• Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

CD Price Fixing lawsuit ends

CD Price Fixing Scam Settled
    United States (Oct. 01, 2002 - 07:05)

NEW YORK (AP) -- The five top U.S. distributors of compact discs and three large music retailers have agreed to pay $143 million in cash and CDs to settle charges they cheated consumers by fixing prices, authorities announced Monday.

The settlement brings to a close accusations made by attorneys general of 41 states and commonwealths who accused record companies of conspiring with music distributors to boost the prices of CDs between 1995 and 2000.

The companies broke state and federal antitrust laws, costing consumers millions of dollars, the attorneys general had charged in a lawsuit filed in August 2000 in U.S. District Court in Manhattan and later moved to Portland, Maine. A judge there must approve the deal.

The settlement calls for $67.3 million cash to be distributed to the states to compensate consumers who overpaid for CDs and to pay court costs and attorneys' fees.

Consumers who bought CDs between 1995 and 2000 can file claims for part of the money, prosecutors said. Announcements will be made later to tell consumers how to participate in the payout.

The settlement also requires 5.5 million CDs valued at $75.7 million to be distributed to public entities and nonprofit organizations in each state to promote music programs.

The settlement will be distributed according to state population, although attorneys in the case are still working to determine a formula. New York, for example, will receive about six per cent of the settlement.

Consumers in all 50 states will benefit under terms of the settlement, New York State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer said in a statement.

"This is a landmark settlement to address years of illegal price-fixing," Spitzer said. "Our agreement will provide consumers with substantial refunds and result in the distribution of a wide variety of recordings for use in our schools and communities."

The music distributors participating in the deal are Bertelsmann Music Group, EMI Music Distribution, Warner-Elektra-Atlantic Corporation, Sony Music Entertainment and Universal Music Group.

"We deny any wrongdoing," Warner-Elektra-Atlantic said in a statement. "We have made a business decision to settle these matters and avoid continuing with expensive and protracted litigation."

Nathaniel Brown, a Bertelsmann Music Group spokesman, noted that the settlement does not include any admission of wrongdoing. He said the company maintains that its pricing practices were "appropriate and lawful."

Sony declined to comment. EMI and Universal did not immediately return telephone messages seeking comment.

Also included in the deal were three national retail chains: Trans World Entertainment, Tower Records and Musicland Stores, a division of Best Buy Co. Inc.

Dawn Bryant, a spokeswoman for Musicland, said the company had no immediate comment. Trans World Entertainment spokesman John Sullivan said, "We were wrongly accused and nobody admitted any wrongdoing." Tower Records did not immediately return messages.

The lawsuit alleged that the companies -- upset with low prices charged by some stores -- conspired with retailers to set music prices at a minimum level, effectively raising the retail prices consumers paid for CDs.

• George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Why the dirty, rotten, lowdown, no-good scoundrels. I say give them all the electric chair. :x

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I just wonder what the amount of "fixing" per CD was? :F

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I would say about 4 bucks. It seems I remember CDs going from 12.99-13.99 to 17.99 pretty much all at once. Sounds right, doesn't it? Me? I haven't bought to much standard stuff, but bought quite a bit of jazz. I think the bulk of the litigation will be on new releases. However, who keeps receipts for CDs? Anyone? How on earth will they ever distribute anywhere near fairly?

Oh yeah, we didn't do anything wrong. That's why we are settling to avoid going to court. Yeah right! They had them cold, so they caved is more like it.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Of course what will come of this? Lower CD prices? I doubt it. And then the record companies complain how CD sales are down and are blaming piracy and are trying to make it legal to hack into people's computers and such, when it never seems to occur to them that (a) we're in a recession, (b) most music nowadays is garbage, and (c) the garbage is overpriced! :roll:

Funny how most of my CD purchases are 80s compilations...

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
          My HT Site

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

You think we've had it bad here?

I was just in the UK for two weeks the beginning of September. The British pound is worth about $1.45 to 1.50.

Current release CD's of major artists sell for 16.99 to 17.99 pounds in the UK- that's about $24 bucks each! Don't even ask me what the equivalent selling price for DVD-A and SACD is in UK- again, they're marked the same in pounds as we buy in dollars. Yes, there are special sale items, local artists and discount specials that drop the price to the 10 - 12 pound range, but that's still as high as our "normal" CD prices!

-Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Well, it's nice to see the good guys win a few! :yeah:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Eduardo
                Moderator emeritus
                • Jun 2002

Consumers who bought CDs between 1995 and 2000 can file claims for part of the money, prosecutors said. Announcements will be made later to tell consumers how to participate in the payout.

I wonder how? You would have to be very anal and saved all your receipts.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Well, any CD's with a copywrited date between those years should qualify regardless, correct? On older titles you purchased, yes you'll probably need a receipt.

Just reading tea leaves here. . . and trying to figure out how many CD's I purchased in those 6 years (it was a BUNCH).

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2001

Well, since the 5.5 million CDs were valued at $75.7M, that would seem to indicate the court thinks $13.76 is the fair price for a CD.

CDs in Japan were outrageously priced too (along with everything else except plumbers). It was cheaper to order from Amazon.com with shipping and import tax than buy local while I lived there.

It is good to know the labels can fail in court though, gives a little hope in the whole DMCA/copyprotection/legal hacking fiasco.

BB

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"