• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Something I would like for folks to read

Hello folks.

Today, one of our moderators quit. It came at a most inopportune time for me today, as I was mentally down and out already relating to my day job. I just didn't need this today.

Today, I was shell shocked yet again by the Director that has proved to be a thorn in my side for just over a year. First as a team leader, now as the guy with ultimate authority. I slammed his door loudly when I left the office today. It wasn't pretty. Fact is, I almost walked for good. But opted to take a week's vacation next week, before being yet again jerked around. This time though, at least to a team leader that appreciates my talents and likes me.

But that's not what this is about really. It was brought to my attention that what is read as a near constant mention of CAT Cables seems to offend some people here at HTGuide. Even my making a damn joke about it. I ask you, is this really worth leaving a forum over?

I would like to remind each of you, that each forum has it's hot buttons. Things that are discussed frequently, and almost ALL the forums have a cable company that seems to be thrust at folks day in and day out. Some may have hidden agendas. We really don't at HTGuide. Yes, I own part of htguide, and all of CATCables.com. Is that really so bad? Can't there be good that comes out of such a relationship without me having to wear kid gloves all the time worried about being politically correct, so as not to offend the masses with my casual mention of CAT?

Do, I really do that here? YES, AT FIRST, I DID TALK A LOT ABOUT CATS That was the first couple of months CAT was in business. Hell, folks, I was excited! I thought I was doing something good for the audio video community and sharing it with you. Is it all just about personal greed and wealth though? Tell me, those that know me, is that what CAT is all about? How much money do you think I have really made here? Any? CAT is about the pride of doing something from nothing, creating something that might be appreciated by at least a few, maybe even put on a pedastal by some. A legacy, something I did, that nobody else did. Something original, something significant.

But actually, as of the last few months there's been little talk of CAT, except a few announcements by me. Yet, yesterday or day before, I threw out a casual statement, a joke, that's seen as the straw that broke the camel's back by one, maybe more.

I am really looking for answers here folks. I am open to suggestions. Are we really so sensitive, that we can't enjoy watching a company grow from nothing, and maybe, just maybe become something? Are there not lessons to be learned from discussing the inside of an audio video business? I gave you guys glimpses of prototypes, explained why I do some things the way I do, and tried to involve you. Maybe that was the wrong choice. I don't know.

I just know I had to speak up, and tell you how I feel, before everyone leaves the forum because of CAT. But if they do that? Well, CAT goes on. CAT is not going anywhere, and neither am I. So, I guess if that offends you, there's only 2 choices. Get over it, or go somewhere else.

There I said it, now I will never say it again.

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Bring On the CATS!

To me CATS are a big part of the Guide just like SVS is a big part of another Forum.

It's unfortunate that this person decided to leave. Not only did they leave behind a great Forum but also left the freindship of a great group of guys!

Long Live HTG..
    Now when are we going to start selling T-shirts.

Keep up the good work Lex!
    Don't let this get you down.
    Thanks for such an excellent Forum..
    You and Mats have something special here.

Thanks,

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• GregoriusM
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2000

Doug:

Like I've said in another forum - "If you don't want to read the thread - DON'T!" Same thing here. If someone doesn't want to read about CAT Cables, then they can read the next thread.

Personally, I take great joy in someone else's joy. I'm not a "regular" regular, but have really enjoyed watching you start your company and seeing it grow.

I was over at Andrew's a week or two ago and finally saw a couple of your creations, and was suitably impressed. I also thought it was cool that I "knew" the guy who made those cables, and the care that went into their design and production.

Be proud of what you've accomplished - both this site and your CAT Cables. I'm proud of you! It takes courage and hard work to do what you've done!

And personally, I'd like to keep up with what's happening at CAT, what the new cables look like when they come out, and share in your joy and pride, if you'll let me.

Chin up! Chest out! :-)

... Greg
      Gregor

Comment

• Chip
        • Aug 2001

I like the "Cat announcements".. Don't sweat the small stuff Lex, really. Keep it up pal! BTW... my Black Cat variant is still the sweetest looking cable coming outta my B&K 307, lol.. Have a good day all, i gotta work (Saturday, ehhhh)

- Chip

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
        Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Sorry to hear about your bad day and subsequent rough ride Lex.

I don't mind the Cat posts and feel you are just one of those friendly industry folks, giving us the scoop on new product introductions.

carry on!

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

Lex,
            While I find people who are constantly pushing whatever components they own very boorish, and frankly seldom helpful in their posts, you have never done that with Cat Cables. You have simply stated that they exist, and your posts have been humorous and not at all offensive and never putting down other peoples choices in cables. I wouldn't change a thing.
            As for that S.O.B. at work, in this financial climate, you might want to consider a little peace making.

Comment

• greynolds
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I have no problem with the posts about your cables. The only thing I would change is the name - I'm partial to dogs . Just think of the marketing possibilities - "this cable is a real dog of a performer."

Good luck with things at work.

Geoffrey Reynolds
              Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I don't see anything wrong with the subtle hints/jokes towards Cats. I think that you should continue to be who you are! Most joined this forum because they "know" that you are a good person.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Congrats on having a great site and company!!!

Signed,

A proud member of HTG!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

Cat Cables? Never heard of it. Don't know what you're talking about. Starting to think you guys are quite looney.

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• SiliGoose
                    • Aug 2000

BTW, I'm still waiting for a moderator discount.

-Sili
                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

For a weekend, that's a nice level of support. Thanks guys. I really needed the reassurance. Really, I knew in my heart, that most of you supported my endeavor with CAT, whether you buy my cables or not. And really, I am not out to put CATs in every theater that belongs to an HTGuide member. (Ok, it's a long term goal, lol) JK. See, I can't help but make jokes, it's what I do.

Sili, of all people knows this. Our bantor back and forth dating back to Digital Theater was classic at times, right Sili?

Lex
                      Doug

Comment

• Crimson
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Hogwash. This particular rationale for quitting is either a pre-menstrual mood swing, or an excuse for getting out.
                        Keep on purrin', Lex.

Q.
                        Q.

Comment

• Nate-Dogg
                          • Sep 2000

I wouldn't visit this forum if you weren't the moderator Lex!

Forgetaboutit !

Who ever complained prolly has a bigger problem than Cat Cables.

I wen't to you're site and I can't believe how good the Tigress look. Compared to the flimsy quality of the competition.

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Thanx Chip, Nate!

BTW Nate, your cable shipped yesterday! So, you should receive it by Wednesday.

Lex
                            Doug

Comment

• Markj
                              • Aug 2000

I want to let you know Lex that what you have done doesn’t bother me in the least. In fact I think its been cool that much of the Cat posts have been about asking for opinions. In a small way being ask for opinions has added to the casual and fun atmosphere here. Just like Alpha has asked for volunteers to test some of their discs and there has been threads reviewing Alpha discs. I think this gives this site the uniqueness that is needed to be successful on the web. Damn the torpedoes full steam a head.

And if moderators get a discount, can long time members too.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Fugeddabotit !
                                Long live CAT. Long live HT Guide.

My Homepage!
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Sep 2000

This is my first visit after leaving as moderator, and I must say, Lex your at it again.
                                  I wish you could get ahold of your emotions.
                                  You tried to goat me into fighting with you over this, then you tried to lay your guilt trip on me.
                                  As I stated before, I just don't need it.
                                  Where did you hear anyone spreading the "I hate ht guide"??? I haven't said one word to anyone, nor would I even think of such a thing, but with you coming in and making this kind of fact-less accusation perhaps I should start living down to your level???
                                  Please stop with this unfounded crap, I'm not that way, I prefer to let bygones be bygones, but if that's not your style...well just fight with yourself.
                                  I'm truely sorry this hurt you so bad, and like I said in my e-mail to you, I did want to stay a member here, but after seeing your true colors I'm gone.
                                  Now you can slander me all you wish.

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

No, I didn't try to goad you into a fight. I first tried to reason with you, and you just flat couldn't see it at all. Was I mad? Yeah, I was mad after that, I took it damn personal, as CAT is me, and I am CAT. I have worked hard on CAT, and I don't appreciate it being put down, or even the promotion of it, in any form or fashion.

Maybe I got carried away with the i hate htguide thing. You didn't say that, but the way you said some others were feeling about my pushing CAT here, that's how I felt of what you said.

Sorry you feel that way about leaving, but obviously, there's no reasoning with you, as most would have been reasonable enough to understand what you left over was a joke. Most everyone else seems to have seen my comment for just what it was pure and simple, a joke. Really, if anyone was getting mad and leaving, it should have been Mark, as he was the only person the comment was addressed to, but Mark is fine with it.

I never mentioned your name here, I said A Moderator. Your the one that brought your name into it, so there, it's all out in the open.

Yes, I told you I did not need this that day, as I had a helluva day. sorry if you couldn't understand that. I was totally stressed, and sorry if I took some of that out on you. No guilt trip now!

I am not "at anything", You left, and I was looking for answers, and told it like it was as best as I could.

Now, you can go in peace, to whatever else interests you. We are doing just fine here. We never like to loose a member, but in this case, well, that looks like your final answer, so goodluck to you.

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                    Doug

Comment

• efarstad
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jun 2001

Though not around as much as I'd like to be, if it wasnt' for Lex and his cat's I wouldn't have found HTG....(insert wheeping Norwegian here)! Love you guys and Lex...keep it coming baby! :B

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                      E-Cinema

Comment

• Dave Rubin
                                        • Aug 2000

Lex, I am certainly not a frequent contributor here, although many of the old timers may remember me. After all, I have known you, and have posted to your boards, since the days when you first became a home theater moderator, well over 3 years ago.

I also am not a "high end cables guy".

But what is pertinent to this discussion is the the warm friendship that you and I have maintained throughout the years, despite the fact that I might not fit "the mold". I have been honored that you have consulted with me, and trusted me, on some of your critical business decisions. And even with this level of involvement, I have never felt any undue pressure in regards to my own personal decisions. For any who may question the propiety of your discussions of CAT on these pages, I hope they may come to see it as I do....an opportunity to share in the experiences and excitement of a dear friend who happens to be a great entrepreneurial spirit!!

And for the record, I have also been privileged to witness times when you have forsaken profit and expediency to do the right thing for customers....and you have done so without regret! I have tremendous respect for you as a person, Lex, and as an ethical businessman. Here's to your success!!

Comment

• Lex
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Apr 2001

Erik, thanks!

Dave, I am speechless. Well, almost. Dave's insight into many things has always seemed surreal to me at times. It seems whenever I have something to ask his advice on, his wisdom and ability to see both sides of things is beyond comprehension to me. But that's not really how our friendship started. But I found that he's a guy that always shows me the other side, to issues that I probably wouldn't have seen without him. Thanks Dave, for being well, you, and for being my friend!

Lex
                                          Doug

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"