X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonewolf
    • Jan 2004

RSP-1066 12 volt trigger splittable??

Hi all,

Just got a query, i have a Rotel RSP-1066 and i am currently using its 2 12volt triggers for 2 power amps and i just got a third power amp. I was just wondering if i can use a 3.5mm splitter to have 2 3.5mm cables coming out of one 12 volt trigger so i can have all 3 power amps being powered by the 12 volt triggers. Would this work? Another thing is all my power amps use just plain wire so i have had to strip the plugs off one end of all the 3.5mm cables to use them, this isnt bad or it cant damage either the RSP-1066 or the power amps can it?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Plain wire is fine. As far as 3 out of two plugs, you need to find out how much each amp draws from the 12 trigger and then make sure the 1066 outputs enough mA to cover it.

Most likely you will have no issues.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Lonewolf
      • Jan 2004

Damn, it didnt work. I tried a 3.5mm splitter and my power amps didnt turn on, i suppose not enough amps are put through. Oh well unless i can figure out another way i guess i am going to always have to turn on and turn off one of the power amps , that sucks. Till i get a new preamp that has more 12volt triggers.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Get a 12v relay and a 12v power supply. Put the 12v+ of the power supply into the common side of the relay. Put the 12v+ side of all your amp triggers into the normally-open side of the relay. Tie the 12v- of the power supply and the 12v- of the amp triggers together. Hook up the 12v trigger out of the 1066 to the 12v coil side of the relay.

The 1066 will close the relay, causing the 12v power supply to energize the amp triggers. Should be less then $10 in parts.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Was the spitter a stereo or mono splitter? If its stereo that's likely why it failed...as a test can you trigger one amp if its still plugged into the spiltter? Also many amps have an amp trigger out that you can use to dasiy chain other amps.

Comment

• Lonewolf
            • Jan 2004

Yes the splitter was a stereo one, so that might have been the problem? I will try to find a mono one to test out then. You are right i should have tried one amp at a time through the stereo one to see where the problem might lie. one of the 3.5mm cables i am using is a stereo one as well but i stripped one end and use the stereo wires into one amp and that seems to work, can that cause a problem as well? These amps dont seem to have an amp out, just a 12volt trigger which only accepts plain wire.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Yup that'll do it you might be able to fine a stereo to mono adapter that would solve the problem.

Comment

• Lonewolf
                • Jan 2004

Good news, i finally got it working. I couldnt find a 3.5mm mono splitter so i bought a 3.5mm to RCA adapter then got a 1 RCA - 2 RCA cable and removed the plugs from the 2 RCAs and then connected up each RCA's plain wire to the amps. Now interestingly the first amp i tested it on wouldn turn on with it but when i tried the other 2 amps it worked fine so perhaps its because the first amp i tried was an older and a higher model (but same brand) so it needs more current. Anyway whatever the case i now have 3 power amps being turned on by the 2 12volt triggers so no more having to turn on and off one of the amps manually everytime. W00H00! Thanks for all the help and advice.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"