X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac81017
    • Aug 2006

I need new power amps!!

Hello,
    I´m going to buy a pair of 805s, but I need to upgrade by adding on two power amps! I have a Sony strdb 1070 QS surround amp! YES YES, have a good laugh!

oke:

Soooo, I won´t have much money at all after I´ve bought the 805s unless I wait a few years! what I can afford is a pair of Vincent SP-996 or 997´s!

Does anyone know anything about these power amps? they look really nice, and they´re very cheap, which might not always be a bad thing! 805s are cheap for being a high-end speaker!!

Qusetion is, does anyone know of a good cheap power amp? If I wait a year after I´ve bought the 805s then i could buy a rotel 1070?
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I have never heard of the Vincents, but when you say cheap, what price point did you have in mind? You can pick up a pre-owned Classe CA-101 for around $600 to $700 that would be wonderful on those speakers.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• ac81017
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Soundgravy
      I have never heard of the Vincents, but when you say cheap, what price point did you have in mind? You can pick up a pre-owned Classe CA-101 for around $600 to $700 that would be wonderful on those speakers.

Here´s a link for you to check out.

I checked out the Classe, very nice amp!

sorry i forgot to say my price range, which is 700-800$

the vincent cost 299$ each and I´ll need two, one for each speaker

The 805s are rated 120watts 8ohms, the vincent do two models, one is 125watts and the other 150watts, I was thinking that the 125 watts would be perfect?

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I agree with soundgravy - go with the used classe.

This is very very simplistic but l looking at apparantly solid state Vincent's specs for distortion:

Total harmonic distortion: < 0.1 % max. (1 kHz, 1 Watt)

compared to say a Rotel 1070
        Total harmonic distortion 0.03% max (20-20,000hz at 1watt, 1/2 power and full rated power)......and knowing Rotel that is conservative.

Its only one spec but maybe it gives an idea why it is so inexpensive. 805 deserve the very best, and if you can afford that via a second hand Classe then go for it. Power amps go on and on and on.

Otherwise why spend the dollars on an 805s only to feed it budget electronics UNLESS it is only a very short term solution, in which case the Classe is definitely the wiser choice because resale would have to be far far better - in fact you would probably get what you paid in the first place.

Of course if the Vincent brings tears to you eyes (for the right reasons) then buy it will bells on and tell me where I can put my snobby hifi opinion. :W
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Nah, forget that last bit.......just buy the Classe......heaps more cred on this site and with your mates. I for one would be jealous !!!!!!!

Can't do that with a Vincent.
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Grasynoll
            • Mar 2006

The NAD C272 is a clean, powerful amp right in that price range.

Comment

• ac81017
              • Aug 2006

Hmmmm, I see what you mean, but it´s very hard to a Classe secondhand here in Sweden! I´ve also looked on ebay, and there I found the 101 power amp! so it´s not impossible. I´ll keep my eyes open.

But I would like other options, like the nad c272?? A rotel or something else?

An idoit at work offered me a Bose power amp, he said that I won´t find anything better or as powerful!

The next day, I gave him a REAL hifi mag with reviews of the 803D and the latest from Classe!

He´s got a new nickname from me and a few other hifi neards, we call him Bose-o

Comment

• tboooe
                • Jun 2005

What about a Parasound Halo a21..I had this with my 805S and i much preferred it over the my Rotel 1080. The A21 is a great amp, smooth, slightly warm, sexy looks and it can be had used in the US for $1000.

Comment

• chinets
                  • Jun 2005

Hmmm!!! Power and Price??? ROTEL is the way to go!
                  QUALITY and POWER and reliability!!!! for Music and HT !!!
                  Keep us posted!!
                  Cheers

Comment

• RobP
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ac81017
                    An idoit at work offered me a Bose power amp, he said that I won´t find anything better or as powerful!

The next day, I gave him a REAL hifi mag with reviews of the 803D and the latest from Classe!

:rofl: :roflmao:
                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Ted
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by ac81017
                      Hmmmm, I see what you mean, but it´s very hard to a Classe secondhand here in Sweden! I´ve also looked on ebay, and there I found the 101 power amp! so it´s not impossible. I´ll keep my eyes open.

But I would like other options, like the nad c272?? A rotel or something else?

Bose-o :loser: I love it!

While I'm pretty new to all of this, I've had good luck with Rotel. I've only really compared it to Classe, which is great, but out of my league, but I really like it (the Rotel I mean). I'd try to fight temptation to buy now and try to save up until you can get something better than the Vincents. If you save the $600 from the two Vincent's, that should get you a good start towards something better. Stick with the Sony for now, you'll be happier in the long run with both your electronics and the performance of your 805's.

Just my opinion

Good luck!
                      Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                        • Jun 2006

buy the Classe...for your setup it's the way to go.

Comment

• chinets
                          • Jun 2005

Who be calling BOSE-O!!!!

BOSE-O !!! :rofl:

I guess I'm a Krell-O and Classe-O !!! and an HT ROTEL-O !!! :T

Hell-O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :E

Go used classe or used Krell if you want to save money!! If you go NEW ,buy the Rotel ,because you'll get the largest bang for the buck you will be paying ,and it's NEW!!! :T

Cheers!!!!!!!!

Comment

• ac81017
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by chinets
                            BOSE-O !!! :rofl:

I guess I'm a Krell-O and Classe-O !!! and an HT ROTEL-O !!! :T

Hell-O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :E

Go used classe or used Krell if you want to save money!! If you go NEW ,buy the Rotel ,because you'll get the largest bang for the buck you will be paying ,and it's NEW!!! :T

Cheers!!!!!!!!

Just think of those idoits who B&O or B-O! It stinks right! :rofl:

Comment

• chinets
                              • Jun 2005

ac81017,

Right-O !!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Comment

• BTB
                                • Jan 2006

Sorry chinets... no offence, but I think it's a shame to partner any of the 800 series speakers (or even 700's for that matter) with Rotel equipment. I used Rotel with mine for a few months. I tried to like it, and truth be told... the combination wasn't horrible, but ultimately I wouldn't describe it as the best I've heard B&W's sound. Ironic, considering the close links between the Rotel & B&W brands...

That said (to put my comments in perspective), I have finally given into the joys of valve amplification (after a long period of living in denial! ), so most pure solid state amplification sounds a little bright and hard to me.

ac 81017... Have you tried the 805's with those Vincents yet? Vincent makes some respectable stuff, maybe you will like the sound of the combination?

Comment

• gerardhn
                                  • Jun 2005

ac

according to all German magazins vincent makes very good amps at insane prices!
                                  (made in china, but german design with ML influence).
                                  read sereo, stereoplay and audio

Comment

• chinets
                                    • Jun 2005

BTB,

I agree with you, But ac81017 was looking for a good Amp with power to drive his 805s and at a low price, as he does not want to spend too much money, so I said Rotel. Now if he said to me I have tons to splurge on, I would go for Krell, Classe, Bryston, Mac and others, but he said he didn't want to spend a lot of money. So BTB read the Thread question before jumping to conclusions. ac 81017 specifically asked for a cheap Power amp that has power. What else can I say to put him on the right path. Either ( second hand) used Krell, Classe, Mac etc... ( I hate second hand stuff), or a brand NEW Rotel Power Amp. So I am NOT wrong ,you just did not read his question carefully and jumped to wild conclusions. Sorry BTB, but I am right here!!!!

My 2 cents,
                                    Cheers

Comment

• BTB
                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by chinets
                                      BTB,

So BTB read the Thread question before jumping to conclusions. So I am NOT wrong ,you just did not read his question carefully and jumped to wild conclusions. Sorry BTB, but I am right here!!!!
                                      It's amazing... you say "no offence" and express an opinion, and then someone feels their ego is offended and gets uptight. Relax dude.

Besides...you should take your own advice in this instance, he posted the original thread asking about Vincent amps with his 805's, and instead of anyone engaging his original question he got the usual... buy a Rotel, Krell, Classe, Bryston routine.

Whatever man, there's no need to get all uptight cause someone expresses an opinion that is different to the one you hold. Besides, how does all this hot air help the guy get closer to an answer to his original question?

Comment

• chinets
                                        • Jun 2005

Whoa!! BTB relax I think you are taking this personally!!!

I have no idea about Vincent amps ,so I cannot comment on that ,so I didn't.

The guy wants a cheap Amp to run his 805s, no more no less.

Maybe you misunderstood me or something??

Trying to help the man, that is all!!

Have a nice day BTB!!!

Cheers!!! "RELAX DON"T DO IT!"

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"