X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

How to power my new subs?

I've just closed a deal on 2 SVS 20-39cs. I don't have a good power source, yet. I've got an older Sony GX40ES receiver, which I think will do the job to start, but I know I won't be satisfied with its performance.

I can always go for the stock Sampson s700 from SVS.

I've thought of getting a 5 channel amp like the Adcom GFA7500, a 5x100W amp into 8ohm or 5x150W into 4ohm. That way I could have 3 spare channels for main duites whenever I upgrade my receiver. The current price is C$1,100 shipped, I need to add 7% tax ontop of that. But at only 150W I think I'd be 'underpowering' the SVS, which can handle 350W.

Another option could be to get an Outlaw 755, which is a 5x200W amp into 8ohm or 5x300W into 4ohm. But this would be more way more expensive than the Adcom, at US$1,299 to start and then add shipping and taxes and conversion to cdn$.

So here's what I have for my amp estimates:

Sampson C$860 = (389+35.46+45)*1.6*1.145; amp + ship + brokerage * xrate * tax
    Adcom C$1,177 = 1,100 * 1.07 amp+tax this is current May deal at Audioshop
    Outlaw C$2,380 = (1299+72)*1.6*1.145; amp + est ship * xrate * tax

At the moment the Sampson looks like the way to go. What other options should I investigate?

I have not decided if I am going to keep both, but it would be a shame not to try them out as a pair first.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Bob Santos
    • Mar 2001

Paul,
    A five channel amp where all channels share a power supply may not be the best way to go. The subs will definately be giving the power supply a work out. I think the other channels will suffer sharing the supply with the subs. A mono block design such as Sherbourn, Bryston, Proceed, or Citation may be a better way to go with a multi channel amp.
    Or ofcourse a seperate amp for the subs would be good.
    An Idea would be a Citation 7.1 bridged to 450W per channel work nicely. A little more power than you need, but a great amp at about $900 used. Plus if things change in the future you have a great 4 ch amp to use for other purposes. It is ratet at 150w per channel x4, or 450w per channel bridged to two channels.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

There's a nice looking crest power amp on HTF right now. You might also keep an eye out locally for a used pro amp. I managed to find mine locally for an incredible deal.

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Paul,

I run my 20-39cs with a 125w @ 8 ohms amp. While I'm too am curious what it would do at full power, I don't need it.

The pounding that I get when viewing movies in my HT is more than satisfying! :B And my sub has yet to be overdriven. I'm almost afraid to give it 350w.

I know the varibles between your setup (equipment, room, listening pleasure) are very different than mine. I just thought I would share how efficeint these subs are. And how good it sounds to me under- powered and all.

I also agree that you may want to consider a seperate amp to drive them, for the same reasons stated above.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Bob: Thanks for the info. I didn't even think of the overall power demands. I think I'll look for something dedicated to just powering the subs.

Pr@: I saw that amp, but I might as well spend the extra and get the Sampson. I know it will work and be supported. I'll be keeping my eyes open for any local deals.

John: I know that TV has mentioned in the past that any ordinary grade receiver that rated at "100WPC" would do fine. I'm hoping my Sony, which I think is rated at around 50WPC will work just as well. I'm betting my Sony is a true 50WPC while those "100WPC" are probably less in actual WPC. Who knows, I may be happy with the results.

What do people think about plate amps? I've seen some over at Parts Express for about US$150 each. I'm not sure how hard it would be set it up.

Paul

Paul

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

I 2nd the used pro amp idea. I'm using a Peavey CS800 to drive my SVS. 400 wpc into 4 ohms, the thing doesn't even break a sweat. It's a 2 channel amp so it'll be perfect for driving dual subs.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
            My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Perhaps a good used 2 channel Parasound. If you can find a 1500A, I can personally vouch for the job it does with my Velex subs (Shiva drivers), and not that incompatible with what you've got I would guess...

I bought mine from Ricky that's been here on the forum recently.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Ricky
                • Aug 2000

Paul,

I have two passive NHT sw3p 12inch subs (6 ohms, 87 dB sens) and have driven them with about 10 different amps, including citation 5.1/7.1, parasound 800II 100x2, HK signatures 2.1 100x5, samson s1000 340x2 , denon poa8200/8300 120 wpc, adcom 5300 80x2 parts express 100 plate amp, fosgate 4100 60x4, bridgeable to 200. The differences are hard to discern. And since the SVS subs are more efficient, I think 100 solid watts should suffice.

Are you going to place the two subs next to each other? Or in different parts of the room. If the latter, you might want to consider a stereo amp with two volume knobs on the front, to balance one sub playing louder than the other...a samson or used parasound 800II/1200 would work great. I thought that the adcom gfa7500 was 150x5 into 8 ohms. are you talking about the gfa7400? Also, my adcom 5300, fosgate, and plate amp (with black wooden enclosure) are sitting in the closet.....

Lex,

Glad my old 1500A is still working for you I just got its big brother, the 2200II 250x2 to drive my NHT 3.3s. The 1500A has one 1.0 kVA transformer; the 2200II steps up to two 1.2kVA units and biased in Class A (1st 8 watts, runs very hot).

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Paul,

I would not go under 100w. Mass does require some power.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ricky
                    • Aug 2000

Paul,

The parasound 806 is 80x6, pairs bridgeable to 180, retailed ~ $1200, 50 lbs...I think it can drive your SVS easily, bridged or unbridged. Here's one for $275, no reserve with 19 hours left; IMO, up to $350 is a fair price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1352538470

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"