X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nclay
    • Mar 2006

dvd hd upconvert

I went shopping for a new dvd player, and im seeing alot of the hd upconvert w/ hdmi output, can you really tell the diffrence between this and a regular dvd player using component output? Anyone useing HDTV OTA box in the sacramento area? how is the reception? Any box or indoor antenna you would reccommend?
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

there is a huge difference

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Yup, very noticeable difference. Recommended!
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• ekkoville
        • Aug 2004

Do you think there is also a difference in the new Sony 400 DVD changer with HDMI that upconverts? There must be some quality differences between players that upconvert. Seems like that would be a great benefit.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Just dont purchase one of the samsung ones!

Comment

• nclay
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ekkoville
            Do you think there is also a difference in the new Sony 400 DVD changer with HDMI that upconverts? There must be some quality differences between players that upconvert. Seems like that would be a great benefit.

oh man, i saw that 400 changer online at sonystyle, the disc explorer looks promising, no more loading dvd's or having that big binder of mine around would be nice. I wonder if you have to program the machine for each disc to get good results out of the on screen explorer.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I was wondering the same thing, i have an up convert Toshiba sitting in the closet that I havent used yet.

Maybe Ill hook it up tonight and do some comparing.
              B&W

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

i just purchased a new HDTV LCD yesterday and will probably be purchaseing the Oppo dvd player before too long as the one we have now sucks lol and i notice it on this tv but didnt on the old one. The LCD tv i got is a cheaper one a magnavox one the resolution on it is 1366x768 i was a little weary about it but its actually pretty nice and has a decent picture when it is calibrated. Thursday i'll have HDTV so have to see how it looks with that but i think when i get the oppo dvd player it'll look way better.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

can you really tell the diffrence between this and a regular dvd player using component output?
                  Saw no difference using my set. DVD doesn't hold a candle even upconverted to HD.

My friend has a plasma and also saw no difference. He really likes his Panasonic RP82.
                  Last edited by Shane Martin; 20 April 2006, 20:56 Thursday.

Comment

• Drewbert
                    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                    Saw no difference using my set. DVD doesn't hold a candle even upconverted to dvd.

My friend has a plasma and also saw no difference. He really likes his Panasonic RP82.
                    I totally agree with this..... from what I have seen the blacks and dark grays sometimes kick out weird.... dark purple and green for instance..... Im not a fan AT ALL
                    -Drew

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Well i have my computer hooked up to my LCD as well running its native resolution which is 1366x768 and playing dvd's through my computer looks better then playing them on my progressive scan dvd player?

Comment

• Shane Martin
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2001

It's entirely display dependent is what I've found. On my display, upscaling made zero difference. It's not a fixed panel device either which is largely where folks are seeing the difference. My TV doesn't convert the signal when it comes in via 480P either. Some non fixed panel sets convert to 540P or 1080I.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"