X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merc
    • Nov 2000

SoundStream M1 Monoblock amps... Junk?

I bought a couple of these new for next to nothing to power my center rear EX channels. I will be using Mirage MBS-2 speakers(up to 125w) on these channels so power shouldn't be a problem. What do these amps sound like? Do they hiss, hum, buzz? Are they junk? Anyone have any experience with these amps?
    Thanks for your help!

Take Care,
    merc
    Take Care,
    merc
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

I am not familiar with them merc, but in general if they are pro amps, then you do get some fan noise. Some could be said to tend to the bright side for use as a speaker amp. (sub amp not an issue). I think it's something your just going to have to try, but I suspect the rear EX speaker will call for a tad bit warmer amp, (Rotel Parasound), but that's just a guess. I could be totally off base here.

Lex

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I don't personally have experience with these, but 2 of our members (Joey Millison & Bing Fung) are using these, and are quite pleased with their performance. Joey is using one his for a sub. This he purchased from one of our moderators (Andrew Pratt). Bing is using the single chassis model for his sub, and the 3 amp/chassis for his mains

The amp is identical to the Parasound monoblocks that Audio Adviser was selling. No they aren't "pro" amps. And no they aren't "junk". They appear well designed and well built. My understanding is that they are very quiet/clean during operation. They are likely perfect for your intended application

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

Ok, I know the amp now. Absolutely, looks to be a good piece. In fact, I almost bought Andrew's at one time.

Lex

Comment

• merc
          • Nov 2000

Thanks for the reasurance guys. I actually bought a new M2 (2 M1 monoblocks with a common faceplate) for my EX channels and a used DA-2 (350w X 2 into 4 ohms) for my subwoofers from a Soundstream company officer. The DA-2 hasn't been tested yet (my subs arrive next Tuesday) and the M2 doesn't arrive till Wed of next week. Since the MBS-2's are coming in from Canada and won't arrive till Thursday of next week, I've just gotta be patient.
          Thanks again!

Take Care,
          merc
          Take Care,
          merc

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Merc where in canada did you buy those from?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"