nice coffee tables to cover them but it doesn't change the fact that this lawn-mower sized machine always occupies the best seat in the house.
                    and my ceiling is a drop ceiling with acoustic panels--I did not want to start a major project to mount the projector). Unless, of course, CRT projectors are not nearly as big as I think they are.
                    Drop ceilings aren't too bad, depends on the drop lenght. If it's a 6" drop or less then it's perfect because it hides the chassis and only the lenses poke out below the tiles.I helped a guy mount a little Dwin -500 CRT like this and it turned out really nice.

I do agree the HT (as the current 32 inch CRT SD TV is the BIG TV in the house, the room is already the "theatre" room) brings joy to more people than my hi-res audio collection (for that, I'm on my own :lol: ).
                    i'm actually having a hard time consolidating the Audio and video portions of my dual purporse room. Truth is it can't be done without some compromise . I noticed last night while testing a new sub-woofer that the real sweet spot for listening in my room, the place where the speakers REALLY disappear and sound-stage is perfect, is actually directly between the front and rear row of seats. I think I can squeeze a little more performance by going more in depth into room accousitcs than the basic panels and traps I have now but the fact remains that the perfect sound would require my 13 ' x 18' foot room (which curreently seats 6 people comfortably) to only have 2 chairs in it. :roll: sucks, wish I didn't like watching movies so much or had sofas that would move around and fold into the floor at the push of a button. :B
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

In my room, the primary chair is as close to centre of an ITU speaker (MCH) arrangement as space allows (I compensate for the difference with the speaker delay settings in the receiver--not ideal, but pretty close). I have some bass traps and an Onix R-DES EQ for the sub to smooth out response (I get pretty decent flat response, though its "sweet spot" is limited pretty much to my chair). My kids are too young to care, yet, about audio "sweet spots" and my wife simply doesn't care. To the right of my chair, along one of the longer walls, is a futon/couch where my wife typically lies down to watch a movie (her favourite position--I sit in the centred chair). The TV sits on a shelving unit I "liberated" from my wife's office (they got new furniture) and is set a fair bit above "ideal" height. It used to sit at the ideal height, but my centre channel speaker sat on top of the TV and was well out of the plane of the front L/R pair. With the new shelf, I now have all three front speakers at the same (ear level for the tweeter) level and MUCH better audio response. The temporary screen is on the same shelf, leaning (ever so slightly) on the TV--the effect is like sitting in the first third of the cinema rows--closer than I usually sit at the cinema, but not so bad as to induce neck strain or overpowering the peripheral vision. Again, not ideal, but I prefer compromising there than compromising my audio--and no one else cares either way. For the foreseeable future (at least until fall 2008 ), the screen (whether this one or another) will be placed where it is now when I use it. Next fall, we plan to move the upstairs TV into the basement kids room (with the accompanying enclosed TV furniture rack), the 32 inch CRT to the living room and the HT room will have ONLY the projector. At that point, I will likely get an HD DVR from my cable company, along with a bigger screen and a hi-def disc player (or two). Beyond that, I may upgrade the projector if/when necessary. For now, though, I'll simply enjoy the bigger picture.

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Took the plunge and placed the order a few minutes ago. Should have it end of this week or next (it's being shipped to my campus and I only get there once a week, so either this Thursday or next). Hope I made the right choice. Sheesh, buying a car is less complicated (actually, choosing a car--the buying part is a tad more work, I'll grant).

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"