X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

It's a Deal: Sony VPL HS51, Sharp XVZ2000, Panansonic PT-AE900U

Here is the deal, called my dealer and told him I'm looking for a deal I can't refuse. He offered me the Sony VPL HS51 for $2496.00, however he also carries the Sharp XVZ2000. I know this is LCD vs digital. Is this a good deal? Has anyone compared the two? I currently have a screen with a gain of 1.0. I also am aware that the Sony's calibration is little more in depth.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,

Azeke
    Last edited by Azeke; 25 February 2006, 21:12 Saturday.
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Is it possible for YOU to compare the two? Or is your dealer just taking an order from you and getting the unit off the internet? :>)

When properly calibrated using AVIA or Digital Video Essentials and in a room with proper light control, the Sony HS-51 provides stunning, indeed, thrilling pictures -- detailed images with richly saturated colors and blacks that are hard to beleive come from an LCD. And thankfully, it is devoid of any vertical banding or rainbow effects. It also does not exhibit macro blocking with Farjouda-based video processors (such as found in the Denon DVD players).

However, for the best picture, don't try to go too big -- over eight feet diagonal and you'll probably have a fairly dim picture on a screen with unitary gain. However I've seen one that still looked pretty darned good in action on a 12 feet diagonal screen with nearly unitary gain in a totally darkened room. Can't say I liked the sound system in that dude's HT, but that's a different topic. ;>)

The price your dealer quotes isn't too bad for the Sony HS-51. You might be able to save a couple hundred more bucks buying online, but there is something to be said about buying from a local dealer, escpecially if they give you the opportunity to audition the products in your own home, have a generous return policy even with the decently low price and give genuine help if something goes wrong later.

I have never seen a Sharp projector that particularly impressed me, but since I have not seen the particular model you referred to, and don't want to discourage you from taking an objective look competing products before you settle on the Sony, :>) (meaning actually viewing the other gear in action in the same environment where you check out the HS-51 and deciding what you'll like the most in your own HT), I'll refrain from further comment on the Sharp.

Good luck and enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Thanks Burke, just as I thought, calibration with AVIA or DVE, that's pretty much what I had seen in my research, I certainly can handle that. I'm also aware that I can find it cheaper on line, but I've been dealing with the owner for a while now and he provides good quality service to me, therefore it is worth the few extra dollars.

As far as comparison, I'm not sure, I haven't spoken to him in reference to that. He only provided the discount for the Sony model, I called back and was told by one the salesman, that they also carry the Sharp model. However, I believe this is the one he is recommending for me.

The only other issue I found is that for the Sony to get peak perfomance you must use it in conjunction with a front end video processor such as DVDO (which I can't fit in my budget). I'm pulling teeth to get the wife to agree to this one . This will be my first step in upgrading to HDTV, once completed I will call D*TV customer retention and see what equipment upgrade deal they will provide, since I am loyal customer :T .

Once again, thank you for you input, it is much appreciated.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Azeke, the previous Sharp model 2000 apparently had poor video processing, but I haven't read much about the 2200. I did see the Sony HS51 ( or perhaps it was the HS50) demoed last year and there were some visible artifacts that kind of turned me off. But those problems may have been fixed in later models. I can say this, contrast was stunning.
        Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 15 February 2006, 12:16 Wednesday.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • May 2003

Panasonic currently has a $400 rebate on it's AE900 projector with comparable specs to the HS51 (which comes to under $1500 from the best price that I've seen after some reasearch). Also the new Optoma HD72 is under $2K on the 720p DLP side. :T

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Thank you gentlemen, I was actually considering the AE900, as well as the Sanyo Z4. Someone told me about the $400 rebate once before. I'll have to check to see how long it last. My wife is more amenable to that cost . Thanks. I heard that Costco is carrying this model, but didn't see it on the web site. Anyone seen it there?

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

1) Despite what the reviewer says on Projector Central, you DO NOT need an external scaler to get outstanding results with the Sony HS-51. That's for non-upconverted or upconverted DVDs as well as native high def sources including HDTV. So the essential going in cost is for the projector itself. Also the replacement bulbs for the HS-51 have been quoted at a very reasonable cost, although you shouldn't have to worry about that until you've enjoyed watching about 3,000 hours of video.

2) One of our local video gurus had suggested the Pannie AE700 to me due to its significantly lower price, and said that all he had to do to overcome its pronounced vertical banding (VB) was to let it warm up 20 to 30 minutes before he wanted to watch something and then play around with a few settings on the service menu, and then he was good to go. I'm sure glad he is enjoying it. :>)

That said, it sounds like that most AE 900 units are VB-free. But you would certainly want to return one if it were to have that problem, so that's another point in favor of working with a local dealer with a reasonable return policy.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I'm not sure what VB he's talking about with the AE 700. I've never really had any problems with my AE700 that I thought were attributed to the projector. (and not the media source)
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Okay, finally pulled the trigger on the Panny AE900U, the $400.00 rebate and the reviews that I've read were the kicker. Thanks gentlemen for your input throughout my purchasing process, you have been instrumental in my decision.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I think either the AE900 or the Z4 are fantastic deals right now. Good call, man! :banana:
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

Thanks Chris, I'm certainly excited. I'm going to mod my previous ceiling mount from my Epson projector, to mount the Panny.

Peace and blessing,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Congrats Azeke :T
                        Jason

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Thank you Sir Jason .

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Dean McManis
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • May 2003

Yeah, congratulations Azeke. :T
                            The AE900U is an amazing deal right now providing 720p and great image quality for that relatively low price.

Comment

• Azeke
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2003

Thank you Dean.

I have just upgraded my D*TV package to HD, (utilizing the MPEG4 compression fomat), with the 5 LNB Dish and the H20 receiver for free (with the $200.00 rebate), sweet.

I am wondering how much of a difference the DVI vs Component will provide, since I have the Rotel 1098 pre-pro with just component out.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • May 2003

I've watched a lot of HD material with both component and DVI (HDMI) connections and there is no easily discernable difference in quality between the connections. There might be something measurable, but I'm certain that the big reason why manufacturers have shifted to DVI/HDMI from VGA/progressive component connections is soley for copy protection reasons. 8)

Comment

• Azeke
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Dean McManis
                                  I've watched a lot of HD material with both component and DVI (HDMI) connections and there is no easily discernable difference in quality between the connections. There might be something measurable, but I'm certain that the big reason why manufacturers have shifted to DVI/HDMI from VGA/progressive component connections is soley for copy protection reasons. 8)
                                  Dean,

That is pretty much what I've seen through my research, minimal difference in DVI vs component, unless you have a very discerning eye, except of course the cost of the cables .

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Azeke
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2003

Here's the lastest:

I received the Panny 900U via UPS on Thursday, stayed up late preparing everything including screen modifications (had 4:3 screen turned it into 16:9). Out of the box the Panny was okay, but after some calibration, this is a wonderful projector. I have accessed the service menu, and perfomed some tweaking there as well, and it has a pleathorea of main menu options. I didn't want to leave the house, good bang for the buck (with the $400.00 rebate). Minimal fan noise, lens shift (however it has very coarse adjustments, but it is still manageable), not the best black levels, but definitely acceptable, and vibrant colors. I haven't had HD installed yet (Monday via D*TV). I am also awaiting, my 30ft. HDMI cable (found this cable at a very low cost) to see if there is any improvement vs. component. All and all I am happy with this purchase, I will tweak via the AVIA disk to fine tune later this week.

Once again thanks to all who helped me make this purchase and a special thanks to my lovely wife for allowing me to purchase it .

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
                                    Last edited by Azeke; 25 February 2006, 23:16 Saturday.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2001

Here's to many hours of great viewing, Azeke.
                                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Azeke
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2003

Thank you Sir George.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"