X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LEVESQUE
    • Oct 2002

Denon DVD-5900... new king in town!

Just finishing playing for my new 5900 for 6 hours. All I can say is wow!

This thing is so HUGE it's even bigger in size then my Bryston 4BSST! Prepare your rack for a big piece of equipment, maybe 50% bigger then my Denon DVD-3800.

Nice box, with a Denon link cable and a Firewire cable both included.

So much tweaking, it's unbelievable. Cannot list all the tweaks in that unit, it would take 3 pages long... But everything is there, even chroma delay adjustment!

Because the DVI-D is not already activated (will be in 1 week or 2...), I have access only to the component video outputs. Sorry for all the DVD-3800 owners, but there is a new king in town! I've never seen an image so 3D like and I change my source every 6 months! Awesome black levels, details, no softness at all. All sharp and clear. The image is crisper and more sharp then the 3800. I don't believe it. What a nice surprise. Just imagine what the DVI upscaling will be able to produce and I'm drooling on my keyboard!

For DVD-A, it's a little bit in front of the 3800. For SACD, it's a good step-up in front of the 2900!

I think we finally have a really good DVD-A/SACD combo! Play boths format incredibly well.

I think that for once Denon did actually delivered the goods. The 5900 perform like a flagship unit.

I just used everything in the default settings. But know I will compare the source direct and multi settings with my Anthem DAC's and DSP. I still have to compare the sound when the Anthem is doing all the tweaks (source direct) and when it's the Denon controlling everything.

Wow. What a unit. Awesome value.

Beware Pioneer Elite and Marantz... there is a new king in town.

8) 8) 8)
    To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

No WAY, dude! I thought the 5900 hadn't shipped yet! You can't even begin to understand the consternation and anxiety you just caused in me. Right now the 5900 is my ideal player, but at $2000 MSRP it's quite a chunk. I'm jealous! ;h :B

How about redbook CD performance?

And I'm curious about your comment that the DVI will be activated in another 1-2 weeks. Do you know something we don't know that this is DEFINITELY going to happen? Up until now, activating the DVI seemed like one of those promised items that may happen or may just fall by the wayside on both the Denon and Marantz units.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• LEVESQUE
      • Oct 2002

Chris. Just go on AVS froums (sorry moderator...) because DenonJeff just confirm today that they received the ok to activate the DVI output, so the CD from Denon to activate it should be disponible in 1 week or 2 (DenonJeff did confirm this to me in private messaging).

The 5900 is out. I did use it to see 3 DVD today, and I did listen to 5 DVD-A and 2 SACD... It's here... Canada did receive it 2 weeks before the US... HEHEHE.

IT IS the ideal DVD-player. Go for it!
      To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
        • Jan 2002

Hang tight Chris! Maybe e-cost or clubmac will have one of these baby's in a few months at about $1000-$1200.

Congrats on the purchase levesque. Sounds like it's it!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• LEVESQUE
          • Oct 2002

I have paid 1400$ US for this baby, by the way...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Wow that's my dream machine ;x(

Comment

• LEVESQUE
              • Oct 2002

I just post some photos of the beast, if you want to see it side by side with the 3800.

Be careful not to drool on your keyboards gentlemen! :LOL:

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Holy crap, dude. You're right--that's a pretty massive player, especially for a single disc. I'm amazed at how many of these high-end components I'm looking at and/or buying (like the Parasound amps especially) are so DEEP, though. the height thing I can somewhat expect, but these things are really getting deep.

I'm still curious--how does the 5900 do at playing regular music CD's?????

CHRIS
                Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Alain, congratulations on the new 5900! That is a monster of a unit.

If you could answer three questions, I'd appreciate it.
                  1. 1) Does it have the chroma bug problem?
                    2) Does it allow scaling like the Panasonic RP-91?
                    3) How does it sound on Redbook CDs?

Just out of curiousity, what does it weigh?

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                    • Oct 2002

No David, it doesn't have the chroma bug. This beast tick the scale at 28 pounds...

For CD's, I hear a good improvement over my Denon DVD-3800. But this source is so revealing that a bad CD will sound like crap, and a weel recorded CD will be awesome.

the biggest difference for me tough is for DVD-A and SACD. I hear things I didn't notice that was there with the 3800. In 11 years of marriage, it,s the 1st time my wife sits with me to listen to a DVD-A, and actually hear an improvement. She told me that it was "like sitting in the middle of the group" (Blue Man Group DVD-A was playing), and that "all the instruments were sounding "naturals"" (I quote here textually)...

I didn't had time to play with regular CD'S, because I'm trying all my DVD-A and SACD before (I bought this player to enjoy those particularly...) Will keep you update when my DVD-A/SACD marathon will be over...

Men. I really feel like a child today, jumping all around and dancing around my new toy. My wife laughs at me, and my 11 month old daughter look at me with a funny smile... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Congratulations Levesgue!
                      I just realized this DVD Player was available.
                      I didn't realize it was available in Canada, since it did not appear on the Canadian Denon Website.
                      Curious as to what it cost you landed in CDN dollars.?
                      I am interested in the 5900 as it would be a perfect match with my Denon upgraded 5800. I would benifit from the Denon Link.
                      What receiver are you using and what is your video display?

Congrats once again!!!
                      ;x( ;x( ;x(

Trevor
                      My HomeTheater S.E.
                      Sonically Enhanced
                      C5
                      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                        • Oct 2002

I don't know if it's ok to post prices in here, so here it goes. I've paid 19**$ cdn (just fill replace the stars with any numbers...). And I was able to sell my Denon 3800 for 11**$ cdn...

But it was a special price from my dealer, because I bought all my furnitures and my electronics for my 2 houses from him. So probably really near the cost. It pays to favor 1 dealer only! And I will buy my upcoming PJ from him...

Just click on my profile button to know my equipment.

I bought the 5900 to pair it with an upcoming quality PJ, when my dedicated HT will be finished...

So I'm using a 40XBR800 and a Tosh 65HDX82 until then... Long wait...

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Thanks Levesque!
                          Your one lucky man!
                          Plus , yes it's Ok to share prices over the Forum.
                          You have the same speakers as I do , so I can understand how your system would sound!
                          Good Stuff!

Trevor
                          My HomeTheater S.E.
                          Sonically Enhanced
                          C5
                          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                            • Oct 2002

Trevor.

Wow! nice system you have there! 8O

If you can, you should try an in-house listening of the 5900, with the Denon link, it would be quite an experience! 8)

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                              • Jan 2002

Thumbs up! on the Toshiba 65HDX82

I couldn't appreciate this set until I got HDTV and my Denon 2900.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"