X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newbiegram
    • Oct 2007

looking for integrated amp to drive my xT4's

Hi folks, Am new to this forum and have a question. I recently purchased a pair of B&W XT4's. I am now looking for an amplifier to go with it. Was looking at an integrated amplifier as looks are very important as well.

Was considering a Krell KAV-400xi or am open to other suggestions that will bringout the best in the speakers plus adhere to the "looks" need. A pre-amp/power amp combo may also be an option.

Thanks in advance
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Check into the Classe' CAP-2100.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

I second the Classe route if budget allows. Rotel is also a great match, at a great price. The list is endless, but for those speakers you want 100W minimum
      200W would be Ideal. I owned them for a year, and they loved the 200W classe.
      Greg

Comment

• newbiegram
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the responses RebelMan and GregLett. The Classe is unfortunately out of my budget. Choices are down to RC 1070/RB 1080 combo or a Krell KAV-400xi. Any pointers as to which way to go? Thanks again

Comment

• GregLett
          • May 2005

Originally posted by newbiegram
          Thanks for the responses RebelMan and GregLett. The Classe is unfortunately out of my budget. Choices are down to RC 1070/RB 1080 combo or a Krell KAV-400xi. Any pointers as to which way to go? Thanks again
          Absolutely go for the RC 1070/ RB 1080 combo. I think that's the best for your budget. Also going that route will afford you the opportunity to upgrade the amp at a later date. My first setup was all Rotel and it was a great start!
          Greg

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Another high quality choice to consider is the Bryston B-100 SST Integrated Amplifier, which is said to be one of the most sonically transparent and reliable audio products available (20 year warranty). At its base level, it is roughly in the same price range as the Krell KAV-400xi, and it offers refinement and performance levels equal to more expensive separate audio components. You'll have to judge for yourself if you like its looks. (I do.) It also has a programmable pass-through feature. For more information: http://www.bryston.ca/b100sst_m.html Sterophile review (model with built in DAC option): http://www.bryston.ca/pdfs/07/34628_eprint.pdf

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• newbiegram
              • Oct 2007

Thanks for the info Burke, I appreciate it!

Comment

• Alloroc
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Hi Gram,

What's are your source component(s)?

In that price bracket, there's huge choice available to you...
                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

nice Bryston Burke...

I think this is really an audio section post in the future, but I know he was new here...
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• NonSense
                    • Nov 2003

I always liked the Musical Fidelity, A5 Integrated (both in performance and styling). It should also be in your price range (new or used). I think it would look great with the XT4's.
                    Bruce

Comment

• newbiegram
                      • Oct 2007

Vincent, All I have are the speakers and am trying to build a system from that. With the amp/pre-amp figured out, I will initially play from my iPOD and laptop until I can buy a CD player.

Lex, Noted. i will not start another audio thread here after this one

Bruce, Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• Alloroc
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005

Cool.

The A5 was already mentioned - that would be on my list.... Or the A3.5 if the budget did not stretch.

Another great amp at that price point would be the Arcam FMJ A32. There are myriad upgrade options too.

Then there is the classy Primare I30. Simple, well built and sounds great.

Final suggestion for now is the Creek Destiny Series integrated amp. I used have some Creek back in the early 90's and loved them.

Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• jack667
                          • Jul 2007

Primare make great products, since Mike Bladelius was involved with a lot of their stuff. I would definitely put Arcam and Primare on your audition list.

Also, Unison Research make some great products, so definitely worth a look.

One other amp to consider is AVI integrated - 175w per channel... sounds great!

B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• Bob Santos
                            • Mar 2001

As others have mentioned the Musical Fiedelity integrated's are very nice. Definately worth a listen. I was listening to the A5 with some 803s's today. Great combo.

Comment

• newbiegram
                              • Oct 2007

Vincent, Jack677, Bob Santos, Thanks for the additional suggestions. I took the plunge and got a the RB 1080, RC 1082 and RCD 1072. Still getting used to it but enjoying it.

I want to thanks all the members here who gave generously of their time to help me out!

Comment

• george_k
                                • Jan 2004

Might want to consider a Simaudio I-1 as well:

Comment

• f77
                                  • Jan 2008

MF a3.5 / a5 or thule are among the best i've heard with b&w.

I Think Arcam/Primare would be underpowered. Rotel+b&w is overrated, I've owned a few combinations of those brands.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"