X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markjrho
    • Sep 2005

Does Denon Suck, or Do I Have Bad Luck

Back in the early 90's I had a Denon CD changer that I thought crapped out on me way sooner than I though it should have. Ok, its was probably just the changer mechanism, "no bid deal," I thought to myself.

So, about three years ago when I was looking for a DVD player, I finally selected the Denon 2910 DVD player which was noted for its CD playback as well as multi-channel capabilities in addition to quality video play. All was good....until two nights ago when I popped in a cd. It wouldn't read it. I tried four more cds and nothing. So I put in a DVD, bingo, it played perfectly. Went back to yet another CD and nothing. :M

So, what's the deal with Denon, they have ticked me off again, and I have no solution to this problem aside from sending it back to get it fixed. But for all the frustration and cost of shipping and fixing the thing, I may as well just look for a new dedicated cd player.

Any thoughts on Denon, and my dilemma overall?
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

I know that a lot of people "swear by" Denon, claiming performance makes value out of a high price and lot of others who "swear at" Denon for having incredibly arcane (difficult to navigate) menu systems and relatively frequent and costly breakdowns.

My 3910 was a beast to operate -- too many poorly documented "gotcha" settings that were required to get what should have been very straight forward functions to work, but were located in not-obvious places and sometimes functioned counter-intuitively -- and then, just after the warranty expired, the unit would not recognize CDs (sound familiar)?

Denon recommended that I send it to them for a $400 laser replacement, with no assurance that would actually fix the problem. I opted to spend that money on an OPPO universal player instead and have not regretted it. (I do regret wasting so much $$$$ on the Denon in the first place). The OPPO operates flawlessly -- "intuitively", sounds great on CDs and DVDs (and produces great picture too) and has long outlasted its warranty period without self destructing.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

If it's under warranty call them up and send it back.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

My own experiences have not been perfect, but pretty good. I'd buy from them again, if I was looking for an affordable consumer-grade product. FWIW, they really seem to be trying in the last few years to make some of their products better and more high-end.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• markjrho
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
          My own experiences have not been perfect, but pretty good. I'd buy from them again, if I was looking for an affordable consumer-grade product. FWIW, they really seem to be trying in the last few years to make some of their products better and more high-end.
          I understand your point, but after this I'm gun shy now, so I doubt that I'll be buying anything from them any time soon. It a shame because I like the sound that their products produce.

Dougie, the warranty is the first thing I checked, and its bee over two years so nothings happening there. I think i'm going to just get a dedicated cd player and use the Denon for DVDs as long as it continues to work.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I have a Denon 3801 Receiver that has performed well for me over the past few years. The original remote crapped out on me but everything else still works. I can't speak for the Denon CD or DVD players. The best DVD player I ever owned was the Sony DVP S7700, which now is used as a dedicated CD player. Would I buy another Denon ? Don't know. The only reason I bought the 3801 was due to the fact I could get it wholesale.
            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"