X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

A little experimentation goes a long way

I have two subs in my system, and though I have been relatively happy with how they had been located, I decided to try moving them around a bit. The sub up front was located between the center and right front speakers, and the rear sub was located on the back right wall, about a quarter way to the center. As I said, this seemed to be working okay, but I always had the feeling I was getting some cancellation in the push and pull between the two subs. So yesterday I tried moving the front sub to a quarter position up the front right wall. Well, all I can say is, WOW. In fact I had to do some recalibrating as the bass was just too overpowering. Now it is absolutely divine. End of experiment.

Has anyone else tried improving their bass by experimenting with placement ?

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I've heard sub placement is key, and proper placement can compensate for a lot of things that are commonly blamed on "the room"--humps, nulls, things like that.

I would experiment if I had more flexibility in my room in terms of places to put my sub. Instead, I have to settle for a corner placement and a BFD to tame the humps. :roll:

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

This is one of the things that I think all in this hobby can agree on. Sub placement usually takes work. And once you get the right spot, the rewards are flooring to say the least. And as Kevin stated, there are a lot of us that just don't have the room to play with it as much as we may like.

I'm glad that you found the time and patience, to reap the rewards you now enjoy. I think that the audio industry would be in a world of hurt if more people invested more time in there actual speaker placement and room treatment. Enjoy!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I had been aware of how important sub placement was. When I was using one sub I had it placed in the front right corner. Wow, what a BOOM. Trouble was it was too much of a boom. Voices were chesty and bass in general was over-pronounced. When I moved it to ther center position and mated it with a rear sub, I thought I had found Nirvana, but I later felt that although good, it should be better. That's when I tried the quarter way up the right wall. Now it just seems tighter, cleaner and right for the sweetspot.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

George,

I knew exactly what you meant. Maybe I did not explain well enough.

I too have thought that it was as good as it could get. Then oneday, just decided to attempt to tweak it a little more and like you, a new level of enjoyment was found.

Anyway, glad it worked out for ya!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Thanks, John. Got a feeling many others have done the same thing with the same results. Thing is, many are like Kevin who do not have the flexibilty to change things around.

Last night a tried out a few soundtracks with a lot of bass and it was like hearing them for the first time. Even in the old position, U571 would shake my pantleg and cause me some concern about the foundation, but when I played it last night, well, it scared the livin' heck outta me. I also played Star Wars Attack Of The Clones for the first time and the low end in that film is a real treat and a torture test for your system.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"