X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Dissappointing, new vs old Aragon Amps

I am curious. What are the sonic differences between the new Palladium amps and the previous generation Palladium II amps? From what I tell spec wise, they are more or less identical in power ratings.
    Also, I have noticed that the new Aragon amps in general aren't nearly as heavy as the ones from the previous generation. I recall that the 8008x5 was a 100+ lb. behemoth and the new one "only" weighs 65lbs. What accounts for this weight differential? Have the new amps incorporated new technology to allows them to perform just as well as the older stuff but with less heft?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mondial

Administrator

posted 04-26-2002 05:16 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Mad Dog,
    Sonic differences are going to vary from system to system. Anyone that tells you otherwise isn't being totally honest with you.
    They are physically very different amps. The Palladium II is based on the 8008 and has more heat sink surface area, larger power supplies, uses more output transistors, and is available in either balanced or single ended. The original Palladium was balanced only, and had to be run with a true balanced preamplifier.

No "new technology" in the new amps. The biggest difference is the physical size of the modules themselves, and the configuration of the amp itself.

Adam Gershon
    Mondial Designs

This exchange, which I would have linked except that the way frames are used on their site hides URLs, says it all. From 105 lb. to 46 lb. (8008X5 to 2005, 5 ch. amp; both 200 w/ch) :roll:

Geez, folks. This makes me a little angry, when I think about it for very much. The new 2002, rated at 200 W/ch 8 ohms, weighs 10 lb. less than the Aragon 8002, rated 125 watts ch/8 ohms.

But hey, it's got an engraved front panel and blue LED's now! I just know that will make it sound better! After all, you can't hear heatsinks or transformrs in a photograph!

[/rant off].

Regards,

Jon - an 8008X3, Palladium MkII, 8008ST, and 8002 owner.

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Oh yeah, they are the same, I am sure. :roll:

Bummer. Was such a good solid amp by all accounts, why f@#$ with it!

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
      why f@#$ with it

I think the phrase you are looking for is "more profit". :x

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Yes, by cutting back on the heatsink (better lower the class A bias level), power transformers (who needs sub 4 ohm capability?), number of output devices (again, who needs linearity and sub 4 ohm capability?), Klipsch will show us how Mondial can be converted into a real money making proposition.

Now I understand why they discontinued the Acurus line, which was the lower cost, lighter weight, doesn't drive low impedance product. They didn't discontinue it, they built it into prettier chasis and renamed it Aragon.

In fairness, the new Palladium 1K and 8008 MkII appear to offer close to the same build quality as their predecessors- but the other amps in their new series are a totally different ball of wax, literally having less than half the weight, if you compare the 8008X5 (105 lb) to the 2005 (46 lb), you can see that the cheesing out on power supply is pretty serious. Even the 3005, rated 300w/ch, is only 64 lb. Less than the last generation stereo 8008BB, by 8 lb!

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Might have to look for me a good used Aragon to put back. Sure don't want a new one now.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"