X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

$$

Why is it so taboo to talk about the cost of our components? I've been seeking help (in various ways) finding HT components for less money and keep running into problems. People email me saying "it's wrong to talk about how much you paid for an item in a forum" or "I can't divulge where I got this price because the dealer asked me not to".

Huh?

I just don't get it. We're quick to share opinions and argue why one product is better than another but the second the topic of money comes up we stop talking. Shouldn't we celebrate our good deals too? If I find a good price I'd certainly love to help someone else get the same deal.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Well, there are situations where you get a super deal from a dealer, but he may not want everyone to know about what he did, during say, a tough time. I would respect the dealer, who gave me the good deal, if I want a good deal next time.

But sometimes, I don't mind discussing it, if it's something I purchased locally, what's the big deal? You guys aren't going to shop there anyway.

I got a great deal on my Rega Jupiter used. I won't say where I got it with the price in the same breath, but I will say the price.

I dunno, some people are just funny about dollars, it's like it's their paycheck or something I guess. lol.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Some people are afraid that their "significant other" will run across the thread and find out just how much they've spent. No kidding.

Personally, I don't mind talking price person-to-person. I generally don't feel comfortable putting prices out in a post as my financial situation may be better than someone else reading the post, and I don't care to waggle that in front of them. Just old school I guess.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Well, up here in Canada, good deals are hard to come buy so I have rarely been in a situation where I could brag about how little I paid for something. But I'd have to agree with Lex on protecting the dealer. There was a situation where my son was able to get me my lcd proj. at cost because of his connection, and he wouldn't want me bragging about that. His company has since changed hands and the good old days of buying at cost are now gone. But all in all, I don't mind telling anyone what I paid for any of my HT components.
        This is an interesting thread, though.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

I don't think that talking about great deals is taboo. Nor is saying I have "x" number of dollars to spend, "can anybody give me advice what can be had within that range?" Bragging about how much you have has always been boorish in all aspects of life. I think that is what is taboo.
          In one of the free issues of The Audio Perfectionist, I beleive the second issue, dollars spent on a sound system is covered very nicely. If you read it you will immediatly recognize some of the examples given of the different personalities.
          I have found these issues more informantive and helpful than any dealer or advice on the web. Just be ready to give up on some of your sacred cows and read them with a open mind.

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

Bragging about how much you have has always been boorish in all aspects of life. I think that is what is taboo.
            I totally agree. Luckily there seems to be a check on doing so. The moment you start to brag about your system someone will post with a system that costing more than your house.
            Forced humbling.

As for "protecting the dealer" I see this from a different perspective. If a dealer gave me a great deal I'd want to help them get more business by talking about it.
            Whatever 'deal' a dealer gives you is sure to be fiscally smart to the dealer. You're not going to find many successful dealers making deals that put them out of business. If he can afford it for one person he can afford it for another -even if it's not his normal practice.

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

You know....I could have sworn I deleted this thread.

After reading my initial post I decided it wasn't a good conversation piece...so I deleted it -and now it's back. Odd.

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                Former Moderator
                • Jan 2002

Originally posted by SiliGoose
                As for "protecting the dealer" I see this from a different perspective. If a dealer gave me a great deal I'd want to help them get more business by talking about it.
                Last year I spent sometime in an A/V store (Part time work) assisting the store manager during Christmas time. I must say that at times I'd B.S. about the great deal I am giving this one customer and ask them not to tell anyone about the deal I just gave them just to make them believe the deal is so good that it is almost a crime. Sometimes I'd even say "I will just play dumb and tell my manager I made a mistake on the price"

These are all sale tactics to "Close the deal" and/or "Make the customer feel special" I've used them over and over with my own company. It's the nature of the business, don't be fooled. The sales person knows the cost and markup on every item, he knows his margins. I've even gone as far as to know how to read other stores coding which appear on the price tags displayed. Believe me the cost price is buried in all those numbers you just have to know how to figure it out.

At times, I may be reluctant to say exactly where I bought an item depending on the situation but I would not be reluctant to say how much.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
                CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Patrick Sun
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

I'll tell you exactly how much I paid for my stuff, but that's because it's relatively cheapo stuff. I'm the frugal HT-dude.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
                  PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"