X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Amp breathing space?

How much room should an amp have for airflow? I've got one of those racks that has a glass door in front and a pannel in the rear. I have not affixed the rear pannel securly, but have it such that I can't see the wall behind it as I look through the glass pannel.

I am looking to get a HK PA5800 and would like to stack on top of it a Sampson S700. I'm guessing at the moment that I'd have 1 inch clearance on each side and then I'd have however tall the feet of the Sampson for clearence above the HK.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Paul the HK amp runs very cool so I wouldn't be to worried about air flow to much. I have two of them stacked on top of one another and they're still running cool to the touch...now my old Musical Fidelity amp on the other hand was a space heater Point being some amps generate more heat then others depending on a number of factors but the HK PA5800 isn't one to be concern about.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

My Yammy A3090 used to run pretty hot ( or so it seemed ) in the rack so I moved it to the outer top shelf. When I replaced it with the Denon 3801 I just left the receiver on the top shelf.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Well, I removed the glass door from the front of my cabinet to improve circulation. Don't forget, all components generate a little heat, so moving to separates will increase the overall heat level.

Another thing I did, was remove the factory back, you know those fiber board things with woodgrain on them, or black. I laid it out on a piece of 1/4" paneling, good heavy stuff, and cut the back the same size. I then held it up to the back, to cut air and cable slots, close to the size of the components. Leaving cross support around where the shelves were located. I then installed the piece in the place of the factory fiber board, and whala. A strong, yet open cabinet back!

Needless to say, I have excellent heat disipitation.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"