How much credit do you have to build a HT?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

How much credit do you have to build a HT?

So how much credit do you have to purchase gear?

Now this should be the fun part. Take the credit
    limit on each of your cards, and line of credits and build a HT system out of your total available credit.

I'm gonna need a bit of time to post mine.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Oh, this is hard. Without calling to get all my available credit limites, I will say 40K. Of course, that doesn't include my line of credit at the Credit Union. Of course, I could remortgage the cars too. I figure I am good for 50K anyway. Hmmm, mortgage the house too, and I am up to say 150! Let's go shopping, lol.

Lex

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Hmmm...let's see here... Mastercard, $500 limit... I could get a DVD player, or a cheap 27" TV with that. :B

I guess if I were going to do an entire HT on credit (a foolish thing to do IMHO) I would have to refinance my house, take out an equity loan, or apply for another credit card.

My current HT was purchased entirely with cash (check/debit card). I only use my Credit card to buy DVDs.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
      My HT Site

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

My AMEX card has no limit. When you're have had one of their cards for decades, it's unlimited. But I suppose if I tried to buy a Ferrari it might bounce :B

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

My AMEX card has no limit.
          But you have to pay it off in full when the bill comes...

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

I could buy my FPTV, screen, ceiling mount, one 8008X3 amp, one more center channel and my rears...but I'm not going to let myself get sucked in! Just used it to buy Bridge on the River Kwai and Fantasia...that's as far as I go!

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Well, I've got about 30K worth on credit cards. I figure that should be enough for some B&W 802's and a Pioneer Pro710 and a DV-37.

Looks like Lex has got me beat. A remortgage on the house don't count, although an equity line of credit on the house is okay. Or if you can convice the banker that it's a home improvement loan, that's okay too.

AMEX cards don't count cause you gotta pay them back in a month. What's the fun in that?

Paul

Paul

Comment

• Lexman
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2000

Boy, that Kevin is a real kill joy on carrying balances, ey? lol.

Lex

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Boy, that Kevin is a real kill joy on carrying balances, ey? lol.
                  My wife won't let me get into debt again. In 1996 I had over $10K in CC debt plus a car loan, which was rapidly getting out of hand, especially since my income was quite a bit less than it is now. The minimum payment, and the interest charges, were both over $150 monthly, and I was paying close to $1000/month to try to get the balance down, but that doesn't work too well when I'm still putting stuff ON the card. I ended up cutting up all my credit cards in 1996 and started paying down the balances, and got a debit card for situations where plastic is handy (such as buying gas, etc.). Then, as we were planning our wedding and honeymoon in 1997, I came to discover that the car rental companies require a credit card in order to rent a car. So here I was, now I need one of those evil credit cards again, so I came up with the idea of getting one with a $500 limit so I can't get in over my head. She agreed to that, and I applied for one at my local bank (who actually uses MBNA for their cards). When I got the card, I promptly called them and had the limit reduced to $500, where it has stayed ever since (except one time when I went over, oops and they raised it to $1000, but I called them and had it lowered again after I paid it off).

My CC debt was fully paid off at the end of 1997, my car loan was paid off in August 1999 (I had to buy a car in '97, another long story!), and now I'm debt free except for a mortgage (which I don't really count as "debt that must get paid as fast as possible" since I got a great rate and the interest is tax deductible).

What's interesting, and here's where my HT comes in, is I hadn't purchased a audio or HT component from 1993 until the end of 1998. Every piece I bought from 1998 on has been with cash. My wife wouldn't let me do it any other way. There's nothing like buying a new toy knowing it's mine. It's all paid for, no bills to dampen the enjoyment of getting a new toy.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• P-Dub
                    Office Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

I'm surprised the MBNA didn't give you $10K in credit. I actually bought my equip with the store's don't pay for 6 month policy. And before the 6 months were up, I paid it all off in full. Mind you, during those months I had the cash sitting in a investment savings account.

I tell you those minimum payments and carring a balance is very tempting. Crap, sometimes I just want to go hog wild, but I'm pretty good at resiting. Take the Pronto deal. I could put it on the card, but I know I don't have the funds to pay for it and there's no way I want to carry a balance just so I can have a cool remote.

You lucky guys being able to deduct interest on your mortgage. I hear its only applicable to the first $100k?

Actually, regardless of how great a rate you have, the fast you pay off your mortgage the less you pay out in interest.

Paul

Paul

Comment

• Kevin P
                      • Aug 2000

I'm surprised the MBNA didn't give you $10K in credit.
                      My income, at best, barely qualifies me for $10K. The $500 limit was set by me, not MBNA anyway. I called them.
                      You lucky guys being able to deduct interest on your mortgage. I hear its only applicable to the first $100k?
                      $100K of interest? Never heard of that one. My mortgage is a 15 year so I won't be paying $100k in interest anyway.
                      Actually, regardless of how great a rate you have, the fast you pay off your mortgage the less you pay out in interest.
                      Technically that's true, but if you take a 6.25% rate mortgage, take the tax deduction into account (which makes the effective rate under 5%), I could take the money that could go into extra payments and invest it at a higher rate and come out ahead.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Lexman
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2000

Credit Card Forum is no more. Take it to A/V Chalet after these topics roll off. But feel free to explore the existing topics here. It's just the subject heading doesn't match now.

Thought we would try something different.

Lex

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"