X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Houston Area HT Interest Group Meet Mid-to-Late October 2002

Several of us who are "into HT" and who have been meeting off-and-on for several years in the Houston area are planning an HT meet for mid to late October in the Houston area.

We've tried several formats, and meeting at a vendor location for product demos (arranged with the vendor in advance of course), :> ) getting together at someone's house to audition their system, and sometimes just getting together at a centrally located restaurant for HT discussion have all worked well. In all cases, we have scheduled a Dutch-treat meal as part of the meet (usually lunch -- we've only had one evening meeting).

This time around we're thinking in terms of getting together on a Saturday at a Galleria-area or Greenway Plaza-area restaurant (centrally located for easy access from all parts of town) and holding forth with wide ranging discussion about any HT topics that are of interest to the people who show up. (Sometimes we are more structured, with a “guest speaker" who kicks off the discussion about a topic such as DVD authoring.)

A restaurant that has been popular for this, since it serves really good food, serves fine wine by the glass, will prepare separate checks, and takes American Express (and just about every other credit card know to mankind) :> ) and also has been willing to let us sit around and BS for three hours, :> is Shanghai River on Westheimer just east of Kirby. That is probably where we will meet up this time.

After the lunch discussion, some folks will probably go in smaller groups to at least one of the nearby DVD retail outlets or hit an HT store to see a particular piece of equipment that might come up in the discussion, but that isn't "scheduled" as part of the meet.

This would be open to about 20 people (about how many the "private party room" at the restaurant is set up to hold, but we've never had to turn anyone way -- if we have overflow, they can set up extra tables) :> ) and will be publicized on this and three other HT boards.

Does this kind of meet sound interesting to you folks in the Houston area? You can respond in this thread or via e-mail, if you prefer. I'll post more specific arrangements soon.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Burke, you know I'll be there. The only weekend that's bad for me is the 19-20th of October as my mother and sister will be visiting. Shanghai River is an excellent choice - General Tso's chicken, yum!

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'd luv to come but, I can't afford to. ops:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

OK, here are some details for the pending meet:

Date: Saturday, Octiber 26, 2002
        Time: 11 AM - ???
        2407 Westheimer Road
        Houston, TX 77098-1319
        (713) 528-5528

Please RSVP via e-mail at least a couple of days before the event if you definitely plan to attend so I can give the restaurant a semi-accurate headcount in advance of us descending on them. :> )

Burke

PS -- David -- since you've already said you plan to be there in at least two threads already, unless you advise otherwise, I'll count that as an RSVP. :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hey Burke, did I mention that I'll be there? :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"