X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cngbrick
    • May 2009

Recommended on-wall build to match IB sub

Good day gents!

I have been lurking for some time and sorting through the many impressive build threads on this site. I'm impressed with the quality of the information and general tone of the discussions.

This said, I am looking for some recommendations for an on-wall build to replace my existing set up of Focal 836V fronts and SR-800V surrounds due to a need for more floor space to accommodate an expanding family!

My living room doubles as a home theater and is about 12.5 ft x 17 ft x 8 ft but the back left corner is taken up by a pantry of 6 ft x 3 ft as shown below:

I'm running an IB sub split into two floor mounted manifolds located at the front left and right (documented on the CotIB -- many thanks to Thomasw and the CotIB for assistance in that build ;x( ).

Due to my location (6h drive from audio shops), it is difficult for me to go and listen to decent quality speakers and thus my exposure to higher-end gear is limited. I must therefore rely somewhat on other people's listening impressions and design expertise to guide my decision on this project.

I can provide my impressions (at least the issues that annoyed me) on two speakers: my Focals and some Paradigm Studio 100 (4th gen?) that I auditioned at the time of my purchase. I had a chance to listen to these in a well treated room at a higher end dealer.

First the Studio 100: I felt there was a bit too much upper bass and the sound was a bit too "forward" for my taste. Sounded like a nice speaker for a party or room full of people but that is rarely my case.

After living with the 836V for some time I am finding that the tone (or timbre?) of male voices sounds off to me. Equalization helps a bit but then detracts from what I initially liked about these speakers. Placement in the room is somewhat tricky to avoid excessive bass and listener fatigue sets in on extended listening sessions, especially at moderately high spl (75 dB or so). Dialogue clarity in movies is also an issue sometimes (maybe due to phantom center?).

There are a few challenges in my installation:
    1.) Screen is about 90 inches wide leaving about 30 inches each side between walls and screen (boundary issues/BSC). I have a big CRT projector so not keen on altering that setup and acoustically transparent screen would cost me too many lumens.
    2.) Seating is near the pantry wall so the right surround is near a corner. On the side opposite there is a window so the left surround is mounted further back. This led me to pick bipolars as a compromise.

Guidelines/goals for project:
    1.) Component budget: about $800 for mains, surrounds TBD.
    2.) On-wall mount required, shallow box preferred but not at expense of SQ.
    3.) 80% movies/20% music, dialog clarity important, usually listen 20 dB below reference but occasionally like to crank it up.
    4.) IB sub takes care of bass.

So far I have been impressed with CJD's work (weird shape surrounds might work in my setup) but I also like the Nat P and Modula series. I am open to suggestions as well.

I have a Denon 3808ci receiver and a QSC RMX 2450 left over from the IB sub project if I need to drive a difficult load.

That basically sums up where I'm at for now. I hope this is not too long winded for a first post.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Richard,

We have nothing in an existing DIY on-wall design costing $800/pr that will compete with your $3000/pr Focal 836V.

It's probable that a on-wall with performance characteristics similar to the Focals could be created, but they aren't going to cost $800/pr since this will be a custom design.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cngbrick
      • May 2009

Thanks for replying.

I guess I should stress that on-wall design is a requirement; matching the Focals in SQ (not voicing) would be a bonus, but not a must. I understand that placement will not be optimal either, being close to the side walls (sound absorption is an option there).

I currently don't have the knowledge and testing equipment to get into a custom design at this point, although this will likely change with time. I can be flexible on budget if there are completed designs out there that would come closer to the performance of the Focals. However, with the IB sub I have less need for the low end extension of the Focals.

I am basically going to select from one of the current on-wall designs on this site. If someone can point out to me which design will be the best fit for my situation that will be greatly appreciated. I also got the question out in case anyone was expecting to release a new on-wall design in the near future.

So, is there an on-wall that particularly stands out for me?

Can the performance of the existing designs be compared (in terms of voicing, SQ) to commercial offerings so that someone could get a general idea of sound?

Thanks again,

Richard

Comment

• cngbrick
        • May 2009

Ok, after going through a few build threads again, I am tempted to try my hand with the Modula NeoD CC.

From what I understand, the NeoD CC can be used in a vertical or horizontal orientation with the same crossover design. That would suit my installation requirements around the projection screen.

The in-wall crossover design also looks like it can be used for an on-wall setup. Has anyone built this version of the crossover yet?

Are there any obvious reasons I'm missing that would be against using the NeoD CC in my setup?

Are the Modula MT's (on-wall crossover option) considered a good match as a surround for the NeoD CCs?

Cheers,

Richard

(BTW: I ordered Speaker Building 201 and the Speaker Cookbook to catch up on the basics of speaker building and design.)
        Last edited by cngbrick; 25 March 2011, 15:40 Friday.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I would have recommended the NeoD CC, but unfortunately the tweeters used in it have been discontinued and we haven't found a suitable replacement.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cngbrick
            • May 2009

Originally posted by ThomasW
            I would have recommended the NeoD CC, but unfortunately the tweeters used in it have been discontinued and we haven't found a suitable replacement.
            It looks like the tweeters pop up once in a while. I have seen some that were from the M&K liquidation. Is it safe to assume that if the tweeter is marked as a Vifa D26NC55-06 with no other OEM markings that it is suitable for the NeoD CC?

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

They would probably work unless something specific was done to the design for M&K.

Thing is these speakers are $pendy speakers to build.

Given the overall cost of the speaker I'd want 3 or more spare tweeters were I going to build 1 speaker.

All the other parts are readily available and will be available for quite a while. The tweeters are scarce and getting more scarce everyday. So it's a questionable investment to build this speaker unless one has a supply of spare tweeters.

Note this isn't to say the design is hard on tweeters it's not. It's just that if one accidentally cooks a tweeter (amp in receiver happens to die) or someone jabs their finger damaging the dome, and there are no replacement units around, you have a $500 paperweight.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• fbov
                • Jun 2008

Richard,

We have nothing in an existing DIY on-wall design costing $800/pr that will compete with your $3000/pr Focal 836V....
                I saw this and scratched my head for a bit... there are many existing on-wall designs, and $800 is about what I spent on mine, stand alone NatPs + in-wall Modula MTM CC sitting sideways.

With a sub in an HT application, I find MTMs a real sweet spot in cost vs. performance.

And Thomas, you were right about the sideways NatP CC; the Modula may or may not measure better, but the improvement in dialog clarity was not subtle, even if it costs as much as a pair of NatP's.

Have fun,
                Frank

Comment

• cngbrick
                  • May 2009

It's just that if one accidentally cooks a tweeter (amp in receiver happens to die) or someone jabs their finger damaging the dome, and there are no replacement units around, you have a $500 paperweight.
                  I can imagine the tweeter would get toasty pretty quick with rail voltage applied right across 8O .

With regards to physical damage: can the crossover be tweaked to account for a protective grille? The user manuals for my Focals and Mordaunt-Shorts both claim the speakers are designed to work with the grilles in place.

In any case, I will definitely need some form of protection with kids in the house (I clearly remember poking some knitting needles in my dad's 12" paper cones as a toddler. They didn't offer much resistance... ops: The horn tweeters were inherently better protected.)

Comment

• Silver1omo
                    • Sep 2010

I believe the In Khan Neatos have an on wall XO.
                    Ivan.
                    My Statement monitors

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

A wire mesh grill wouldn't require a crossover change.

Years ago Audax/Polydax sold aftermarket tweeter grills. Audax is long gone, I don't know if there are other suppliers of aftermarket grills

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• cngbrick
                        • May 2009

The Nat P and In Khan Neatos are what got me thinking about this project. In fact, if I had known about this site before I bought my current speakers I may have gone the DIY route instead.

I like what CJD did with his odd shaped surrounds as I currently have a compromised seating arrangement as well (couch against wall). I will explore options to fit in some Modula MTs if the NeoD CCs come together.

Comment

• cngbrick
                          • May 2009

Well, it sounds like I have a lead on 6 Vifa D26NC55-06 tweeters. Assuming they're in good shape I'll have the option of pursuing NeoD CC LCRs. In the mean time my books came in so I have a lot of reading to do.

Comment

• cngbrick
                            • May 2009

Well these little guys just showed up:

They have the yellow/gold heatsinks:

Part number looks right:

I hooked them up to my laptop headphone port and ran some warble tones from 2.5 to 20 kHz just to see if they were alive. Funny thing is there's no sound above 18 kHz... :W (the price to pay for that metal worling hobby of mine and the ignorance of youth :lol: ).

Apart from that, is there any quality check I should perform to make sure these are working to their full potential and not from the reject pile? I'd hate to start the project and find out these are duds.

Cheers,

Richard

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"