X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpOoNmAn
    • Sep 2003

Amps(Rotel) and dedicated circuits..

Some of this has to do with Rotel so I'll post this in here as well. I also posted this in the Home Theatre forum here....

I have 2 dedicated circuits running into my livingroom, a 15, and 20amp lines.

Now...I recently bought a BrickWall High Current surge protector from a member here. It is specifically for amplifiers and subs, and not to get too far off topic, but the thing definitely made a difference when I plugged my Rotel RMB-1075 into it. The TV, pre/pro, clr2500 center, cd, and dvd players are plugged into a Panamax 4300 which runs off the 20 amp line. But anyways...

I want more Brickwalls down the road, and the one I'm speaking of has 2 outlets. It is rated for 15 amps. I am getting the RB-1080 2 channel amp soon. Heres my question..

Can I put the 1075 and the 1080 on the same circuit(plugged into the Brickwall) without severely taxing it? I don't want to limit the amps current in anyway, so if there is the "slightest" chance that I'd be losing performance, then I simply won't do it.

The 1075 draws a max of 800 watts, and the 1080 I believe is around 550. Add the 2 up and thats about 1,400 watts. I understand that these figures represent the "Max" current draw, and NOT the average.

How do you convert the wattage they draw, into an Amperage #? I'd rather know how many amps they draw then wattage.

I will also need a seperate circuit for the Def tech 7001SC towers when they arrive. Those each pull a max of 8 amps, according to Chet from Def Tech.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how many Brickwalls I'll need and in what configuration.

One last thing.. There are no High Current Brickwall 2 outlet devices(the ones I want) that are rated for 20 amps, so I'm stuck with the 15 amp lines. If there was a 20 amp model with the 2 outlets, I wouldnt even be asking this question.

I apologize for the odd questions, Thanks for any advice!

-Aaron-

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
    GameTracker -My List-
  • SpOoNmAn
    • Sep 2003

Disregard this thread. They do indeed have a 20amp version.

GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• mml7
      • Jun 2002

If I remember my college physics right, P = V * A

(assuming that your electrical system averages 115V)
      1400 W = 115V * x A
      x = 12.2A

btw- make sure you connect the 20A Brickwall unit to your 20A line and the Panamax to your 15A one.

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
        • Sep 2003

Thanks for the amperage # mml7.

I will be getting rid of all Panamax from my theatre and replacing them will several BrickWall units. The Panamax are decent though, and will be put too use elsewhere in the house..computer, game room with xbox and seperate hdtv, and so on.

I will add several more dedicated circuits, all 20A to the room, as in the near future, all 7 speakers will have a built in sub, Def Tech style. Time to map out the room and see exactly what I need 8)

Ok, Swordfish is on Pause, gotta go finish the movie!

GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I have a panamax 5100 and I was wondering what you gained from the brick wall? Is it protection? or do you feel you can hear a significant difference with it?

What is their web address?
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• mml7
            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by sikoniko
            I have a panamax 5100 and I was wondering what you gained from the brick wall? Is it protection? or do you feel you can hear a significant difference with it?

The biggest difference between the two is that Brickwall units do not use MOVs - which are the sacrificial components of most surge supressors. MOVs, by their nature, will fail often without warning or notification by the surge supressor. This can lead to people believe that their components are being protected when they are not.

Brickwall's URL is http://www.brickwall.com

from the SurgeX web site:
            Metal Oxide Varistors (MOV's), the principal component(s) which divert incoming surge energy into EG conductors in virtually all Shunt Mode surge suppressors, exhibit a "fixed clamping voltage" characteristic, above which they rapidly change from virtual open circuits into low resistance conductors. For a transient surge duration of not more than a few milliseconds, the resulting power dissipation in MOV's can be tolerated. In the event of a continuous overvoltage condition of any significant duration however, MOV's rapidly heat up and then either permanently revert to their non-conductive state, or fail catastrophically with the attendant possibility of fire.

Irrespective of cost or manufacturer, the cumulative (sacrificial) effect of repeated surges over time will ultimately cause MOV's to fail one way or the other. Recent MOV-based surge suppressor devices made to Underwriters Laboratories (UL) 1449-2 (2nd ed.) specifications incorporate a fuse element which disconnects the power in the event of catastrophic MOV failure. Older MOV-based devices do not have this feature, however, and non-catastrophic MOV failure leaves the attached equipment completely unprotected, usually without the knowledge of the owner! To ensure continuously safe operation, MOV-based surge protection devices should be tested on a regular basis.

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by sikoniko

Well, I have the High Current 2 plug model that is specifically made for Amps and subs. Although right now, I have my 1075 and Pioneer HDTV plugged into it.

I will say this, everything seems lighter and quicker sounding, yet at the same time, low mids, and lows seem totally unconstricted and have a heft to them that wasn't there b4.

I had the 1075 plugged into the Panamax prior to this change and there was definitely a slight difference.

I will say this as well...and probably get laughed at..but the Brick Wall changed the pitcure on my tv a bit in some way. I need to pop in Video Essentials and run some comparisons. I was just reading a few weeks back how a filter/conditioner greatly affects a CRT projector or rear proj. set, but I scoffed and went to the next review. Well, it made a difference, and it seems pleasing on the eyes.

I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me, but I see what I see and I hear what I hear.

I listened to the same songs I use for Reference..the most noticable were some sings by Sarah Brightman, scattered amongst her Eden, la Luna, and Harem CD's...

The piano sounded more natural and a tad more airy, as if it was just floating along in the front of the room. I had my audio friends over and they noticed that certain voices, on good recordings, seemed more effortless as well.

For laughs, later that night I read some reviews at Brickwalls site..and what did some of the reviewers say?

That certain sounds seemed to have better rythem and pace, and overall more effortless. I was amazed at that because those were my exact impressions after a few hours of listening.

I am replacing all Panamax models with BrickWalls. They make a few different products, some for amps, others look like our Panamax units for an Audio Rack.

So to answer your question Sikoniko...I got it for the best protection possible, and am now pleasantly surprised as to what it did for overall sound in my room 8)

The BrickWalls will NOT fail, under any condition, simple as that. They dont cover connected equipment with $5million or anything. I guess they figure why bother when anything plugged into their devices will not be harmed?

The last few nights have been interesting here. I am still watching movies, listening to music and coming across very subtle differences. Looking at my Rotel amp and Pioneer HDTV, I have a feeling of total safety..

I don't have that feeling when I look at everything else on my audio rack :roll: No Offense to Panamax, but like the person above me stated, any device that uses MOV's is succeptible to problems, and over time, their ability to protect/condition/filter detirorates over time. They are no longer welcome in my theatre.

Read some of those reviews at BrickWall...very enlightening.

GameTracker -My List-

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"