X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stan461
    • Apr 2005

B&W wannabie

What is a good starter B&W? I don't care if it's used. I am leaning towards a 801 Matrix series 2 but am open to suggestions. I have a budget of $1500 USD. My room is 22X20. I have an Odyssey Stratos amp and an Adcom 555 preamp. Any suggestions?
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Hi Stan and welcome to the wonderful world of B&W. First of all, you don't have to feel bad about wanting B&Ws by calling yourself wannabie. It's great that you've been exposed to the realm of great speakers. One good thing about B&W owners is that the majority of B&W owners take VERY good care of their speakers, so when you buy a used B&W speakers, you're getting a speaker that's almost as good as new. Think of it the same way Porsche owners take care of their Porsches. Really. I think most of the owners on this forum will agree.

You have a great amp and preamp to begin with, and there are a lot of options for $1500. Are you looking for just a pair of speakers, or $1500 for a full home theater setup? I'm going to assume you are looking just for a right and left speaker.

You can easily find the 802 Matrix Series 3 for around that price. The 801 still might hold it's value closer to $2000, but I'm sure you can find it at a good price if you keep looking. You can also pick up a pair of Nautilus 805 for that price. I think if you want newer technology and a floorstanding speakers, than the 700 series is going to fit you best. Some people don't care for the 700 series, but if you listen to a very broad range of music, I think these will definitely fit you as they do excellent with almost any type of music you throw at it.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• tboooe
      • Jun 2005

for that price you can almost get the new 805S used...check out audiogon.

Comment

• stan461
        • Apr 2005

Thanks for the responses.

Will an 805 fill a 22X20X8 room? I'm not looking to get ear-bleeding SPLs but enough not to be aenemic. Looks like the 805 requires stands. How far apart can you place the model 805?

My listening preference is 75 percent symphonic pieces. Mybe an older 801 or 802 better fits this requirement.

Any more help will be appreciated.

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Yes, my room is almost that big and I now feel my 805s have found the perfect matched room size. They really have come alive with the amount of space they have now. Now as far as SPL, the 800 series can get pretty loud. The 805s are rated at 120watts yet I have a Parasound 200watts and they can play LOUD. I won't say Cerwin Vega loud... that's like concert loud, but just as loud as any speaker I've owned. If you like symphonic pieces, a bookshelf size speaker and sub might not be the answer to you. It seems a floorstanding might be better for you. I've never compared the new 805s with the Matrix 801/2 so I can't say anything. I've heard the Matrix 802 S3 and thought they sound wonderful, but so does the 805. But for the lower frequencies, I think you might prefer a floorstanding speaker.

Where do you live?
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• stan461
            • Apr 2005

Staten Island, N.Y.

Comment

• scottielee
              • Apr 2005

i never need to turn the volume to the max to have my signature 805 come alive in our 25' x 15' x 10' living room. i placed them 6' apart with toe-in.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"