X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • probeski
    • Sep 2005

trigger power amps always on?

I wish to use the receiver as a switch for my various stereo rca connections to my tv speakers, I will be selecting the stereo rcas as the output into my TV speakers for general TV viewing. If I have triggers connected from my receiver to my power amps AFAIK they will still be turned on but since the stereo RCA output will be selected will my power amps be on but not active? Do power amps draw more or less power like this compared to standby mode or actual usage; will this type of use reduce their life? The reason I might use this setup is because the power amps are in a different room.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

they will still be turned on but since the stereo RCA output will be selected will my power amps be on but not active?
    Yes
    Do power amps draw more or less power like this compared to standby mode or actual usage; will this type of use reduce their life?
    Amps that respond to a trigger are in a stand-by mode unless they're unplugged or there's a real power switch on the back of the amp.

My Ayre V-5 amps have such since there's an on/off switch on the back of the chassis. With that switch in the 'off' position there nothing powered up in the amp. When the rear switch is 'on' there's a pseudo power switch on the front of the chassis that toggles the amps from stand-by to on.

Sitting in stand-by mode has minimal impact on the life expectancy of an amp.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

My power amps are also triggered, however, I am contemplating disabling this feature (vampire electronics) to conform to the "Green" standards.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• probeski
        • Sep 2005

I am considering Halcro MC20 and MC30 amps I wish to know if it is okay for Class D amps to be powerded on for lengthy periods but not actually used to drive speakers . I need the receiver as a switch when using the TV speakers but i also need the Halcro's to be triggered as they are in another room and don't have a remote. AFAIK Class D amps are more efficient and should draw less power but they are also expensive high end amps and am concerned that i will reduce their working life, any opinions?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"