X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Triggers!?

Could someone explain about "12 volt triggers" what it does and how important it might be for a purchase decision? I know I lack knowledge but it's why I'm here.

Thanks!

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

• brucek
    HTG Expert
    • Aug 2000

UC,

Generally, triggers are used to turn on power amplifiers whenever your preamp or processor is turned on. This is a simple convenience so you don't have to get up and press the power on switch on your power amp(s) when you switch on your processor with a remote. Some processors have both an "always on" and a programmable trigger output, such that it is on or off depending on the source you have selected. This, for example, allows you to have your mains amp always power up, but your rear and center amps power off when you want two channel for CD.

12 volts DC has become a bit of a standard, but it would be wise to check that the power amp and processor you are considering have compatible triggers. The processor will usually supply a 12vDC trigger that can source up to a spec'd current capability.

Usually the power amp trigger input won't draw much current, so this isn't really an issue unless you're trying to trigger many multiple devices. Some power amps will accept a wide range of trigger types. My amps will accept AC or DC triggers from 4 to 12volts. Some will only accept a 12volt DC trigger.

The usual problem with triggers isn't their voltage, but the connector types. Every manufacturer has their own way of doing it. Some use bare wire terminals, some use mini plugs etc. This isn't anything to deter you from purchasing a particular unit though. You can always adapt to any connector type. Since there is very little current drawn, the wire type isn't significant - any hookup wire will suffice..

Most amps and processors have the trigger specs listed in their on line manuals.....

brucek

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

The 12 volt triggers allow separate components to be switched on together, rather than having to use separate remote commands to turn them on individually. Or, in the case of components like a power amp lacking a remote (but including a 12 volt trigger), it avoids having to manually switch the amp on and off every time you use the system.

It is an operating convenience which makes control of the system more "user friendly", but if you are someone who leaves their power amp(s) on 24/7, it would be of no use to you for the amp(s).

One thing to watch out for is the signal power rating of the triggers -- some pre/pros have 12 volt trigger outputs that send a signal too weak to trip the trigger on the other component(s). (The user manuals on the manufacturers' web sites should have information about the specs for their units.)

Good luck!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

How's that Clive? 2 good answers within 3 minutes of each other. Burke's tend to take a little longer as he's generally quite wordy, lol. That's why he didn't know it had been answered pretty well. It's a timing thing.

I would guess that Burke read your message and pressed reply to, then Bruce hit post of his message that was typed.

Here I always thought Trigger was the Lone Ranger's hoss. :LOL: I am happy to hear what Trigger really is. Neheheheh.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Steve Goff
          • Feb 2002

Triggers can also be used in other situations. For instance, a video processor may have a trigger to bring down a screen for a front projector, or a trigger that can be programmed to work when the video processor changes aspect ratios, so as to change the masking on a variable-aspect-ratio screen.

Steve Goff
          Steve Goff

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Great point Steve.

On a more serious note, I use triggers from my Lexicon MC-1 to trigger both a Panamax unit, and 2 proceed amps.

Lex triggers Panamax, Panamax triggers amp1, and amp1 triggers amp2. Actually, i may have the MC-1 trigger split, going to amp1 and panamax. Just can't recall.

I tried to trigger my Parasound 1500A in this sequence, but I just can't get that one to work. I don't know why. Maybe it's 5 volt, instead of 12...

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Uncle Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

Thanks guys, that info is worth a lot. I will be sure to question this feature when purchasing. Wow, thanks alot guys!!

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Trigger? Wasn't that Roy Roger's horse?

Earth First!
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"