X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

First Post

Just wanted to be first to post in the new forum. Hey Lex, are you getting any bucks for using the word "Mastercard?"

Now something related to the forum. Did you know you can lower your rate on all your cards? You just have to ask, also that annual fee can go as well. Again, just ask for it, and the low interest promo for 6 months, well at the end of 6 months, just ask for it to continue at that low rate. So there, some ways to save on interest. Oh yeah, don't rely on the answer that the first person on the phone give, move up to their manager and so on.

Another tip, ask for credit when you don't need it. You will find that when you actually need an increase in credit, a credit line, etc, you may be declined. Frustrating as hell, I know, I've been there.

If you have a line of credit, check the terms and the rate. Obviously try and get the lowest rate possible as well as an interest payment only LOC. If you ask for an increase, you may find you will get a lower rate.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Good tips Paul! Actually, sort of wonder if I should use Mastercard's name at all, ooops.

Yes, I too have gotten a lower rate by simply asking! Of course, the real key to the best rates is an A1 credit rating. When you have that, the lower rate cards come knocking on your door. My two that I am most pleased with are 9.9 and 7.9. It doesn't get much cheaper than that except for the promo entry deals. Of course the 7.9 deal started charging an annual fee. If I hadn't had a balance, I would have dropped them then and there!

Be careful on those promos! 2.9 for 6 months, then they bump you to 21% if your not careful!

Lex

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Ok, is this the "fun forum" that was brought up on the TTP? I can't imagine why one would have a credit card forum on a home theater site, except maybe since credit cards are so commonly used to buy HT toys?

As for me, I have a 0% interest rate on my Mastercard. What, you say? Zero percent? No interest? How is that possible?

Easy... I pay my balance off in full every month. No better way to avoid interest charges and keep the debt under control!

Heck, I'm not even sure what the actual APR rate is on my card, since I never pay interest.

So that's my one (and probably only) post in the CCF (why does that sound like a ProntoEdit configuration file??) Back to the TTP for me!

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
      My HT Site

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

Haha, Kevin. Your no fun at all!

How about the stories of refinancing cars to pay of HT CC bills guys? How about the one where you couldn't buy a new car because you were so far in debt on HT gear? Come on, we can surely do better than this.

Yes, I will give my own analysis soon enough, lol.
        This is a temporary forum, just felt like having a little fun with it

Lex

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

How about the stories of refinancing cars to pay of HT CC bills guys?
          I'm afraid I don't have any cool stories like that. In fact, of all the expensive hobbies I've had in my shady past (including computers, synthesizers, and home theater), the HT hobby has been mostly credit free. My HT hobby really took off after I got myself OUT of debt (and into a house as well ) and I've paid cash (check/debit card) for every piece of HT gear I've purchased in the past two years. Getting out of debt made home theater possible for me.

About the only thing I use my credit card for that's HT related is buying DVDs and CDs. And of course I pay it off in full every month. But then with a $500 limit (the key to staying out of debt) it's easy.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Kevin

Just wait until the bank ups your limit to $15,000.

Then you walk into the high-end salon, and the Mark Levinson amps start calling out YOUR name. :B

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Well I must admit thats one thing Kevin and I have in common then Thomas if you combined my wifes, mine and our joint cards all together we'd be close to that...of course there's a snow balls chance in hell she'd ever let me do what with anything but my own card and I'd still be on the couch! (good job our couch is a futon LOL)

Comment

• Pat
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

The only thing I financed in my HT was my TV.
                You have to luv 18 months no payment no interest!
                I took advantage of one of the Mitsubishi plans about 5 yrs ago.
                Oh yea...the tv was paid off about one month before the 23% interest was going to kick in:B

Pat's Page
                Pat's Page

Comment

• Lexman
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2000

It is good to use the interest free as long as you can. But ONLY when you know you can handle paying it off prior to the point it "converts". I made this mistake once or twice, but never again! I will hold my complete story til later, not enough time right now, lol.

Lex

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

Just wait until the bank ups your limit to $15,000.
                    I'm not holding my breath--I don't have enough income to qualify for that much credit. Besides, if they do raise the limit I call them and have them lower it again.
                    The only thing I financed in my HT was my TV.
                    I bought my 27" TV nine years ago when Sears offered something like 6 months no interest on its card. I probably used a credit card to buy my LD player back in '93 (back when I carried higher limits and lots of debt). But every component in my system purchased since then (including $1600 in speakers, a $2800 HDTV, DVD player, subwoofer, receiver, etc.) was purchased with cash. I don't do credit anymore--in fact, the only reason I even have the $500 limit card is in case I have to rent a car, since most places won't accept a debit card when renting a car. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have a credit card at all. My car is paid off and the only other debt I have is a mortgage.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"