• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mats
    Special Member
    • Jun 2000

Denon dvd-2200 Review

Folks,

What better tonic on a Friday (and a snowy one at that....) than to be forced to sit at home and play with my new Christmas present, the delightful Denon 2200. This review is going to be audio-based; for hi-res, cd layer and dvd playback.

First off, this unit is feeding Rotel 1066/1075 combo and Paradigm Studio 80's, v2, all around. For interconnects to the 1066, I'm using KnuKonceptz silver-plated cables for multi-channel, and Audio Research digital coax for cd's and dvd playback. I've programmed my Home Theater Master mx-500 to take over duties for the Denon-provided remote (the mx-500 handled this transition quite well!).

Anyhoo. I have not even done a calibration on the speakers with respect to audio setup, that's going to be next... but I felt the unit was very, very adequate out of the box to come and tell you all about it! Listening material used to test out the 2200:

RS 500 sampler SACD: Dylan, Pink Floyd, The Who, Herbie Hancock, Norah Jones, Elton John, Billy Joel, Miles Davis, Aerosmith.
    Pink Floyd, DSOTM (SACD)
    Sting, Sacred Love (SACD)
    Fleetwood Mac, Rumours (DVD-A)
    Tchaikovsky, 1812 Overture, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra (DVD-A)
    Spyro Gyra, Original Cinema (Enhanced CD)
    LOTR; TTT, (DVD) - DTS EX

First off, the 2200 gives off good presence of bass in DVD-A, SACD, CD (Spyro) and of course some good depth in the TTT opening sequence (Gandolph's scene). The sound field of the high-res, multi-channel formats through this unit brings you out into an open recording studio. This was felt for Pink Floyd, Dylan and The Who. Overall sound was very punchy for all ranges of frequency. At all times with the player (in any format played) was 'better bang for your buck' with respect to volume and clarity over cd playback through my old Sony dvd player.

Comparing the SACD layer of "Time" from DSOTM to the cd layer was night-and-day. The soundstage is wide open in SACD and fully enveloping. Comparing the cd layer of this recording to hi-res multi is like comparing a Rodin sculpture to that drawing hanging up on your refrigerator that your son brings home from kindergarten.... just more dimension as your living room/home theater becomes three-dimensional.

Now I've auditioned the Denon 2900 in a B&M listening room through better gear (Krell and Thiel), but this unit in my living room with my gear, sounds just as full. Bass is there, clarity is there, punch is there. I've listened today in my living room at moderate to aggressive sound levels, and at both levels this delivers. I could tell you that watching / listening at night, I'm going to have to lower the volume down from where I used to with the old Sony!

The 2200, for the mid-level price that was paid ($500), is worth every cent and more... considering how it measures up to the 2900. I heard both in a listening room setting, I found scarcely a difference in performance. More importantly, in my home setting where I'm used to the acoustics and performance of my gear (and the old Sony playback), this is leaps an bounds above what I'm accustomed to.

Sorry this isn't the most technical review, but what do you expect when you have a post titled as it is?!?!? Thumbs up. Anyone out there wondering if they should they spend $180, $500 or even $1,000 on a universal player, they can spend in the middle range and walk away thrilled like I am today.

The unfortunate thing is that I'll soon have to pack this baby back up since it IS a Christmas present, and the GF is adamant that I open this up on the 25th.....
    Mats
    Mats Strömberg
    Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
    Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by valongi
    The unfortunate thing is that I'll soon have to pack this baby back up since it IS a Christmas present, and the GF is adamant that I open this up on the 25th.....
    ROFLMAO... good one. Okay, I'll give you a :banana: for the new toy and the good information so far, and a good swift kick in the nuts for having to pack it back up after all of that so you can unwrap it on Christmas. I'm sorry, dude! Do you have to act surprised, too?

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Mats
      Special Member
      • Jun 2000

Well, I have to take what I can get. Sadly enough, I will take joy in being giddy that morning. Who doesn't enjoy tearing open the wrapping paper, especially knowing what's inside?

What's best, I will have already test-driven this toy, and I'll have no issues in just "plugging-and-playing"! What's better than that! Hey, it's my girlfriend who has to take the time in gift-wrapping
      Mats
      Mats Strömberg
      Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
      Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

For the under-the-tree part, maybe you could cut a picture of the Denon out of a magazine (or print one off the internet), tape it to a brick and put THAT in the box, along with a "treasure hunt" note describing where to find the real item (safely tucked away in your system), :>) to be gift wrapped and opened for Christmas.

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Ah, but there is something very OK about knowing you've got something quite good to look forward to. Anticipation, but a know payoff, I guess.

Best wishes for your holiday enjoyment!

~Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• MICHAEL STRO
            • Oct 2003

I also have a 2200 on it's way for christmas( should be here today) of course it's a gift from my kids so i won't be able to enjoy it for a couple of days. I was wondering what was the sony player you were using? I have a sony dvp ns755v that will be going to the lower end system in the basement when the denon arrives.

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Michael, Valongi chose to leave the forum, so don't expect a reply from him. For that reason, I'm locking this thread.

I'd suggest starting a new thread about your questions to the general forum membership. Congrats on your 2200!

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"