X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M.Roberts8
    • Jan 2006

OTA HDTV How are you guys getting it??

I am interested in getting an antenna set-up and would like some options on how you guys are feeding it to your projectors.
    I have a LCD TV in the bedroom with a built in tuner so I'm set there. As for my projector this is where my problem lies I need a tuner apparently these are becoming hard to come by? I have Directv tivo units but they are of the SD variety. I can't justify the monthly expense for the HD packages. Looking for a alternative way of getting my locals in HD.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

There is a website that you put your address or zip in and it recommends what kind of antenna to get. I can't remember the site but I'll try and find it.

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Yeah that place Thanks Lee!

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

No problem. I went there when I got my TV. My OTA HD delivers a far better picture than Time-Warner and football is here...
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• M.Roberts8
            • Jan 2006

Thanks for the link. I've been there it was helpful with types of antennas and what not but I'm looking for a tuner or set top box to feed the signal to my projector.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Ohhhhh, hmm I'm not sure if anyone is making OTA HD tuners anymore.

Comment

• Hberg
                • Apr 2008

Solution

Originally posted by M.Roberts8
                I am interested in getting an antenna set-up and would like some options on how you guys are feeding it to your projectors.
                I have a LCD TV in the bedroom with a built in tuner so I'm set there. As for my projector this is where my problem lies I need a tuner apparently these are becoming hard to come by? I have Directv tivo units but they are of the SD variety. I can't justify the monthly expense for the HD packages. Looking for a alternative way of getting my locals in HD.
                I have a Sim2 Projector in my Media/Theater Room. I have hooked up a Mac Mini to my system with an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid. I am now able to watch OTA HDTV on my 100" screen, and in addition, I am using the Mac Mini as my media center.
                "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

My TV has a built-in HD tuner , so all I needed was the right antenna. Don't any of the HT processors or receivers have buil in tuners? Calling all HT guys!
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

I don't know of any receivers that have a built in HD tuner.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Nope, you're just going to find tuners in TV's, satellite/cable boxes, and dedicated outboard tuner boxes.
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• littlesaint
                        • Jul 2007

You might try looking for a used Hughes HTL-HD DirecTV tuner. I use one as an ATSC tuner. Works perfectly.
                        Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by littlesaint
                          You might try looking for a used Hughes HTL-HD DirecTV tuner. I use one as an ATSC tuner. Works perfectly.
                          So you are using an old directv receiver as a HDTV tuner alone?
                          I've seen a few older HD directv receiver on ebay they have DVI outs which is no problem. I was wondering if that would work.

Comment

• littlesaint
                            • Jul 2007

So you are using an old directv receiver as a HDTV tuner alone?
                            I've seen a few older HD directv receiver on ebay they have DVI outs which is no problem. I was wondering if that would work.
                            I can't vouch for all of them, but the Hughes HTL-HD (and it's re-badged counterparts) has an option for no dish which turns it into just a cable and antenna tuner. I use mine during football season if the weather takes out my DirecTV.
                            Santino

Comment

• maseline_98
                              • Apr 2005

I was thinking about doing one of these as well(for a long time now). Any suggestion for rooftop ones? Would I have to go up and manually turn if I need to make an adjustment? If there a device that will turn it for me?

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                              Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by maseline_98
                                I was thinking about doing one of these as well(for a long time now). Any suggestion for rooftop ones? Would I have to go up and manually turn if I need to make an adjustment? If there a device that will turn it for me?
                                There are rotators that you can get so you don't have to manually adjust the ant every time you change the channel. Radio shack has them don't know how good they are though.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                  • Jan 2006

What do you guys think of this? Link Looks like it would work right? Never heard of the brand but the price isn't bad at all.

Comment

• Alaric
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

I think 1080P will require HDMI ? Also , Coby is some seriously low-end stuff.
                                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                    Schiit Modi 3
                                    Marantz CD5005
                                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• littlesaint
                                      • Jul 2007

Reviews tend to say that it works, but you get what you pay for as far as features and overall quality.

ATSC does not support 1080p as a standard. 1080i/720p is the max.
                                      Santino

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                        • Jan 2006

My PJ is 720p right now so not really worried about 1080p as of yet. I figured the coby stuff was pretty low end but I haven't found many alternatives. ebay had some samsung units that looked nice but they have been routinely going for over 150.00 which seems a little pricey to me for used gear.
                                        I may just wait for the HD Tivo units this winter. :huh:

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by littlesaint
                                          I can't vouch for all of them, but the Hughes HTL-HD (and it's re-badged counterparts) has an option for no dish which turns it into just a cable and antenna tuner. I use mine during football season if the weather takes out my DirecTV.
                                          Thanks for the tip. I just scored one of these on ebay for 28.00 + plus shipping. Now I just need to put up an antenna and I'll be all set. :T

Comment

• farazakan
                                            • Sep 2009

Thanks for the tip. I just scored one of these on ebay for 28.00 + plus shipping. Now I just need to put up an antenna and I'll be all set. :T
                                            Did u get it yet? Hows the result please give feedback..... :roll:

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                              • Jan 2006

I got it but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Need a antenna, have to mount it in my attic and run the cables yet. I'll post my results as soon as I get it up and going. Probably be a few weeks though...

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • May 2003

I used to have a big Yagi-style antenna with a rotator for fine tuning.
                                                I definitely would get a rotator even if you were going to set it up with a smaller antenna in your attic. Even though digital OTA is mostly all crisp and clear or nothing, I found that because I didn't have a direct line-of-sight I could often get a stronger signal moving the antenna and reflecting off of the local mountains, especially for digital stations that were farther away. :T

I would also be weary of the Coby unit, and make sure that you can return it without penalty if the quality is sub-standard. For some of these kinds of electronics the cheap products work just fine, but more commonly the cheapest stuff produces unacceptable quality, with noise and color issues.
                                                Still, I would not dismiss it out of hand.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                                  • Jan 2006

I ended up going with a hughes unit of of ebay. but ran out of time before winter hit. Probably won't get it up and going til spring. Unless I get real ambitious. Still need to get an antenna though...

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"