Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Pretty Denon gear

Take a look at these!

• mwan
    • Nov 2000

Wow... but Andrew I can think of a thousand ways to spend 40K ( or even 13K) better...

Miles

Comment

• Jehan
      • Aug 2000

Wow, that is some sexy gear. Trevor?, Upgrade time?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Been there done that!

A lot of the "extreme" high-end Japanese gear LOOKS wonderful, but is sonically disappointing, I'm not sure why.

When Jon and I owned "The Boulder Sound Gallery", we were able to audition TONS of this "designer audio jewelry". Unfortunately most of the time it wasn't as good as most of the lesser priced high-end American gear. Meaning stuff like Levinson, Krell, Wadia, Jeff Roland Design, etc, etc.

There are some smaller Japanese companies like Stax, Audio Note, etc, that DO make gear that has astounding sound.

It's alway been curious that the huge companies can't make gear that sounds as good as the much smaller narrowly focused companies. Perhaps the "designed by committee" factor is the real issue

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• KennyG
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2000

I was just going to say, for recievers Denon makes nice stuff, but when it comes to seperates I don't know of any large japanese companies that come close to any of the american/ british companies...large of small...even at $40.000...but, they do look sweet. Just not 40 grand sweet

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
            • Aug 2000

I've actually seen these before. I saw the entire pictured system at a dotcom's house in Austin. He was a huge Denon before making it big, and had to own the set when his ship came in. He built a room around them separate from his house and ran them with a set of Sonus Faber Amati Homage's. Also had some grand sub; the name of which is lost to me. It sounded wonderful at the time. But I have little to compare it with being that I exist many pay levels down the foodchain. Must be nice.

Ken
            Ken

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"