• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Monopolistic Price Gouging & a Case for Regulation

Monopolistic price gouging & a case for regulation-

Since I moved into our current neighborhood I have had basically two choices, Comcast or nothing. I do not include Dish because like many households, we bundle phone, internet & cable TV. Granted, this practice may not be typical of younger generations who seem much more adaptive to streaming & other products like Skype & HuLu, but I still feel us ‘old-timers’ account for a significant portion of communication & entertainment services. My current plan consisted of a long distanced digital ‘land-line’, internet with an ‘advertised’ download speed of 25 meg (more on this latter), & HD TV with a $10/ month sports package that gives me the speed channel, NFL network, NFL Redzone & few more college football games than normal (this does not include any extra hockey, baseball or any other access I am aware of). In addition, I also have 1 DVR/cable converter for the main LR system, an HD converter for the kitchen unit & an analog converter for the old CRT we use in the bedroom. No ShowTime, Cinemax or any other ‘premium’ access. Total cost $190/ month.

And probably like the rest of you, over the years I have had to interact with my service provider for things like upgrading to HD, service issues, etc. And each time I made an effort to have my service contract reviewed for any available reductions. In all the ages of dealing with any service provider not once have I received a reduction without asking for one, though according to the ‘agent’, these ‘special rates’ are available only to select customers. WACOS (What a Crock of Schiit).

Well don’t you know, Verizon fios decides to ‘come to town’ & over the past few months I have been watching as the new lines are run up & down our neighborhood street (most likely working in close consort with the community-based neighborhood beautification initiative). Then, as if by magic & out of the blue, via snail-mail (how ironic, BTW) comes a ‘special One Time Only offer’ for a ‘Service Review’ with a ‘priority customer’ special account manager. SCOSEBTTF (Second Crock of Schiit Even Bigger than the First)!

So after my phone call with Comcast, it seems I now qualify for all the premium movie channels including what they called the Comcast version of ‘Netflix’ WTHTI (Whatever the Hell that is?), access to all HD & premium channels from any converter box with no charge for the upgraded hardware, no charge for my DVR, no charge for the sports package & finally my internet DL speed will go from 25 to 50 meg. And all of a sudden my bill for this goes from $190/ month down to $150/ month. Of course, this requires a two year contract commitment. BCOSE (Biggest Crock of Schiit Ever). Is it not a wonderful thing how all my loyal years of check-writing have been so graciously rewarded? Yep, I took the deal. Why? Cuz I can back out anytime in the first thirty days.

Check back soon for a report on my upcoming call to Verizon fios …….
    Last edited by wkhanna; 03 January 2014, 08:53 Friday.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

And then at the end of that 2 years it'll shoot up to 300 a month I have to say Comcast was better than Time Warner on pricing though, we've ditched cable completely and gone the Hulu, Netflix route and use Ooma for our phone so the only thing we pay for now is Internet. I just can't justify that much money every month for TV/Phone service when we don't really use it that much. My kids seem to watch Youtube more than anything now days. We have a Google Chromecast which is pretty easy to use with a smart phone or tablet. But even so your package price seems pretty decent, Is it the same over the full 2 years? Time Warners are always for the first year and then the get jacked up all crazy. Unfortunately they are the only option around here.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I bet Verizon Fios comes in at $100 a month for the first year and then it'll jump to $150 to $170 with the same things as what Comcast is given. That's just a guess... I could be wrong though.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• technodanvan
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Yeah...I took the $150/month for 2 years deal through Cox. I haven't watched cable in years and I'm saddened to see it's even dumber than when I was in college. I can't believe the things people find popular. Total waste of money and I willingly walked into it anyway. Hard to blame the company when we're all just needy idiots.

I've often wondered if Cox, Comcast, Mediacom, and all the rest of them are all just the same damn company...
        - Danny

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

For $200 per month with Cablevision's top Optimum CATV package and Ultra 101 Internet Service, I get every premium channel they offer, and free movies on demand. When I've called their customer service in the past with service issues, without me asking, their reps recommended package changes that would get me more features for less money. Internet speedtests have shown download speed to peak at around 75meg and upload speeds about 40meg.

Comment

• Finleyville
            • Sep 2006

We in the 'Burgh area feel your pain Wkhanna. We added Comcast voice package to get the same tv content for less. We haven't even hooked up the phone and do not plan on it. As soon as the year promotion is up we plan on dropping the voice service. Meh.
            BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

I pay a lot for FiOS, but in the realm of things... I can't really complain all that much... they never slow my internet down (especially with how much uploading I do)...and the TV never has problems...and the HD is crystal clear.... I'm already 4K compliant (well FiOS is ready for 4K content).

Might as well switch Bill!
              -Dan

Comment

• impala454
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2007

I have FiOS internet only and while it's a bit expensive ($80/mo for 25/25), I'm out of contract and it's very reliable and fast. I'd probably give their TV a try if they offered it down here. There's some weird deal between them and Comcast which limits their expansion in my area. I'm just lucky to live in an apartment complex that got in on their "trial" of installing it in the area. Pretty nice considering Comcast was my only other choice and the lines in my building are so shot it barely even works (and the apartment complex butted heads w/Comcast to a stalemate on fixing them).

I also like Verizon's phone service (LTE speeds into the 50/15 range!), but I must say both it and the FiOS do seem rather pricey. I'll be re-evaluating both when my phone contract ends (November).
                -Chuck

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Update on my Comcast upgrade:

It took 4 calls over an 18 hour period to finally get the converter box in our bedroom working once the upgrade was "installed" via their network.
                  Their customer service is bad, & over the years has gotten even worse.
                  I have heard that if you wait till after 7 pm to call you likely get put thru to their contracted agents, as the regular full-time 'domestic' agents typically do not work beyond 'normal' business hours.
                  The last of my four calls was placed ~ 10 am, the three previous were the evening before. The agent i spoke with that morning told me the previous agents never looked to verify if my existing box had ever been initiated to work with the new upgrade. He went on to chide the competency of the contract agents telling me this was the third time that same morning he had to fix a simple basic problem not handled properly by 'contractors'.

A new HD converter box & higher speed modem also showed up on our doorstep one day this week.
                  I had told them I would install the hardware myself as I am not one of those who can, wants or cares to burn a perfectly good vacation day waiting around for their tech to show up.
                  I had told them I would go to the Comcast center near my house to drop off the old stuff & pick up the new, but the just sent it.
                  I have not hooked anything up yet since I have been quite busy repairing busted cooper water lines all thru my 135 yo house this week as the temps went below -10 F with 25 to 40 mph winds.
                  Needless to say, it has been a challenge, but it is amazing how downright bearable & even comfortable 25 F feels now.

So last night I went on-line to pay my current Comcast bill.
                  I check my account on their web site & guess what..........
                  My bill had gone from $190 to $230!

So after a 20 minute call with one of their 'contracted' agents who can not find any trace of information regarding my guaranteed discounts or special offer upgrade, here is what I end up with for the moment. He says he can give the discounts on all the new services that have been added to my account. I keep the new equipment, keep the premium movie channels (which I & even The Wife could care less about), & I get the upgraded internet speed from 25 to 50 meg free for one year, $10/ year afterwards. He tells me this is going to be $159 and to check back on my account after 48 hours & the bill should reflect all the changes.

Anybody care to make a wager that he will be correct?

Another funny thing is that when I agreed to the 'discounted upgrade' the first time I was required to leave my verbal 'signature' on a recording at the end of the call that was to be used as my commitment to the two year contract. No such commitment was mentioned or asked for on my last call.

I expect it to get quite interesting when soon tell them that I am going to Verizon fios.
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

I believe you have a 30 day grace period or something where you can get out of a contract. Or maybe it's 15 days. Honestly cable companies are the worse, but I've heard Verizon FiOS is pretty good with customer service and what not.

Comment

• wkhanna
                      • Jan 2006

They said 30 days the first time, but nobody since then can confirm the first agreement ever took place.
                      Once i ask to drop service i could imagine they might 'look' a little closer..........
                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

At least they aren't responsible for your music... then you'd be in trouble!
                        -Dan

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Bill, they sound like ARBOB (A Right Bunch of Bastards) to me.

Nigel.

Comment

• PewterTA
                            • Nov 2004

Isn't ARBOB... Comcast backwards?
                            -Dan

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"