X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Finally replaced the Sony VPL 400

After 7 years it was time to say goodbye to my first widescreen projector, the Sony VPL 400Q. Sadly it was a projector with a lot of poor Sony quality control issues. After 2 months of looking at a cluster of dead pixels in the center of the screen, I sent it in for service. My son worked at the AV Commercial operation as a service tech but the PJ had to be sent to Sony in Ontario as the entire optical block had to be replaced. When they did this they left off a part that controlled air flow and after another 3 months I ended up with a cracked lcd panel. Back to Sony. When it came back there was a lot of panel misalignment but I just said the hell with it. I replaced the original lamp a couple of years ago and after about 200 hours the blue polariser started showing signs of wear. My son bought it from me. Since he was a Sony tech he will be able to replace the blue plate and perhaps do anything else that may help restore the old girl to its earlier days of glory. I really can't complain. I got a good many hours of movie watching out of her but after I added the NEC HT1000 to my HT I just found it difficult to look at the lower resolution of the Sony, with its poor 100:1 contrast ratio. So I have been thinking about a replacement for over a year and finally decided on this:

YAMAHA LPX 510 lcd projector.

I demoed it alongside a Panasonic AE700 and the Yamaha was an easy choice. Even though the 700 claimed a contrast of 2000:1, the Yamaha with probably truer 1000:1 actually looked better. It doesn't have a dynamic iris like the Panny and I am glad because these things with moving parts are potential problems ahead. The Yamaha in Cinema Black mode drops the iris to its lowest setting and the fan slows down accordingly. In total silence the Yamaha fan can be heard but is not annoying and during a movie the noise disappears.

I considered other dlp models but only the Infocus 5700 with its 1024 x 576 panels ( same setting I use on the NEC in widescreen) was priced reasonably. I also wanted to get up into the 1280 x 720 class so I eventually decided to go the lcd route. It doesn't hurt to have an lcd PJ alongside a dlp projector. That way if guests are bothered by rainbows or whatnot, I can always fire up the lcd. Thing is, the Yamaha looks so good in Cinema Black that it comes close ( but not quite ) to my NEC Ht1000. I considered the new Sony HS51 but didn't like all the issues I've been reading about. Sony just doesn't get it when it comes to QC. I also considered the Infocus 5000 but couldn't find a local dealer where I could demo it. Doesn't matter, the Yamaha is one quality piece of equipment. John Cushman reviewed it in the July issue of WS Review and everything he stated was true. This projector does not need to be calibrated. Now I will have to toss a coin to see which PJ to fire up everytime I want to watch a movie . Not a bad problem to have.
    My Homepage!
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

Congrat's George - I too will join the fray one day.

Comment

• nparrotta
      • Jul 2004

Nec Ht1100?

Hi:

Enjoyed your note and have seen the Yamaha - it's a great projector. I'm in the process of buying a PJ as well. Can I ask why you didn't consider the NEC HT1100 - I've heard good things about it and I can probably get it for a decent price with the anamorphic lens? Just interested if you considered this one as well or were you just more interested in moving towards DLP?

Thanks,
      -nick

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Hi, Nick.
        I have two projectors in my theater. The NEC HT1000 ( same as the 1100) and now the Yamaha. The picture on the NEC dlp is still superior, but lcd has come a long way since I bought the old Sony back in 1997. I kinda like owning both technologies. Sort of like having the best of both worlds.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• ktaillon
          • Jun 2004

Did you get a chance to see the Sanyo Z2 or Z3? I did see the Yamaha on a demo and yes it was great but the price seems to be on the high side. I can't find the z2 or z3 to compare. Maybe the Yamaha is that much better.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

The Yamaha is definitely high end for an lcd projector. I really can't compare it to a Z2 or 3. The Yamaha offered certain things like the proper throw ratio ( it had to be set up on a shelf at the back of the room) excellent contrast and black levels for lcd, plus the ability to shift lens both horizontally and vertically. The lens shift function is also on the Sanyos, but I kept hearing things about dust blobs and poor lamp life with the Z2 .
            My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Sorry I missed this George! As I said in the other thread, that's one awesome FP! Congrats and enjoy :T
              Jason

Comment

• Bent
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2003

George, does the Yammy have a sealed light engine? (I understand there are similarities with some epsons, which apparently have sealed light engines - which sholued all but stop the appearance of dust blobs.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

I've heard that, Ben, but like my old Sony, it has a filter on the bottom of the projector that has to be cleaned every 100 hours or so. My NEC HT1000 has a sealed light engine and no filter. You just have to vacuum the air intake vents now and then. But there may be something to the Epson and Yamaha sealed light engine story. I have yet to hear of any dust problems with these two Pjs. And the Yamaha does use Epson lcd panels, and possibly even the entire light engine.One thing is good , though, apparently the Epson/Yamaha use glass polariser plates while other makes use plastic. Glass is supposed to extend the life of the polarisers, especially the blue plate that seems to degarde over time... a problem I certainly had with the Sony.

Regarding the dust blob problem,in the early Sony models, 400, HS 10 and 12, as well as the newer lcd Pjs, I have read about all kinds of dust blob problems, yet I have never encountered this problem with my Sony.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"