This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vsarathy
    • Oct 2003

Trouble Playing DTS 5.1 CDs with RSP-1098 and a CD Player with a Digital Out

I have a few DTS 5.1 CDs and was trying to play them with my Marantz CD player hooked up by coaxial digital connection to the RSP-1098. In this setting, with a digital input, the RSP-1098 ought to be able to detect the DTS bitstream and decode it. But, it does not and all I hear is a loud hiss from the speakers.

If I play the same DTS CDs with my Denon 1600, hooked up by an optical connection to the RSP-1098, it works fine.

The DTS CDs can be played back with any regular CD player with a digital out. My old Marantz SR-5000 reciever used to be able to handle the digital output from the same CD player. I wonder what I am missing in the settings which makes the RSP-1098 not recognize the digital output from the CD player as a DTS bitstream?

Thanks,
    Viji
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

That is odd. Is there any differences in the defualt decoding setting between CD and DVD?

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Viji:

In the 1098's setup for the Marantz, do you have it set to Coaxial? If not, this may be the reason it won't play. Just a thought.

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Eiffel
        • Aug 2003

I don't know if this will help, but I did manage to play DTS 5.1 44.1 kHz CDs on my RSX-1055 (I just downloaded one of the free samples from the internet, and played some back from my computer).

All the right information showed on display (44.1kHz with the DTS indicator lit).

I presume there might be something on the CD player which modifies the bits one way or the other (oversampling? resampling? digital volume? other sonic 'enhancement'?)

Comment

• vsarathy
          • Oct 2003

Jim, the coaxial digital connection is the only link between my CD player and RSP-1098. And, in the INPUT SETUP menu, for the source named "CD", the INPUT is set to "Coaxial 1". I am sure that this link is fine becuase when I play back "regular" CDs, everything works fine.

Eiffel, there is really no setup or bells and whistles to be adjusted in my CD player. It just reads the DTS disc and outputs a digital signal much as it does with other CDs. And, as I mentioned before it has worked in this mode with my Marantz Receiver.

Just for giggles and grins, I tried the following:
          Instead of assigning the coaxial #1 to the source "CD", I assigned it to the source named "Video 2". The purpose of this experiment was to check if RSP-1098, for some reason, decodes a DTS bitstream only when it comes from the sources named "Vidoe 1-5". Becuase, things seem to work OK with the DTS disc and my Denon 1600 which is assigned to "Video 1". The results were no different.

Has anyone tried playing back DTS CDs from a CD player with a 1098?

Thanks.
          Viji

Comment

• vsarathy
            • Oct 2003

That is odd. Is there any differences in the defualt decoding setting between CD and DVD?
            Andrew,
            The DEFAULT MODE for the CD source is set to PCM 2CH. The default mode for the DVD source is set to Dolby Pro Logic II. I did try setting the former to Dolby Pro Logic II. And, it doesn't make any difference. The other options in the DEFAULT MODE setting, namely, Dolby 3 Stereo, Music 1-4, DTS Neo etc, didn't work either.

Based on my understanding, when a Dolby Digital or DTS signal is fed to one of the inputs, the 1098 auto-detects it with no action or setting required. Is it not?

Viji

Comment

• Mark_C.
              • Jan 2003

I haven't played a DTS CD is a few years, but if I recall correctly, the source (CD) has to have the ability to pass the DTS signal to the 1098. In my instance, my regular CD player couldn't pass the DTS signal. I had to use my DVD player to pass DTS signal to my receiver for decoding.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"